Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Autotrader Price indicator Tags

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Street

Post by Street » Tue May 25, 2021 9:35 am

I have a little app that tracks changes on AT.
Ads initially have no price indicator (Higher, Fair, Lower), then I can only assume their algorithm churns overnight labelling each one.

I saw a Z4MC appear yesterday priced £17,250 with 121k miles on the clock. A very high price IMO but it’s being sold by BMW direct and has all sorts of kit on it.

The site as expected labelled it Higher. Then suddenly on day 2 the indicator dropped to Fair?? No ad changes whatsoever.

Anyone guess how it decided to change its rating? Can these be really be manually reviewed??
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Target 300k miles
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Why have 1 when you could have 2!!

Serial Zed tinkerer. Always looking for the next Zed project :D

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue May 25, 2021 10:45 am

Street wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:35 am The site as expected labelled it Higher. Then suddenly on day 2 the indicator dropped to Fair?? No ad changes whatsoever.

Anyone guess how it decided to change its rating? Can these be really be manually reviewed??
As far as I’m aware it sets it’s Low/Fair/High on what other similar models are selling at on its site and adjust the factors of current ads like you mention accordingly.

What I also didn’t realise until recently is that’s why cars now don’t have “sticker prices” and they fluctuate constantly sometimes by small amounts.

Some dealers use a similar system for pricing and it adjust their stock on a daily basis. It also seems to be the explanation as to why prices are odd amounts like £8144 etc as the system is adjusting the prices and does so to an exact amount.

All my understanding and may not be totally accurate :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Tue May 25, 2021 12:24 pm

Used car prices, at least for certain types of vehicles, seem to be gradually increasing. I've watched a couple of saved vehicles on Auto Trader have their prices increased over the last few weeks. It's my understand as well that some dealers use dynamic pricing.
    2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
    2018 F56 Mini JCW
    2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
    Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

TitanTim
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue May 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Re used car prices, they are definitely on the up, mainly down to a surge in demand for used cars as people don't wish to use public transport due to Covid, less likely to buy new etc and some weird story associated with a worldwide shortage in microchips for new cars. There's been a bit of banter on other forums with members getting their motor valued over the past few weeks and seeing values steadily rising, this being an example,

On 13 April I got a quote from WBAC just out of interest.
    16 M235i 25k unmarked.
    They have texted me the following prices :-
    13 April £16790
    16 April £17000
    4 May £17700
    11 May £18565
    20 May £18735

So if you're thinking of selling looks like the time is right :)

Tim.