Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Power Up out today...Friday...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:29 pm

Anyone listened to it...?

I would have bet money on they were finished 5 yrs or so ago after Rock or Bust world tour finished. Brain going deaf, Phil Rudd in all sorts of bother with death threats and drugs, Cliff Williams retiring, and Malcolm Young passing away, admittedly he’d finished touring long before due to dementia. Pretty hard to see any way back imho but here they are with a new album and ready to tour again when the bastard virus is quashed enough to allow some normality. Honestly it’s a so so album, it’s safe and understandable, them doing what they do best, Shot in the dark the best track, but it’s a little too samey all the way through but tbh I’m glad they’re back, i’m a life long fan and Dirty Deeds was the 2nd album I ever bought as a kid.

Good old rock n roll with no agenda than having a good time, I still can’t decide between Highway to Hell and and Back in Black though..... :D
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Stevo1987

Post by Stevo1987 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:35 pm

john-e89 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:29 pm Anyone listened to it...?

I would have bet money on they were finished 5 yrs or so ago after Rock or Bust world tour finished. Brain going deaf, Phil Rudd in all sorts of bother with death threats and drugs, Cliff Williams retiring, and Malcolm Young passing away, admittedly he’d finished touring long before due to dementia. Pretty hard to see any way back imho but here they are with a new album and ready to tour again when the bastard virus is quashed enough to allow some normality. Honestly it’s a so so album, it’s safe and understandable, them doing what they do best, Shot in the dark the best track, but it’s a little too samey all the way through but tbh I’m glad they’re back, i’m a life long fan and Dirty Deeds was the 2nd album I ever bought as a kid.

Good old rock n roll with no agenda than having a good time, I still can’t decide between Highway to Hell and and Back in Black though..... :D
Nope. I don't think I could listen to a whole album of theirs. A few songs maybe. I even play Highway to Hell on the guitar when I feel like a bit of noise. :D
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:03 am

Like you say John-E89 'Power Up' is a so so album. Safe and formulaic but nothing outstanding. Also I don't think the mix/production is very good, it's a bit mushy and lacks definition and brightness. Their best album imho is Let There Be Rock...not a bad track on it and Bon Scotts dirty and sleazy vocals too. I much prefer the Bon Scott Mk1 AC/DC to the Brian Johnson Mk2 AC/DC. After Scott's death Johnson had some massive boots to fill and although a very capable frontman I think the dynamic within the band changed and they became a different beast altogether, a stadium rock monster. As much as I like most of the Mk2s more well known anthems for me you just can't beat the Mk1s more raw, jangly and raucous sound. They were also all alot younger back then :D
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:19 am

This link is the only recording of theirs that I like. Mk1 of course. I heard it earlier this year for the first time and it is on my main playlist. Love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClvRgZjBCvo
Last edited by BeeEmm on Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:22 am

patriot66 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:03 am Like you say John-E89 'Power Up' is a so so album. Safe and formulaic but nothing outstanding. Also I don't think the mix/production is very good, it's a bit mushy and lacks definition and brightness. Their best album imho is Let There Be Rock...not a bad track on it and Bon Scotts dirty and sleazy vocals too. I much prefer the Bon Scott Mk1 AC/DC to the Brian Johnson Mk2 AC/DC. After Scott's death Johnson had some massive boots to fill and although a very capable frontman I think the dynamic within the band changed and they became a different beast altogether, a stadium rock monster. As much as I like most of the Mk2s more well known anthems for me you just can't beat the Mk1s more raw, jangly and raucous sound. They were also all alot younger back then :D
I once read that someone suggested they dropped into cruise control once Scott was no more. I guess he was right, but having said that as you say you can’t replace Bon Scott so I guess it was inevitable they became a different band.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:32 am

Brian Johnson’s never been a boozy drugged groupie shagging live on the edge type that Scott was, in fact it was Scott who suggested Johnson to replace him if he left or......I guess he knew his crazy lifestyle wouldnt let him go on for long, but it did give him the edge when he wrote songs, something Johnson hasn’t been able to do simply became he’s such a gentle and nice guy.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:27 am

Haven't bought the new album yet but will do :thumbsup: Been a fan since back in the Bon Scott days couldn't stand Brian at first but I grew too love the old Geordie boy :oops:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:48 pm

metal licker wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:27 am Haven't bought the new album yet but will do :thumbsup: Been a fan since back in the Bon Scott days couldn't stand Brian at first but I grew too love the old Geordie boy :oops:
Huge boots to fill hadn’t he....he was always going to get some stick from Bon’s fans I guess. Thing is if it wasn’t Johnson it would have been somebody else and they would have had a hard time too wouldn’t they. He’s a lovely bloke, genuine and doesn’t do the fame thing, well none of them do actually, just a simple rock n roll band that have lasted the course and then some..!! :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29