Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CCTV Costs?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

CCTV Costs?

Post by TitanTim » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:58 pm

What's the difference to you looking out your window watching your neighbours and having a camera doing the same thing? So long as any film footage is secure and is usually filmed on loop and only stored for a short period of time I don't see any issues. There must be millions of people with dash cams and home security cameras filming other people outside their property boundary , their street, other houses etc. Video door bells a prime example.

Are you sure you're TV isn't watching you 😉

Tim.

Timmyboybunter

CCTV Costs?

Post by Timmyboybunter » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:12 pm

Yup I get you - the answer is that cameras are covered by GDPR, you looking out your window isn't.

Thought this might be a bit of a contentious point and I'm now derailing the thread away from a 'cost' discussion so apologies to the OP - but yes, all dash cams, doorbell/RING cams, CCTV cameras which film in 'public' places (i.e. outside your boundary), basically anything similar - all fall under GDPR law.

Unenforcable given the scale - yes. Likely to get caught/prosecuted - almost certainly not (I found 1 such example which included fairly deliberate use of recording devices to snoop on conversation which DID prosecute).

Make a lot of sense - not to my mind no, but I see what powers GDPR does provide if someone is on the genuine receiving end of a completely unwarranted breach.

Not preaching here at all :thumbsup: but as I said, just something to be aware of!
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

CCTV Costs?

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:16 pm

Yeah, privacy laws can be good and useful, but from time to time they go bonkers… I dream if the days of the Internet before I had to click through blimmen banners asking for cookie consent! I swear Over 50% of my internet clicks are to get rid of annoying cookie popups!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

ihadablackdog

CCTV Costs?

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:05 pm

Timmyboybunter wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:12 pm Thought this might be a bit of a contentious point and I'm now derailing the thread away from a 'cost' discussion so apologies to the OP
No need to apologise....when has a thread on an Internet forum not gone off course 😂😂

It’s all still interesting stuff that will be useful to know.

I’ve booked the alarm company to come and advise but not until beginning of June unfortunately. Thinking it might be worth getting a few to come out, not only to compare prices but also to compare different opinions and advice.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

CCTV Costs?

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat May 01, 2021 5:10 pm

There’s a guy up the road from me that installs aerials, or so I thought, so didn’t take much notice of his van.

Looked in the local paper and he is listed as doing CCTV installs, network installs and obviously tv cables etc.

Bit rude to go knock on his door on a bank holiday weekend so emailed instead....but put in the email I live down the road from him - hoping he’ll see that and come down 😂😂😂

He does Hikvision kit so in my email I said what I “think” I want and asked for his advice with a view to supply and fit.

Website says he works around peoples schedules so asked if he might be able to visit after 6pm one evening, hoping he might be able to come down next week...better than waiting till June.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

CCTV Costs?

Post by Nictrix » Sat May 01, 2021 5:36 pm

We have Hikvision cameras in the school and the quality is great.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

CCTV Costs?

Post by sp3ctre » Sat May 01, 2021 5:59 pm

I use Dahua but it is pretty much the same as Hikvision. Can’t go wrong provided you select the right location and lenses.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

ihadablackdog

CCTV Costs?

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat May 01, 2021 8:46 pm

Are the cameras that record colour at night any good with no external light?

There is a street lamp right next to our drive...but the council set them to turn off overnight! Not sure of the exact hours but definitely between 0100 and 0600, might be longer.

So I’m wondering how these compare to ir? Probably only talking a distance of 3meters?

Time to check YouTube reviews.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

CCTV Costs?

Post by sp3ctre » Sat May 01, 2021 8:55 pm

Mine works really well but there is a street light. Check out the IPCamTalk forums, lots if good info on there.

ihadablackdog

CCTV Costs?

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat May 01, 2021 8:58 pm

Yeah, been reading those....one guy was showing how he had about 14 cameras, 3 or 4 specifically at his front door in different angles.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

CCTV Costs?

Post by sp3ctre » Sat May 01, 2021 8:59 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:58 pm Yeah, been reading those....one guy was showing how he had about 14 cameras, 3 or 4 specifically at his front door in different angles.
Yeah, beware, it can be addictive!

ihadablackdog

CCTV Costs?

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat May 01, 2021 9:10 pm

One thing I thought of today though....

Is it possible to make your house more tempting by having more security?

I know the idea is to make your property less appealing than another to burgle as if the other house has less security, they are less likely to get caught, but are criminals just as likely to think “what’s he got that he needs all that security for”...

Especially with 2 BMW’s on the drive?

Still want cameras though, because sooner or later some pikey is gonna have a go!
2011 E89 sDrive20i

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

CCTV Costs?

Post by mr.tourette » Sat May 01, 2021 11:32 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:10 pm One thing I thought of today though....

Is it possible to make your house more tempting by having more security?

I know the idea is to make your property less appealing than another to burgle as if the other house has less security, they are less likely to get caught, but are criminals just as likely to think “what’s he got that he needs all that security for”...

Especially with 2 BMW’s on the drive?

Still want cameras though, because sooner or later some pikey is gonna have a go!
I dont think so, most of these lowlifes are looking for the easiest option, a set of cameras and an alarm box on the house is enough to make most look for easier pickings as there are plenty of them about
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

exdos

CCTV Costs?

Post by exdos » Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 pm

I installed a Hikvision wired system with a 3TB NVR 2.5 years ago and it has been excellent and a very useful purchase. I got the system from CCTV of Bidford-on-Avon and the company was most helpful in advice before sale and in its after sales support. I have no connection with the company other than as a customer. The recordings are of very useful quality and not just 4 pixels for a face. I can watch the live views from my PC, phone or tablet from any part of the world (tested!) and it gives great peace of mind when away from home.

It was a fun project to install and I would advise giving considerable forethought to the location and magnification of each camera and err on the side of more, than the least number of cameras, so that you have at least 2 cameras recording an approach and presence of anyone on your property.

ihadablackdog

CCTV Costs?

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun May 02, 2021 9:22 pm

exdos wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 pm I installed a Hikvision wired system with a 3TB NVR 2.5 years ago and it has been excellent and a very useful purchase. I got the system from CCTV of Bidford-on-Avon and the company was most helpful in advice before sale and in its after sales support. I have no connection with the company other than as a customer. The recordings are of very useful quality and not just 4 pixels for a face. I can watch the live views from my PC, phone or tablet from any part of the world (tested!) and it gives great peace of mind when away from home.

It was a fun project to install and I would advise giving considerable forethought to the location and magnification of each camera and err on the side of more, than the least number of cameras, so that you have at least 2 cameras recording an approach and presence of anyone on your property.
Sounds like a good result.

Agree about not skimping on the number of cameras, it might be that we get a system and then perhaps add to it later, depending on cost. Would rather have quality equipment covering the main areas and add cameras later on for the additional coverage, than buy a cheap system with more cameras.

Seriously looking at the colorvu cameras....checked outside when I went for a pee this morning at 4am....street light off but it was already getting light. Deb said she looked earlier and it was dark but several other houses had outside lights on giving illumination. Our front door light is always on so that would be ok and with ambient light at the front I think they might be feasible. I know they have their own built in lights if needed.

The turret camera is 4mp not 8mp but I think at the distances I am covering then that shouldn’t be an issue (ie zoom).
2011 E89 sDrive20i