Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Garden furniture delivery mistake

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Fri May 07, 2021 4:59 pm

I ordered some garden furniture from an online reseller a few weeks back and it arrived on Wednesday as expected.

The delivery driver unloaded everything down the side of the house and went on his way. (I didn’t sign anything).

When I went to check I noticed there seemed to be quite a few boxes, a lot more that I was expecting but it was a 9 piece table set so maybe some of it was already assembled.

When I checked all the boxes I noticed that along with my 9 piece table set the courier had also dropped off an 11 piece table set addressed to a different customer. By the time I had realised the courier had gone so I phoned their head office to highlight the mistake. I was told I’d get a call back but never did.

I have made multiple calls to the online reseller and courier company (wed, thur and today) to find out when they are going to collect it but all I get told is someone will call me back and they never do.

Now these boxes are taking up my hallway as I didn’t want to leave them outside (cushions would be ruined) so are getting in the way.

Where do I stand legally if I phone the online reseller and tell them I’m leaving the boxes on my drive and they can pick them up whenever they want? Surely I won’t be responsible if they are damaged or stolen?

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri May 07, 2021 5:06 pm

Can't see how you possibly could be.. If it were me and I was being ignored like that I'd have them flogged on ebay by now.. Seems they aren't really bothered about the stock, if they then turn up it would be.. Yep I left them outside for you to pick up, assumed you had them as they were gone when I got home from work, there's only so long you can take the piss with people and they seem to have overstepped it already
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri May 07, 2021 5:13 pm

You could always say that was where the delivery driver left them and they dont belong to you so why should you look after them.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri May 07, 2021 5:23 pm

You would be wise to put something in writing. Maybe if you could find an e-mail address. Then you have some evidence showing what you have done. I would be inclined to try that and then send a couple of reminders. If it is still not collected after a reasonable time I think you might be able to keep it. Give the local Citizen’s Advice Bureau a ring see what they advise. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri May 07, 2021 5:37 pm

I think I would give them a few calls and see what they say - wait a reasonable time as I am certain someone is chasing their furniture and they will be trying to put 2 + 2 together as where it could have gone.

Start charging for storage as well if they collect ever collect them :D
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Fri May 07, 2021 6:24 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I’ve made 5 phone calls relating to this - 2 to the couriers and 3 to the online shop and each time told that someone would call me back.

I’m not phoning again.

The customers name and post code is on the boxes but no address so I can’t locate them but yeah you’d have thought he will be wondering where his thousand pound furniture set is.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat May 08, 2021 2:39 pm

I would email the supplier (not phone as you then have a paper trail) explaining the situation again, giving the date you received the extra items. Give them reasonable notice, say 10 days, to collect them or you will dispose of them in any manner you deem fit.

After 10 days if they haven't responded or coillected, email again and state that the goods have been disposed of then sell them on ebay and keep the money. You are entitled to dispose of them as you have given reasonable notice and have evidence to prove in the emails.

The extra items will probably have been claimed under the couriers' insurance by the seller by now.

I had a similar situation once with a scaffold tower which was on hire and the hirer didn't turn up to collect despite multiple requests. I emailed them and stated the above. They didn't collect it, so I inherited a £3,000 scaffold tower which was very useful. Never had any comeback whatsoever.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!