Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FTTP Broadband

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

FTTP Broadband

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:55 pm

Have any of you guys got Fibre to the premesis (FTTP) broadband? Our roads are just getting dug up by CityFibre and we will be able to get Gigabit (up and down) broadband at some point.

My question (that they seem unable to answer) is how soon after they dig up the roads does it become available? They are doing the whole town, so I am not sure if they have to finish the whole town before switching it on or whether it is incremental.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

FTTP Broadband

Post by Nictrix » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:56 pm

Cant answer your question but they seem to be doing this everywhere.
Cant understand where the money is coming from to do all this all over the country.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Stevo1987

FTTP Broadband

Post by Stevo1987 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:07 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:55 pm Have any of you guys got Fibre to the premesis (FTTP) broadband? Our roads are just getting dug up by CityFibre and we will be able to get Gigabit (up and down) broadband at some point.

My question (that they seem unable to answer) is how soon after they dig up the roads does it become available? They are doing the whole town, so I am not sure if they have to finish the whole town before switching it on or whether it is incremental.
They were laying cable in September and BT were saying it was available before Christmas, I think. Blimmin' expensive though so I don't think I will bother. Only available through BT at the moment. £59.99 a month 24 month contract
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

ihadablackdog

FTTP Broadband

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:33 pm

We’ve got a private company called Jurassic Fibre laying fibre in our town. They haven’t dug any road up, they are just using the existing cable routes.

The man hole is on our drive so they have had the cover off a few times and I saw the new “patch” bit where they spur off to your home.

If we got it, I think they would blow fibre along the existing phone cable into our house.

First 3 months for free with 30 day notice period but were with BT for another year or so, so won’t be joining just yet, and 35Mb is same price as our fttc, and I don’t need faster so no point.

If they are investing, I guess they will have exclusive sell rights for a period of time, but they must (I assume) be coming off the BT green cab?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Vonlipvig

FTTP Broadband

Post by Vonlipvig » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:07 am

Other communication providers, like city fibre and Jurassic, can rent out space on existing duct owned by openreach (bt). They can then either sell this access straight end of line customers or still it on like openreach do to another supplier that doesn't own the infrastructure.

On how long before it's available, digging up the road and putting it in is one thing. It still needs to be fully connected at the exchange before the service is fully live
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Pbondar

FTTP Broadband

Post by Pbondar » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:46 pm

I asked here on a remote EO line exchange ...they are quoting work on the exchange starting December 2011 and expected connection here (with about 300 lines on the exchange) ‘some time in 2023

Clearly stringing lots of fibre up from the poles and then putting new sub exchange boxes near clusters of houses is slowing that down.

I suspect in a city it may go a lot quicker for volume and ducting reasons.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

FTTP Broadband

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:51 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:46 pm I asked here on a remote EO line exchange ...they are quoting work on the exchange starting December 2011 and expected connection here (with about 300 lines on the exchange) ‘some time in 2023

Clearly stringing lots of fibre up from the poles and then putting new sub exchange boxes near clusters of houses is slowing that down.

12 years.... wow!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Pbondar

FTTP Broadband

Post by Pbondar » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:18 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:51 pm
Pbondar wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:46 pm I asked here on a remote EO line exchange ...they are quoting work on the exchange starting December 2011 and expected connection here (with about 300 lines on the exchange) ‘some time in 2023

12 years.... wow!
er errata oops that should have been 2021 and 2023!!!!

exdos

FTTP Broadband

Post by exdos » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:52 pm

About 2 years ago BT installed a fibreoptic cable from the local telephone exchange to a telephone cabinet about 150yards from my house and from that cabinet runs an above ground telephone line to my home. I regularly check the speed using speediest.net and just now it is as per the screenshot.

In "real world" use the best download speed I get on files is around 8Mbps and the overall determining factor of getting that is on the server providing that file. The capability of your broadband connection doesn't appear to be the "be all and end all" of how the internet performs at your home.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-03-20 at 18.43.59.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-20 at 18.43.59.jpg (25.78 KiB) Viewed 670 times

Pbondar

FTTP Broadband

Post by Pbondar » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:28 pm

exdos wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:52 pm About 2 years ago BT installed a fibreoptic cable from the local telephone exchange to a telephone cabinet about 150yards from my house and from that cabinet runs an above ground telephone line to my home. I regularly check the speed using speediest.net and just now it is as per the screenshot.

In "real world" use the best download speed I get on files is around 8Mbps and the overall determining factor of getting that is on the server providing that file. The capability of your broadband connection doesn't appear to be the "be all and end all" of how the internet performs at your home.
I think you have FTTC as opposed to the OP's request for FTTP?

Locally on another exchange they just have had FTTP installed..on the economy tariff (BT) they are getting 120mbs up and down measured on Ookla!

Often with FTTC you get cross talk and congestion and speeds can plumet..distance from your house to the cabinet is a majpr factor too..anything over about 400-500 yds and it sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwsssssss up a lot..there is a graph somerwhere that shows the exponential fall off in speed on FTTC with distance.. :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

FTTP Broadband

Post by ronk » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:49 pm

Ive got FTTC but its a 1.3km (Engineers Phone app) run to my house - The best I've had is 20Mbps but normally I only get 15/16 :thumbsdown:
I can just about manage when its stable - but its not always. The ISP says choose a Channel then change their minds to go Auto channel.
Seems I can't win.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Raj_UK

FTTP Broadband

Post by Raj_UK » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:48 am

The cable in our street was laid by City Fiber last November and we’ve just started getting leaflets from different providers that FTTP is now available. Openreach were out yesterday checking the run between the street and the house is clear to run a cable if required. So in our case under 6 months.
Z4less :?