Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What would you do?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

What would you do?

Post by firebobby » Mon May 24, 2021 6:49 am

ph001 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:58 am Most of them are clueless and go in way too quickly. You really don’t want that bow wave at the front rising up above air intake level. I suspect the cars that conked out probably have hydrolock which basically means a written off engine.
Agree, and if some are doing it for the crowd, their showboating antics, literally end dead in the water.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

What would you do?

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 24, 2021 9:15 am

This is what I don't get with people, some of the cars on other videos look to be virtually brand new and have conked out in the Ford so why would you even consider driving through basically a river. Surely if you need a new engine your insurance wouldn't cover it :roll: mad.

It must be a pain for the owners of the house next to it especially if own a Caterham and need to turn right :)

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

What would you do?

Post by buzyg » Mon May 24, 2021 9:53 am

Salt or fresh water?

Assuming fresh, I would drive through it in my daily. :thumbsup:

Not sure in the Zed I have certainly turned around in the past at such damp patches of road. So probably turn around. :)

I got a Vauxhall Cavalier floating, for a short distance, many years back. I also got it up on two wheels going around a corner the same day. That got the heart rate up. It was a hire car though, so impossible to damage. :D

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

What would you do?

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 24, 2021 10:20 am

buzyg wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:53 am Salt or fresh water?

Not sure in the Zed I have certainly turned around in the past at such damp patches of road. So probably turn around. :)

I got a Vauxhall Cavalier floating, for a short distance, many years back. I also got it up on two wheels going around a corner the same day. That got the heart rate up. It was a hire car though, so impossible to damage. :D
Would fresh or salt water make any difference, if sucked into the engine it would knacker it regardless if enough is sucked in to hydrolock it :cry:

I think a small amount of water might not do any harm, better if it's fresh though :)

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

What would you do?

Post by buzyg » Mon May 24, 2021 11:13 am

TitanTim wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:20 am

Would fresh or salt water make any difference, if sucked into the engine it would knacker it regardless if enough is sucked in to hydrolock it :cry:

I think a small amount of water might not do any harm, better if it's fresh though :)

Tim.
That doesn't look deep enough to worry the engine at a bimble through. It was corrosion that the question referred to. Even a inch deep salt water ford, would be as bad as driving on a salted road. Something to be avoided, at all times if possible, in my ///MR. :wink:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

What would you do?

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 24, 2021 11:48 am

buzyg wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:13 am
TitanTim wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:20 am

Tim.
That doesn't look deep enough to worry the engine at a bimble through. It was corrosion that the question referred to. Even a inch deep salt water ford, would be as bad as driving on a salted road. Something to be avoided, at all times if possible, in my ///MR. :wink:
Probably wouldn't apply in this case but if I can't see the road if it's a bit too deep I would be worried of any uprooted drain covers :o but yes anything salty is bad news.

Tim.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

What would you do?

Post by dr_john » Mon May 24, 2021 2:43 pm

Plenty of flooding around this neck of the woods, I always find an alternative route.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Flyingfifer

What would you do?

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon May 24, 2021 4:23 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:29 pm

(don't remember the videos being this dark for some reason)
Proper lol'd at the 2nd video :rofl: :rofl:

No way Id drive my car through that bit unless it was just some shitbox that I didnt care about but even then, its just risk for the sake of risk imo
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

What would you do?

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:23 pm

No way Id drive my car through that bit unless it was just some shitbox that I didnt care about but even then, its just risk for the sake of risk imo
One of the few situations that your tin top has an advantage :poke:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Flyingfifer

What would you do?

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon May 24, 2021 5:08 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 pm
    Flyingfifer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:23 pm

One of the many situations that your superior tin top has a vast advantage :poke:
    I fixed it for you :P

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

What would you do?

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon May 24, 2021 5:12 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:08 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 pm
    Flyingfifer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:23 pm Proper lol'd at the 2nd video :rofl: :rofl:

One of the many situations that your superior tin top has a vast advantage :poke:
    :lol: Back to the original question, I’d wait for the ferry :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

ronk
      Lifer
      Lifer

What would you do?

Post by ronk » Mon May 24, 2021 5:18 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:12 pm
      Flyingfifer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:08 pm
      Argyll Andy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 pm One of the many situations that your superior tin top has a vast advantage :poke:
      :lol: Back to the original question, I’d wait for the ferry :lol:
      Whatever floats ya boat! :rofl:
      You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
      So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Flyingfifer

What would you do?

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon May 24, 2021 5:27 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:12 pm :lol: Back to the original question, I’d wait for the ferry :lol:
      Me too unless Pbondar arranged it :poke: :rofl:

Pbondar

What would you do?

Post by Pbondar » Mon May 24, 2021 6:12 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:27 pm
      Argyll Andy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:12 pm :lol: Back to the original question, I’d wait for the ferry :lol:
      Please…maybe Andy has ordered the 20mbit Ka Band satellite downlink for his G29 so he can run a fast moving wi-fi hub so we can see that the ferry has sailed! :tumbleweed: :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

What would you do?

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon May 24, 2021 7:14 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:12 pm
      Flyingfifer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:27 pm
      Please…maybe Andy has ordered the 20mbit Ka Band satellite downlink for his G29 so he can run a fast moving wi-fi hub so we can see that the ferry has sailed! :tumbleweed: :thumbsup:
      If in English that means the Wi-fi hun thing, yes I’ve ordered that which hopefully consequently means no more ferry mishaps :wink:

But, we’ll still send Flyingfifer, to it and see if we can lose him :poke: