Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Are Mercedes the new 3rd lane warriors?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed May 05, 2021 6:52 pm

As I've had to do a number of long essential journeys over the last few weeks, I've spent quite a bit of time going up n down the A1(M)..

Set at my steady cruise speed I noted that the majority of vehicles going past me were Mercs of one form or another,mostly new or newish..

Seems that the 'loads of money' BMW 3rd laners were replaced by the Audi "Vorsprung durch Technik" hard chargers and now the Mercs.

Whatever happned to the mature gentlemen in fur coats and trilbys?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed May 05, 2021 7:03 pm

I blame F1.
Further study will probably show that one Merc will come flashing by and disappear into the distance, but it'll be some time before the second appears in your mirrors and he'll hang about behind you for about half an hour before finally giving up and dropping back. :roll:
Last edited by enuff_zed on Thu May 06, 2021 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Wed May 05, 2021 8:43 pm

I’ll have you know that Mercedes drivers tend to be courteous and we know where our indicators our too :poke:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed May 05, 2021 9:03 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:52 pm Seems that the 'loads of money' BMW 3rd laners were replaced by the Audi "Vorsprung durch Technik" hard chargers and now the Mercs.

Whatever happned to the mature gentlemen in fur coats and trilbys?
Surely they are all driving Jags? :lol:

I'm still finding Audis are more of a problem than Mercs, although lardy 4x4s still seem desperate to get a close look at my car's rear end - until there is a corner! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:52 pm Whatever happned to the mature gentlemen in fur coats and trilbys?
They all died of old age and replaced by the "I can get a Merc on my pay grade" company car brigade. MB have dumbed down to the masses more than any other manufacturer in the last 15 years IMO. Even I have had one :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed May 05, 2021 9:06 pm

Maybe a phenomenon in the UK but not so in Germany.
I regularly commuted to Hamburg from Utrecht and back once a week and it seemed like the 200km/h weapon of choice was quite definitely the Audi A3 and A4, followed by a smattering of Mercs and BMW's, then Skodas and Volkswagens and the occasional Porsche.
The Bremen-Hamburg stretch was my favourite where I used to love blasting along in my loner Skoda Superb at 170kmh and this is where I saw a couple of Gumpert apollos and numerous Lamborghinis.
I took the zed a few times during the summer months if my trip fell on a weekend and regulaly saw 150mph. I lost many many many caps in the process.
Seems like a lifetime ago now.
:lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed May 05, 2021 9:34 pm

Maybe if you are looking to justify your supposition...

In Thirsk tonight popped down to the chippy as the Premier Inn has no catering...

So on one side of the road no parking restrictions...lots of space..a Volvo XC70, a nice new Audi TT and a BMW 434D x drive

On the other side an 18 reg on double yellow lines...Merc 220 estate ..engine running, unattended with man waiting for his chippy order..12 ish year old son in passenger seat in football gear..

Man comes out with chippy, proceeds to eat said fish n chips in car..engine running parked on yellow lines causing repeated traffic issues..

Man then drives off looking at me and the other guy looking at him with what appears to be a belligerent stare at the two of us...

I of course realise that there are many perfectly courteous and considerate Merc drivers.....

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed May 05, 2021 9:37 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:34 pm I of course realise that there are many perfectly courteous and considerate Merc drivers.....
Well there certainly used to be, but I haven't had one since 2003. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed May 05, 2021 9:45 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:37 pm
Pbondar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:34 pm I of course realise that there are many perfectly courteous and considerate Merc drivers.....
Well there certainly used to be, but I haven't had one since 2003. :lol:
Ditto sold my one and only Merc in 2003..didn’t have a fur coat and trilby..then.. :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 05, 2021 10:38 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:34 pm Maybe if you are looking to justify your supposition...

In Thirsk tonight popped down to the chippy as the Premier Inn has no catering...

So on one side of the road no parking restrictions...lots of space..a Volvo XC70, a nice new Audi TT and a BMW 434D x drive

On the other side an 18 reg on double yellow lines...Merc 220 estate ..engine running, unattended with man waiting for his chippy order..12 ish year old son in passenger seat in football gear..

Man comes out with chippy, proceeds to eat said fish n chips in car..engine running parked on yellow lines causing repeated traffic issues..

Man then drives off looking at me and the other guy looking at him with what appears to be a belligerent stare at the two of us...

I of course realise that there are many perfectly courteous and considerate Merc drivers..
There will be a thread on a Mercedes owner's forum somewhere saying exactly the same thing but swapping Mercedes for BMW. BM drivers have not exactly been the average motorist's friends over the last 30 years now have they? :D

If I wanted to be popular on the road, I'd buy a Chinese MG or a Dacia :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed May 05, 2021 10:49 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:45 pm If I wanted to be popular on the road, I'd buy a Chinese MG or a Dacia
You buying another bloody car? :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 05, 2021 10:57 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:49 pm You buying another bloody car?
    :D
    I test drove a Chinese MG a couple of years back (it was the one that was sort of a SUV, think it was the Ho Lee Fuk). The only new car I have ever driven that I was afraid would break down on me on the test drive. It was truly awful.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Thu May 06, 2021 9:28 am

To be fair, its not mercs fault, taxi drivers are always keen to hurry onto their destination :roll:
    2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Thu May 06, 2021 12:14 pm

When I am out in my "taxi" on the motorway I find that it's normally 5pot farting Audi's that are always catching up holding speed and then zooming off when they realise I am not going to race.

If it's not them, it's usually trade people going past at 90-100

It's the Karen's that are sat in the middle lane at 65-70 that are the frustrating ones. I never want to pull out to the third lane to overtake to go back to the 1st again.

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Thu May 06, 2021 12:30 pm

mgrlane wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:14 pm When I am out in my "taxi" on the motorway
    Private hire or can folk just flag you down? :poke: :P
    2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings