Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Watch what you say, it is important. (Some content may offend some people)

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:37 pm

Greg Clarke resigned as FA chairman after apologising for saying ‘coloured footballers’. If he had said ‘footballers of colour’ or ‘people of colour, who play football’, this would have been perfectly acceptable, as the description ‘people of colour’ has been used many times by ‘people of colour’ to include anyone who is a different shade and not necessary black.

The man did a huge amount to kick out racism in football and to me it is harsh that he felt obliged to resign over confusing terminology.

If the word colour should not be used, then I feel it is wrong to say ‘people of colour’.

Am I on my own with this view? I am genuinely interested in how everyone feels.
Last edited by BeeEmm on Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Watch what you say, it is important.

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:22 pm

I must admit I thought it was a bit harsh - it didn't look like he used the words he did in any derogatory context.

But these days it's a minefield so it's a topic that needs to be approached in much the same way as one!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 pm

Why did he even mention their colour....? Was there any need to BeeEmm..?
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:51 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 pm Why did he even mention their colour....? Was there any need to BeeEmm..?
John, he was giving evidence to a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) Committee meeting today and was answering a question around the difficulty of gay players in football coming out because of social media backlash. He said, "If I look at what happens to high-profile female footballers, to high-profile coloured footballers, and the abuse they take on social media... social media is a free-for-all".

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:44 pm

It's like stepping on fkg eggshells these days!

When I was hiring project managers at NRG in Holland a few years ago I was given a briefing from HR about correct terminology and what not to say and how to address certain people. By the end of it my head was hurting and tbh it was going in one ear and out the other in favour of trying to keep a focus on whether the candidates were up to scratch in terms of if they were competent as a PM in a nuclear environment, not if they identified as a gay-trans-person of colour with a side-helping of ADH-fkg-D!!

:x
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:56 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:51 pm
john-e89 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 pm Why did he even mention their colour....? Was there any need to BeeEmm..?
John, he was giving evidence to a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) Committee meeting today and was answering a question around the difficulty of gay players in football coming out because of social media backlash. He said, "If I look at what happens to high-profile female footballers, to high-profile coloured footballers, and the abuse they take on social media... social media is a free-for-all".
He’s gone because of that....???????????? You’re kidding right....?? :o :o
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Stevo1987

Post by Stevo1987 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:56 am

john-e89 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:56 pm
BeeEmm wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:51 pm
John, he was giving evidence to a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) Committee meeting today and was answering a question around the difficulty of gay players in football
coming out because of social media backlash. He said, "If I look at what happens to high-profile female footballers, to high-profile coloured footballers, and the abuse they take on social media... social media is a free-for-all".
He said some other stuff as well.
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:07 am

I thought it was ridiculous. In fact it was a disgrace that such a trivial comment could be contrived as so inappropriate to warrant the ‘outrage’ that it did. What kind of snowflake society do we live in this days??

Honestly, it beggars belief.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

GJ1

Post by GJ1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:02 am

I too thought it was harsh (based on the context of his speech) but I'm not black and a black person may feel differently. I am mixed race and I don't like the term half-cast.

I believe what is acceptable is constantly evolving. What was acceptable in caveman time probably wasn't acceptable in Medieval times and what was acceptable in Medieval times probably isn't acceptable now and so on and so on. Exaggerated for effect. Evolution is gradual but necessary to gain the large differences you see when looking at a longer time period.

Maybe in the future some of the language I've used in this post won't be seen as acceptable.

We all have our opinions built up on our experiences throughout our lives. This is mine. Other opinions are available :)
07 Z4C 3.0si sport sapphire black

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:28 am

He is being accused of 'living in the past' using a term that was common in the 50s and 60s and is now regarded as insulting. I believe that it's use is insulting. I feel though that rather than using an old unacceptable phrase, he used an adjective of a very modern phrase, 'people of colour'.

people with disabilities = disabled people
people of Scotland = Scottish people
people of colour = coloured people

In my opinion, the only way to prevent this happening again is to 'outlaw' the phrase 'people of colour'. Do not use the word colour in this context.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:35 am

ph001 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:07 am What kind of snowflake society do we live in this days??
Whoa! Unless you live in Chernobyl, snowflakes are predominantly white, so you're alienating a large part of the population there. :poke: :D
I'm calling for your resignation!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:04 am

Stevo1987 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:56 am
john-e89 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:56 pm
BeeEmm wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:51 pm John, he was giving evidence to a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) Committee meeting today and was answering a question around the difficulty of gay players in football
coming out because of social media backlash. He said, "If I look at what happens to high-profile female footballers, to high-profile coloured footballers, and the abuse they take on social media... social media is a free-for-all".
He said some other stuff as well.
My first reaction too was that it seemed harsh but digging in a bit it does seem he made several gaffes during the interview with the select committee: Said that "different career interests led South East Asians to choose careers in IT over sport" based on his experience in an office at the FA. Described a gay player coming out as a ‘life choice’ and recounted an anecdote about girl footballers being afraid to be hit by a ball. You may regard these comments as harmless or as someone who is out of touch with how the FA wishes to present itself.

Upshot was there was a storm created and when he phoned around for support from other senior members of the hierarchy there was none to be found. He had also been heavily criticised for his involvement in" Project Big Picture " about which he had been less that honest. I suspect the powers that be had his card marked for some time and these comments provided the opportunity to wave goodbye.
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:14 am

Completely agree. I listened to what he said and any racist comment went straight over my head. Does that make me a racist too. The worlds gone fecking mad. :cry:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:35 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:35 am Whoa! Unless you live in Chernobyl, snowflakes are predominantly white, so you're alienating a large part of the population there.
I'm calling for your resignation!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It's the yellow snow you really need to be wary of!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Z4paul

Post by Z4paul » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:45 am

buzyg wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:14 am Completely agree. I listened to what he said and any racist comment went straight over my head. Does that make me a racist too. The worlds gone fecking mad. :cry:
Agree the world does feel a tad mad and uncertain given the ongoing covid pandemic, dramas in the US etc. Also agree with other poster about the likley lack of support for him, his words certainly were clumsy at least which is a shame given what i think were his good intentions. He has though referred to the possibility of racism at FA as fluff and i am not sure who would refer to a neighbour or a bmw salesperson or a colleague as 'coloured', why would we?? I think the label has very difficult associations with the period of appartheid in SA and 'no colourds' type signs that rosa parkes campaigned against decades ago... my mum remembers this message being a pretty standard 'welcome' at clubs, guest houses etc.
2.0 m sport (suspension / steering wheel/scuff plates) cupholders sapphire black with factory hard top. Needs a little tlc but loving it.