Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

car SOS

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
gov

car SOS

Post by gov » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:50 am

great episode this week on More 4 - 74 year old suffering from Parkinsons duped by cowboy car restorers who conned him out of £25k supposedly restoring his 1961 Austin Healey 3000 :x Tim and Fuzz stepped in to rebuild it - heart rendering to see but as always with a happy ending at the reveal :D as for the car - what a beautiful machine :D :D :D well worth a watch on catch up

blunderthumbs

car SOS

Post by blunderthumbs » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:20 pm

Hope the guys (Cowboys) :x who ripped him off to the tune of 25k were watching. I'd be going back to them for some compensation after watching that. :headbang:
2004 Black Sapphire 3.0L SE. Red leather. Back box delete. Clutch valve delete. Roof motor relocated. 18" M star spoke style 193. Machine Monkey exhaust tips. Gap Tec. ZHP Gear knob. Clear side repeaters. Zun Sport lower grille.

Chippie

car SOS

Post by Chippie » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:52 pm

I really felt sorry for the old guy, complete cowboys who did half a restoration that had to be redone by the car SOS team, a shame he couldn’t manage to drive it but at least he still had some fire in his belly asking Fuzz to redline it :D
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

car SOS

Post by firebobby » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:32 pm

Great program, Fuzz really knows his stuff. I find Tim a bit hard to stomach sometimes though.
Be nice if the cowboys could be named and shamed
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

car SOS

Post by DPG » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:54 pm

I love SoS. Is this episode available online/catch-up?

pvr
Legend
Legend

car SOS

Post by pvr » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:16 pm

It was a good one. Cannot believe he had been charged that for it, horrible. Should not be that challenging to find who the cowboys were as there aren't many restorers for that type of car.

Amazing knowledge by Fuzz and explains it all well.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

car SOS

Post by TitanTim » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:46 pm

Watched it last night and was pretty moving and for the poor chaps daughter.

I imagine if he had finished the car himself it would have failed it's MOT otherwise a death trap :cry:

Great episode.

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

car SOS

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:13 pm

firebobby wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:32 pm Great program, Fuzz really knows his stuff. I find Tim a bit hard to stomach sometimes though.
Yes, I always enjoy watching Car SOS, but like you tI find Tm's antics a bit cringeworthy sometimes!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

car SOS

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:51 pm

I do like Car Sausage but as others have said I don't like the "see how Tim can get a bargain/ stuff for free" c*ap.
I wonder what sort of contract/ conditions the participants have to sign with the production company before they start with a resto?
The one that started me thinking about this was the AC Aceca they did a while ago. It was a pile of rust in the old boy's garage. An hour (of TV magic) later it was potentially a £100k, ultra-rare restored car. What's to stop him (or more likely his family) selling it off to the highest bidder a week later?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

AnilS

car SOS

Post by AnilS » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:46 pm

Show is good but spoilt by Tim.

I've met Fuzz. True gent.
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

Zed Baron

car SOS

Post by Zed Baron » Fri May 14, 2021 1:44 am

You should do some reading up on Tim, he's a decent chap. How much in TV air time (and direct to the right target audience) is the programme worth to these small bespoke companies that they really advertise, without Car SOS they probably would remain in obscurity. The programme has a clever format and its nice to see some deserving people get something and I've read that some of the cars have even gone to auction for charity once the owners have died. Well done Fuzz and Tim, great TV!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

car SOS

Post by buzyg » Fri May 14, 2021 10:46 am

Pondrew wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:51 pm I do like Car Sausage but as others have said I don't like the "see how Tim can get a bargain/ stuff for free" c*ap.
I wonder what sort of contract/ conditions the participants have to sign with the production company before they start with a resto?
The one that started me thinking about this was the AC Aceca they did a while ago. It was a pile of rust in the old boy's garage. An hour (of TV magic) later it was potentially a £100k, ultra-rare restored car. What's to stop him (or more likely his family) selling it off to the highest bidder a week later?
They have certainly done a few prenups. But that is not what the show is about. It would ruin the credibility of the whole format, if people started selling on the more expensive restorations after the show. They make it clear in some of the episodes, that an agreement is in place, so I'm sure there is something for most, if not all. But at the end of the day I see nothing wrong with the deserving people chosen passing on, what is a gift from the show, to their loved ones or best mate. The point of the show is they deserve the gift in the first place. Mike Brewer does a similar type of thing with his trading up format. No problem with it. It's good TV and deserving people benefit from it, along with all the small companies that get their skills/products endorsed.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

car SOS

Post by firebobby » Fri May 14, 2021 5:55 pm

I met Fuzz a few years ago at a car meet, he's a really nice bloke and I had a good chat with him.
I asked him if the show would be interested in doing up my GT6, and mentioned that I had a splinter in my hand (sob story) but he just laughed.
He's been into the classic car scene for many years.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Ming

car SOS

Post by Ming » Fri May 14, 2021 5:59 pm

He was also the drummer with The Beat in the 80's. Very diverse range of talents
I do like to go topless......
....... in my remapped 20i in Valencia Orange with Black Roof :driving:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

car SOS

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri May 14, 2021 8:52 pm

Did anyone watch it this week with the Lancia Fulvia?

It looks like the owner got bolted up with a shiny bodge-job when he bought it in 1983, so it was great to see it restored properly!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black