Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Forum cars being better than non forum cars

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:14 pm

I keep reading suggestions on here that buyers should seek out forum cars as they will be better looked after.
Does everybody think that this is always the case?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:19 pm

Not necessarily, but in the majority of cases I would expect so.
People who join the forum tend to be more enthusiasts who want to know all there is to know about their cars.
There may well be a searchable history of everything they have done while on the forum.
A lot of the work done will have been carefully researched on the forum and advice taken about the best parts to use etc. Hopefully that means less corners cut.
Forum members seem to want their cars to move on to a good home, not just make a fast buck.
I would like to think also that the majority would be honest and not knowingly con any other forum member.

However, there will always be exceptions...............
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:43 pm

I’d say in the majority of, but not all, cases yes. Forum members seem to look after their cars better and pamper them more.

The big bonus I found was being able to look through the car’s ownership in detail and see what work had been done, general treatment and use of the car and if it’d had any issues that they’d been addressed and fixed properly. It didn’t bother me it having issues, all cars have them, it’s how it was resolved that mattered.

Ones that don’t appear to have been so lovingly looked after are commented on when they appear. This was evident a couple of times recently with a forum car that was not very well presented and the feedback was the representation of the car indicated it didn’t appear to be a cherished example. Equally non forum cars get the same comments, like my comment about the £27.5k 35iS at Sytner that looks like it’s been recovered from a sandstorm. It’s very unlikely a forum member would either let their P&J get into that state, nor present it to a targeted audience who’re not shy in voicing their opinion (I most definitely am including myself in there :oops: )

You will also get the run of the mill enthusiasts car, well looked after, well maintained, not rag @rsed abused but can be slightly improved forum cars which is where I think a larger majority of our cars fall if we’re completely honest with ourselves :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:28 pm

Where I stand is that a car that has been on the forum for a few years, no matter how many owners, could be a good car as a lot of its history could be traced.
    However just because a car is being sold on the forum by a forum member doesnt mean the cars history has been here for long. Like someone could have been a member for 10 years but is selling a car they have had for 6 months. This is not a forum car and shouldnt be recommended as such.

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:32 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:28 pm Where I stand is that a car that has been on the forum for a few years, no matter how many owners, could be a good car as a lot of its history could be traced.
    However just because a car is being sold on the forum by a forum member doesnt mean the cars history has been here for long. Like someone could have been a member for 10 years but is selling a car they have had for 6 months. This is not a forum car and shouldnt be recommended as such.
    I'd acknowledge that theory, however I would add that to some degree you are buying from a known forum member and that in itself carries some weight.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:32 pm
    Nictrix wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:28 pm Where I stand is that a car that has been on the forum for a few years, no matter how many owners, could be a good car as a lot of its history could be traced.
    I'd acknowledge that theory, however I would add that to some degree you are buying from a known forum member and that in itself carries some weight.
    It does a little to certain people. Long term members can disappear overnight, there have been cases of members selling stuff that has caused problems, just because someone is a member doesnt mean they cant rip anybody off. Also someone new doesnt know anybody on a forum, just faceless names on the screen so have no real knowledge if someone is trustworthy or not.
    Like yourself, you have been here for a few years like myself with a few thousand posts. You come across well but realistically I couldnt recommend to anybody that they should buy something from you as I do not actually know you. You could be the biggest crook in Attleborough (wherever that is) for all I know :lol:

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:09 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 pm You could be the biggest crook in Attleborough (wherever that is) for all I know :lol:
    I resent that libellous insinuation! I prefer to think of myself as a criminal mastermind :rofl:

(although those that know me would say it's just a criminal sense of humour :D )

TitanTim
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:22 pm

Someone might join a forum in the hope of selling a dog of a car :o

Tim.
    Last edited by TitanTim on Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:50 pm

I think if it is a known car then yes, it will have been looked after well - most people would not sell with a known fault to people on the forum, chances are they may someone personally from meets and would probably not want their name tarnished.

Someone joining just to sell a car is another kettle of fish, I would not recommend or buy generally - they are nearly always just looking for free advertising to a captive audience (in a way).
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:01 pm

Makes sense that people who chat about their Z4 on here and on other car forums, probably love their car and therefore take care of it better than those that don't bother to whom it;s just another car. But things are never that one sided, so best always buy on condition and be thorough.
    Last edited by buzyg on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mr wilks
    Legend
    Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 pm

Sadly i would have to say the majority of forum cars ive bought were no better than buying elsewhere :( one particularly Z4MR comes to mind :oops: if i had viewed it before agreeing to buy it my parting bid would have been considerably lower than i paid :cry: couldn't fault the history but so very poorly kept & presented to the point i doubt anyone would have bought it from a private viewing .
    The number of Zs ive bought that have never had a clean behind the seats , around the headrests or the windbreaker far outweighs the ones that had been .
    A Z4m & 35is i bought off forum both stand out as being presented how i would myself , 2 Si roadsters also arrived in fair order & couldn't complain .
    2 others were honestly described & priced accordingly so can't fault those which is roughly 50 -50 :?
    3 ZMRs
    3 E89s
    5 Si coupes
    5 Si roadsters
    997 C4
    TTRS
    F82 M4
    MK7 Golf Gti
    current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:40 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 pm The number of Zs ive bought that have never had a clean behind the seats , around the headrests or the windbreaker far outweighs the ones that had been .
    A Z4m & 35is i bought off forum both stand out as being presented how i would myself , 2 Si roadsters also arrived in fair order & couldn't complain .
    2 others were honestly described & priced accordingly so can't fault those which is roughly 50 -50
    That's an interesting insight given how many you have had!

I would have thought a forum member was more likely to be an enthusiast so would have given their cars more TLC.

But it seems maybe not, although I'll admit to never having cleaned behind the seats. Another thing to add to the list!
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

Ming

Post by Ming » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:57 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:40 pm
    mr wilks wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 pm The number of Zs ive bought that have never had a clean behind the seats , around the headrests or the windbreaker far outweighs the ones that had been .
    2 others were honestly described & priced accordingly so can't fault those which is roughly 50 -50

I would have thought a forum member was more likely to be an enthusiast so would have given their cars more TLC.

But it seems maybe not, although I'll admit to never having cleaned behind the seats. Another thing to add to the list!
    Treated the leather on the seats front and back and cleaned the fabric behind the seats plus the windbreaker this very weekend actually. And the filler cap. And the engine bay. Christ, I feel I may need to join Detailers Anonymous 🤔
    I do like to go topless......
    ....... in my remapped 20i in Valencia Orange with Black Roof :driving:

mr wilks
    Legend
    Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:08 pm

Ming wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:57 pm
    Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:40 pm

Treated the leather on the seats front and back and cleaned the fabric behind the seats plus the windbreaker this very weekend actually. And the filler cap. And the engine bay. Christ, I feel I may need to join Detailers Anonymous 🤔
    Don't go beating yourself up :oops: all perfectly "normal" behaviour :D
    3 ZMRs
    3 E89s
    5 Si coupes
    5 Si roadsters
    997 C4
    TTRS
    F82 M4
    MK7 Golf Gti
    current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:27 pm

I think a forum car stands you a better chance of picking up a good'un rather than them all naturally being good because they are forum owned, still got to doa bit of due diligence but chances are you might get a good one, still seen plenty for sale here over the years i wouldn't touch with a sh***y stick tho :D
    Last edited by mr.tourette on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D