Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finance

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Finance

Post by ronk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:04 am

I bought some HiFi kit on an interest free 18month deal, It was a deal too good to miss and just left the cash in the piggy bank - every payment made on time etc, but at the end of the term not a word, zippo!

Don’t they send a “Thank you for your business and prompt Payments “ these days?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Finance

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:36 am

ronk wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:04 am I bought some HiFi kit on an interest free 18month deal, It was a deal too good to miss and just left the cash in the piggy bank - every payment made on time etc, but at the end of the term not a word, zippo!

Don’t they send a “Thank you for your business and prompt Payments “ these days?
You don’t hear from anyone now Ron unless there’s a problem. You’ll definitely not get a thanks in my experience

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Finance

Post by ronk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:40 am

It was the same with BMW finance - a few years ago.
    Perhaps I’m expecting too much in this day and age. I should have missed a payment or two to keep them on their toes :rofl:

BeeEmm

Finance

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:43 am

It is all computer controlled these days Ron. As Andy says you will only hear if there is a problem and that would generate a human interest. They will try to help people with problems if that happens. I accepted the non human element years ago and if a computer slung out a thank you note, I would not feel better. Having said that finance companies are interested in your business and most, if not all have a web site where you can track progress on your loan and payments. More and more people buy their equipment and arrange finance online today.
    I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

mmm-five
    Lifer
    Lifer

Finance

Post by mmm-five » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:11 am

I always get a letter/email a couple of weeks later to say the credit is paid off.

Even if the finance was only in place for a week to get a deal on a car :P
    Trigger’s Z4MC
    Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
    Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Flyingfifer

Finance

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:14 am

You aren't a "Customer" Ron, you're a "Consumer" I think that the transition from one to the other has resulted in an over all worsening of services /business and is very much a window on modern society, you don't matter there are 64million other pay pigs that could take your place. :thumbsdown:

Its properly put me off big business as a whole I would rather go to a smaller indy business and pay a wee bit more but actually be valued plus I help out an actual human rather than some gargantuan nebulous money consuming maw :thumbsup:
    2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Finance

Post by ronk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:04 pm

I think the Consumer v Customer sums it up nicely!

I‘m probably classified a good risk but a very bad credit customer as my card bill is paid off every month and I will only go for 0% deals

Flyingfifer

Finance

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:12 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:04 pm I think the Consumer v Customer sums it up nicely!

I‘m probably classified a good risk but a very bad credit customer as my card bill is paid off every month and I will only go for 0% deals
    I remember when I was in school we had a talk from a Royal Bank of Scotland rep, they said that they look for people who might have issues making payments for things like credit cards and loans because they will take longer to make payments and clear the debt making the bank more money. I put my hand up and asked her if she was saying that if someone was being being fiscally responsible and being able to manage their debt correctly that the RBS would be less inclined to offer loans and debt to someone who struggled financially and stretched from month to month and she said yes.

The most hard hitting stark mask slip I have ever experienced.
    2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

Finance

Post by Nictrix » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:32 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:12 pm
    ronk wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:04 pm I think the Consumer v Customer sums it up nicely!

I remember when I was in school we had a talk from a Royal Bank of Scotland rep, they said that they look for people who might have issues making payments for things like credit cards and loans because they will take longer to make payments and clear the debt making the bank more money. I put my hand up and asked her if she was saying that if someone was being being fiscally responsible and being able to manage their debt correctly that the RBS would be less inclined to offer loans and debt to someone who struggled financially and stretched from month to month and she said yes.

This exact thing is whats wrong with loans.
    I needed a loan a few years ago and applied for the advertised rate. After going through all the questions I was told I couldnt have the advertised rate and it would be a higher percentage interest.
    The problem was that I had pretty much no credit rating as it had been well over a decade since I had any loans or credit cards.
    So because they couldnt tell if I was a good payer I couldnt get the low rate.
    All seems backwards to me.
    E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Finance

Post by ronk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:33 pm

The scarey things are the loan companies along with goods and equipment ads on TV - look at the APR - eye watering !

I think a credit card and regular use and pay the bill in Full each month keeps the credit rating positive. I stand ready to be corrected on this point .
    Last edited by ronk on Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Finance

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:34 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:12 pm

Same with Balance Transfer credit cards, the transfer fee will be approx their lowest APR so they’re largely covered for the initial year in the hope you don’t clear by the end of the 0% period and jump back up to the 20% APR and they make their money this way.

As you’ve stated, being a good and diligent credit customer will sometimes limit your options.

The one loser won’t be the bank and if they mismanage badly enough the government will bail them out in 99% of the cases

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)