Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Forum cars being better than non forum cars

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:27 pm I think a forum cat stands you a better chance of picking up a good'un
So you're saying you wouldn't buy a forum dog. :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:35 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:27 pm I think a forum cat stands you a better chance of picking up a good'un
So you're saying you wouldn't buy a forum dog. :wink:
Haha.. fkin tablet keyboard.. i am a dog lover so i would certainly buy a forum dog.. cats can fcuk off :rofl:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 pm

I think most of the owners on the forum believe they are looking after their cars well,the difference comes when one member can think washing and hoovering is caring for their Zed however never addresses the underneath or engine with the same gusto.others are on the other side and dont take them from the heated garage unless its totally dry and warm and sunny .I think the answer to the question as been mentioned previously,you stand a better chance of getting a good car,but your purchase should be based on same rules as getting it elsewhere,condition and history with no assumptions.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:14 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:32 pm
Nictrix wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:28 pm Where I stand is that a car that has been on the forum for a few years, no matter how many owners, could be a good car as a lot of its history could be traced.
However just because a car is being sold on the forum by a forum member doesnt mean the cars history has been here for long. Like someone could have been a member for 10 years but is selling a car they have had for 6 months. This is not a forum car and shouldnt be recommended as such.
I'd acknowledge that theory, however I would add that to some degree you are buying from a known forum member and that in itself carries some weight.
It does a little to certain people. Long term members can disappear overnight, there have been cases of members selling stuff that has caused problems, just because someone is a member doesnt mean they cant rip anybody off. Also someone new doesnt know anybody on a forum, just faceless names on the screen so have no real knowledge if someone is trustworthy or not.
Like yourself, you have been here for a few years like myself with a few thousand posts. You come across well but realistically I couldnt recommend to anybody that they should buy something from you as I do not actually know you. You could be the biggest crook in Attleborough (wherever that is) for all I know :lol:
Spot on. I'm with you on this. :thumbsup:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 pm

sw4nny wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 pm I think most of the owners on the forum believe they are looking after their cars well,the difference comes when one member can think washing and hoovering is caring for their Zed however never addresses the underneath or engine with the same gusto.others are on the other side and dont take them from the heated garage unless its totally dry and warm and sunny .I think the answer to the question as been mentioned previously,you stand a better chance of getting a good car,but your purchase should be based on same rules as getting it elsewhere,condition and history with no assumptions.
Not sure if you are having a snidey poke with your comments but the "underneath or engine" are actually the parts i consider most when buying any car :wink:
Overspend on maintenance & repairs is what i look for , the cosmetics , cleaning & polishing are easily sorted for relatively little spend .
I also factor into any buy the routine servicing most cars never get , ie my current TTRS , bought with 64k & a Audi dealer stamp every year from new , li've had gearbox, diff oil , brake fluid & coolant changed along with Haldex & engine oil / filter , most of which were not required if I followed Audi service regime spec .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:35 pm

I wouldn’t say forum cars are better or worse than non-forum cars. Some are undoubtedly better, some are not. It is nice to see a bit of history of a car on the forum rather than buying one you know nothing about. I also think it’s less likely that an established forum member will try to disguise any faults or actually defraud you, for risk of being pilloried on here. On the whole (and there are exceptions), established forum members tend to talk down prices and therefore forum cars seem to be a bit cheaper than the market is asking, on average.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:38 pm

Dont know why you thought I was having any sort of poke,
I can assure you it was a general comment to some of the owners over the years of me being on this forum.
You have made contributions other years to the posts I have read and its obvious you have a great knowledge of the Z cars from the different varients you have owned. :thumbsup
All I was saying in short is one mans version of a cherished car is another mans of unloved.
All down to the individual,I think most on this forum would not intentionally try to mislead anyone.
Which Is why the end comment was just go to buy with no assumpions.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Jakg

Post by Jakg » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:07 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 pmThe number of Zs ive bought that have never had a clean behind the seats , around the headrests or the windbreaker far outweighs the ones that had been
sw4nny wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 pm I think most of the owners on the forum believe they are looking after their cars well,the difference comes when one member can think washing and hoovering is caring for their Zed however never addresses the underneath or engine with the same gusto.others are on the other side and dont take them from the heated garage unless its totally dry and warm and sunny
Exactly this - my cars are never spotlessly clean but mechanically are very well maintained... but there are many owners club "build threads" that's a bunch of washing and then maybe a new radio and a set of drilled brake discs.

I think you have to buy on condition.
Being able to track a cars history is great, but it's easy to find something to put you off. Very few cars have had the perfect life!