Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rip Off card charges

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Rip Off card charges

Post by Pondrew » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:12 pm

dr_john wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:40 pm I've never used credit in my life, I was brought up to only buy what I could pay for
Never had a mortgage?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

TheGingerOneNI

Rip Off card charges

Post by TheGingerOneNI » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:13 pm

dr_john wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:40 pm I've never used credit in my life, I was brought up to only buy what I could pay for.

Hence a debit card is all I use, simple.
I can see the merit in this but at the same time with a little bit of discipline you can use a high reward credit card and never actually be in debt. It's effectively a bonus for you by paying for stuff you were already going to buy anyway.

As said I use the British Airways Amex for everything and clear it immediately. Just doing my normal spending on it has got me 2x 2 for 1 flight vouchers on any BA booking plus the accumulation of Avios points. Our plan is to book a trip to Japan so I will pay for my return flights, the missus will go for free and then use the Avios to upgrade my cabin class.

There are loads of other offers that become available too. During the eat out to help out scheme there was an offer or £5 back when you spent £20 and participating retailers. Loads of restaurants were included so you could spend £40, get £20 off from the government scheme and then just by using your Amex to pay you got another £5 off.

I know the BA version may not appeal to everyone but they have other types with different reward options.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Rip Off card charges

Post by dr_john » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:52 am

Well, yes, I meant apart from a mortgage! We all have those but thankfully not any more :D
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Rip Off card charges

Post by firebobby » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:29 am

We have a Tesco card and use it for most things. We get club card points on each transaction which we use for free hotel breaks.. when we can again.
It's always paid off each month, so don't get hit by the charges.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Rip Off card charges

Post by buzyg » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:48 am

The modern banking system is there to make money for it"s share holders. But as Mr Tidy demonstrates if your shrewed and read the small print you can do fine out of it. If you borrow on most credit cards for a month, then pay in full. Then you get both a moths free lone and protection from many potential pit falls, such as firms going bust. Many don't and some can"t pay in full. Which means profit for the banks, but also allows the rest interest free loans and protection from fraud.

I still love cash though. :thumbsup: