Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Used car prices going mad

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Fri May 28, 2021 7:40 am

TitanTim wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:07 pm From reading other forum experiences, the value WBAC quote will be for an absolutely spot on unmarked mint car, FSH, 6 months plus MOT so any stone chips, dings, wheel scrapes then expect the quote to tumble like a rock which most cars will have to some degree. Understand they don't like modifications either.

Out of interest asked for a quote for my 16 year plate M140i with 780 miles on the clock, still factory fresh and they've quoted £16100. I would imagine they would get 20/21k selling it on so would make a nice fat profit.

I've heard Motorway offer higher values but end of the day they will entice with a juicy quote then knock the value down upon inspection.

Still it's a good way disposing of a motor quickly if selling privately doesn't appeal.

Tim.
wizzle is the way forward. Let the dealers bid on your car. I’ll always put a car on there before selling private.

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri May 28, 2021 6:32 pm

Saw BMW 330e advertised at £17999 on Wednesday night. Rang the BMW dealership in Stevenage at 9.00am on Thursday morning. I was told the car had gone up to £21000. When I queried the new price I was told without any hesitation it was simply ‘market forces’. So basically tough if I didn’t want to pay the new price someone else would.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun May 30, 2021 9:15 pm

IRD wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:32 pm Saw BMW 330e advertised at £17999 on Wednesday night. Rang the BMW dealership in Stevenage at 9.00am on Thursday morning. I was told the car had gone up to £21000. When I queried the new price I was told without any hesitation it was simply ‘market forces’. So basically tough if I didn’t want to pay the new price someone else would.
Yeah right, I would walk away from it immediately - that's almost price gouging on a small scale, crazy world right now :thumbsdown:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

IRD

Post by IRD » Sun May 30, 2021 10:06 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:15 pm
IRD wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:32 pm Saw BMW 330e advertised at £17999 on Wednesday night. Rang the BMW dealership in Stevenage at 9.00am on Thursday morning. I was told the car had gone up to £21000. When I queried the new price I was told without any hesitation it was simply ‘market forces’. So basically tough if I didn’t want to pay the new price someone else would.
Yeah right, I would walk away from it immediately - that's almost price gouging on a small scale, crazy world right now :thumbsdown:
I did and suggested his parents had never been married! However I have found another car with fewer mikes on the clock at a lower price and collect it next Saturday. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun May 30, 2021 11:02 pm

I did and suggested his parents had never been married! However I have found another car with fewer mikes on the clock at a lower price and collect it next Saturday. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Me to - this type of company deserve to go bust when things return to normal.

Thats good new Ian, I had one on test for a weekend last year and they are a great drive, I take tithes is the older version so arouf 17 miles in electric mode? :thumbsup:

Will be my next company car for certain
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Mon May 31, 2021 8:03 am

Any thoughts on when the bubble might burst.

I bought a car (new) last year that I'm not really jelling with and now might be the right time to get rid.

thx

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Mon May 31, 2021 10:54 am

There have been discussions on another thread related to price of used G29s and in particular, prices being offered by WBAC. Used prices are regularly increasing as numbers and availability is very limited currently.

Out of interest (my G29 won’t be sold anytime soon as it’s simply fabulous) I explored valuations via WBAC for my M40i First Edition which is two years old in June and just shy of 12000 miles. I bought it with a few hundred miles on the clock as a pre reg from BMW in November 2019 with a significant reduction off the new price. A few weeks ago WBAC was offering £37000. The valuation has continued to increase and is currently at £39350. Amazing!
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon May 31, 2021 11:06 am

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:03 am Any thoughts on when the bubble might burst.

I bought a car (new) last year that I'm not really jelling with and now might be the right time to get rid.

thx
Unfortunately it’s a how long is a piece of string…….

I’ve mentioned previously about the perfect storm, lack of 2nd hand cars mainly due to no new car sales, no trade ins, no auctions and for some people plenty of COVID money/payments.

IMO that’s starting to change, there’s at least 4 of us expecting delivery of new build G29’s, some as early as the next few weeks, so if that’s a general trend then the trade ins/2nd had market will be getting a lift with more cars becoming available. I’d imagine that will be happening across the board in some way. Supply should increase meeting demand better, so prices should stabilise or drop. There’s also the seasonal factor.

The other thing is how sought after the car you want to shift is (to the appropriate market) and also if you want/need to replace it with something else? If you keep yours due to increasing prices it’s replacement may be following the same path so you’ll get more for your but pay more.

In your position I’d be looking at 1st, would I be happy with the price I get today and 2nd, how much out of my pocket to change?

If you’re just selling only you know what you’d be happy to accept.

If I’d sold my 35iS now instead of 6/8 weeks ago I’d have very likely got slightly more money for it today, but I was happy with the price I got (and still am) and happy with the deal on my new one and to me that’s what matters :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon May 31, 2021 11:12 am

Obs-Com wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:54 am There have been discussions on another thread related to price of used G29s and in particular, prices being offered by WBAC. Used prices are regularly increasing as numbers and availability is very limited currently.

Out of interest (my G29 won’t be sold anytime soon as it’s simply fabulous) I explored valuations via WBAC for my M40i First Edition which is two years old in June and just shy of 12000 miles. I bought it with a few hundred miles on the clock as a pre reg from BMW in November 2019 with a significant reduction off the new price. A few weeks ago WBAC was offering £37000. The valuation has continued to increase and is currently at £39350. Amazing!
    Obs, I’ve contributed to that thread a fair bit because I’ve been keeping a very keen eye on it and the 35 market for obviously reasons :lol:

I posted on there recently that there’s a 6 month old AUC M40i G29 with 2 out of the 5 options pack that I’ve ordered on it. By the time you add RFL and a tank of fuel to the 2nd hand one it around the same price as my fully loaded brand new one. Only made sense to buy a new one so we were prepared to wait :thumbsup:

I think Ori is in a very similar position to you, he’s stated if his increases in value much more it make sense for him to sell his an but a brand new one.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

IRD

Post by IRD » Mon May 31, 2021 12:55 pm

Offers for my (now sold 3.5is) from WBAC increased from just over £9000 to £13000 in just a couple of months and they are still pestering me. Happily my car went to another forum member at a price we were both happy with. I got a fair price he got a first rate car. One of the benefits of the forum. It’s mutually beneficial. :thumbsup:

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Mon May 31, 2021 4:33 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:06 am
      Unfortunately it’s a how long is a piece of string…….

I’ve mentioned previously about the perfect storm, lack of 2nd hand cars mainly due to no new car sales, no trade ins, no auctions and for some people plenty of COVID money/payments.

IMO that’s starting to change, there’s at least 4 of us expecting delivery of new build G29’s, some as early as the next few weeks, so if that’s a general trend then the trade ins/2nd had market will be getting a lift with more cars becoming available. I’d imagine that will be happening across the board in some way. Supply should increase meeting demand better, so prices should stabilise or drop. There’s also the seasonal factor.

The other thing is how sought after the car you want to shift is (to the appropriate market) and also if you want/need to replace it with something else? If you keep yours due to increasing prices it’s replacement may be following the same path so you’ll get more for your but pay more.

In your position I’d be looking at 1st, would I be happy with the price I get today and 2nd, how much out of my pocket to change?

If you’re just selling only you know what you’d be happy to accept.

If I’d sold my 35iS now instead of 6/8 weeks ago I’d have very likely got slightly more money for it today, but I was happy with the price I got (and still am) and happy with the deal on my new one and to me that’s what matters :thumbsup:
      thanks for the response.

it's a 2020 Supra and a 3rd car. no plans to buy anything else any time soon. maybe a facelift gen1 R8 in the winter (the car I should have bought instead of the Supra). I've put it up for sale on Wizzle and Motorway. I have a price I'd be willing to let it go for so if I get that off it goes.

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon May 31, 2021 5:51 pm

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:33 pm I've put it up for sale on Wizzle and Motorway. I have a price I'd be willing to let it go for so if I get that off it goes.
      :thumbsup: Hopefully it gets to your ask. Given so many shared parts with the G29 and there’s a struggle to get them increasing demand for 2nd hand the Supra will be in the same category

Old-Duckman

Post by Old-Duckman » Mon May 31, 2021 6:02 pm

Over here in the States used cars are at a premium. Major car dealerships are offering to buy your car and you do not have to be buying a new car from them...that was unheard of in the past.

What I've read that a major factor is the lack of "chips" (microchips for car computer systems etc.) are in short supply and the chip manufacturers can not fill the demand of auto manufacturers. Do a web search on "chip shortage automotive 2021". You'll find more articles on that then you would care to read.

So new cars are harder to get as manufacture of them is stifled, therefore used cars are desirable...the old supply and demand thing.

One article I read said that two of the largest car rental companies, Hertz & Avis, are now buying used cars at auction to have vehicles available for rental.

AnilS

Post by AnilS » Mon May 31, 2021 6:56 pm

SiJar wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:25 pm I would not get too excited about WBAC as they always quote you a higher price than what they actually give you. Their technique is to get you into one of their centres and then knock a substantial amount of money of it for such minor things. A single stone chip or minute scratch identified which you did not declare will have a substantial amount of money knocked off that figure.
        This has been my experience a few years ago.
        E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

True-Blue
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Mon May 31, 2021 9:29 pm

I’ve been coming up to London every 3 weeks since the beginning of the year for my Mrs Chemo. London has been dead. Came up today for treatment tomorrow and the Southbank was very, very busy. People eating out, pubs full etc.

I personally think prices will start to drop in the relatively short term, as people are able to return to their normal spending habits, especially for non-practical sports cars. The chap who bought my E89 said ‘We have 3 holidays a year normally, we can’t this year, so we thought we’d buy a Sports car’

If you have a car you want to cash in on, I don’t think you should wait too long.

The TTs won’t be going anywhere, was cheap enough to ride out a bit of a market collapse and.... I can’t keep the Mrs out of it, puts a smile on my face every time I see her ‘potter’ off in it :D :rofl:
        Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i