Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Monaco

Discuss anything non Z4 related here

Does Monaco still have a place in modern F1?

Yes, it has a place
52%
No, it doesn't have a place
48%

Total votes: 33

Flyingfifer

Monaco

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon May 31, 2021 10:58 am

I am a bit hot and cold with F1 some years I watch religiously and others I dont pay any attention at all, on that note I'm far from an avid diehard fan but the last race I sat and watched (god knows why) obviously the Monaco circuit has LOADS of motorsport history and gravitas BUT is that enough to justify its ongoing inclusion in the F1 calendar given that they could basically have called it quits on the Saturday :?
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Monaco

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 31, 2021 2:28 pm

I think the cars have developed past the capabilities of the circuit.
It is now a qualifying day, followed by a procession.
Now................ give them all 1950/60s Maseratis, Coopers, Vanwalls etc and that would be a race!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Monaco

Post by Pondrew » Mon May 31, 2021 2:40 pm

I am a massive F1 fan (well Lewis and Williams fan really) and have watched every race for at least the past 15 years.
I have to say that when I saw it was Monaco last week, I nearly didn't bother watching. It was probably the worst "race" I've ever fallen asleep to! Even for Monaco it was tedious.
It won't be dropped any time soon, though. Lots of beautiful, rich people ascend there every year for the F1 weekend and it makes quite a few even richer. The drivers love it, too.
Voted NO BTW
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Monaco

Post by Jembo » Mon May 31, 2021 3:08 pm

How about if they shrunk the width of the cars by 75cm, then IMO that’d make it far more challenging to drive, easier to overtake & tracks like Monaco would come alive again
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

blunderthumbs

Monaco

Post by blunderthumbs » Mon May 31, 2021 7:22 pm

Sometimes watching paint drying is less boring than Monaco. F1 has outgrown the street circuit and it's not about the race anymore. :thumbsdown:
2004 Black Sapphire 3.0L SE. Red leather. Back box delete. Clutch valve delete. Roof motor relocated. 18" M star spoke style 193. Machine Monkey exhaust tips. Gap Tec. ZHP Gear knob. Clear side repeaters. Zun Sport lower grille.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Monaco

Post by Nanu » Mon May 31, 2021 7:42 pm

blunderthumbs wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:22 pm Sometimes watching paint drying is less boring than Monaco. F1 has outgrown the street circuit and it's not about the race anymore. :thumbsdown:
It's much more fun to watch the yachts and the female adorning them than the race.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Monaco

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 31, 2021 8:07 pm

AnilS

Monaco

Post by AnilS » Mon May 31, 2021 8:37 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:40 pm I am a massive F1 fan (well Lewis and Williams fan really) and have watched every race for at least the past 15 years.
I have to say that when I saw it was Monaco last week, I nearly didn't bother watching. It was probably the worst "race" I've ever fallen asleep to! Even for Monaco it was tedious.
It won't be dropped any time soon, though. Lots of beautiful, rich people ascend there every year for the F1 weekend and it makes quite a few even richer. The drivers love it, too.
Voted NO BTW
This sums it up perfectly.
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Monaco

Post by Pondrew » Mon May 31, 2021 9:40 pm

Ok, look at it another way. If you are an F1 fan and a millionaire, with the chance to go and see just one F1 weekend live, which would it be?
Silverstone; a bleak airfield in Northamptonshire?
Azerbaijan?
I think it would be a unanimous Monaco, no?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Monaco

Post by buzyg » Mon May 31, 2021 10:45 pm

TitanTim wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:07 pm Always worth posting,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCv-dIFGcd0&t=150s

Tim.
Never seen that before. Far better than watching last weekend. :thumbsup:

brillomaster

Monaco

Post by brillomaster » Mon May 31, 2021 11:23 pm

Its a yes from me. Sure its not got much, if any, overtaking, but its got history and glamour in spades, and its a unique challenge on the f1 calendar.

I could probably name half a dozen tracks in the current f1 calendar id bin before binning monaco.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Monaco

Post by GuidoK » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:20 am

I think street circuits in general should be a part of F1.
Due to their different nature it might suit other teams better than the regular teams.
Also the room for error is much less.
And especially monaco has such a history with F1. Having the fans and jetset so close to the track creates a very different atmosphere.
Overtaking at Monaco (any street circuit really) has always been a difficult matter.

And I think the last monaco F1 race prooved that it can also greatly tip the balance.
It gave a new championship and constructorsship leader, and it also created a podium with drivers that had never been on that (monaco) podium.
That is also something that doesn't happen often.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Monaco

Post by TitanTim » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:45 am

Did anyone ever go to the Birmingham Superprix in 86?

Think it was an August Bank Holiday and went with my dad and it hissed it down all day. We chose a spot too close to the track so the spray never cleared and never really saw the race just heard it :oops:

Think we left early in the end.

https://youtu.be/MTmoQOu8ULk

Tim.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Monaco

Post by GuidoK » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:32 pm

TitanTim wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:45 amWe chose a spot too close to the track so the spray never cleared and never really saw the race just heard it :oops:
Can you imagine what those drivers see? :o :lol: (except the one that drives in front of course)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Monaco

Post by TitanTim » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:55 pm

GuidoK wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:32 pm
TitanTim wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:45 amWe chose a spot too close to the track so the spray never cleared and never really saw the race just heard it :oops:
Can you imagine what those drivers see? :o :lol: (except the one that drives in front of course)
It was a shame really, only time it ran and it belted it down, think it was Hurricane Charlie that year :)

I think the licence to allow motor racing in the city is still in place but I think the fly in the oitment now would be the city centre has been declared a clean air zone as from today :headbang:

There is always FormulaE :cry:

Tim.