Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just scuffed my neighbours bumper (Not a euphemism)

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Z4paul

Post by Z4paul » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:43 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:57 pm The problem with Chips Away is that it is a franchise, so the quality of the job you get depends entirely on the abilities of the owner of the franchise where you live.

I had a couple of bits done by them on my 1 Series and was more than happy with the end result.
Certainly are a mix of reviews online and here so this would make sense. The operators certainly had plenty of kit in the way of gazebos over the vehicles / uv lights, compressors and plenty of time on the job as it were so not rushed and looked v good for a while...others will have a much better experience of course :thumbsup:
2.0 m sport (suspension / steering wheel/scuff plates) cupholders sapphire black with factory hard top. Needs a little tlc but loving it.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:00 pm

I had one on an Alfa Spider and depending on how the car was Parked, you could not see the job but park it slightly different and you could see a clear line where the paint was applied - half way along the wing, from top to bottom - shockingly bad job :thumbsdown:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

DSGRNMCM

Post by DSGRNMCM » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:40 pm

So finally had a call from the owner, he wants to have a chat on Tuesday evening and wants to go through the insurance.

It is his perogative, but a bit over kill for scuff on a 2013 car.

Will I lose my NCB for such a minor claim against me?
E86 Z4m Coupe - Titan Silver, Stubby, Sun protection, Eibach springs, LED interior lights, CDV delete, Badge delete, Pipercross, Exhaust bypass
F11 520d, E46 328i, E91 320d, F21 120d, E46 318ti
Mk VI GTD DSG (Daily Hack)

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:10 pm

DSGRNMCM wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:40 pm So finally had a call from the owner, he wants to have a chat on Tuesday evening and wants to go through the insurance.

You shouldn’t lose all your ncb but a percentage of it :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:20 pm

I’d be tempted to get a quote from a reputable spray shop for that, as he doesn’t want a smart repair. I doubt it would cost much more than your excess even at somewhere pretty mainstream, not to mention the addition in premiums when you click “yes” to a claim.
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:06 pm

If you pay for NCB protection you wouldn't lose any. But to get around this many insurers just add a bit to the premium if you have a fault claim so it can be a bit of a "no win" scenario. There shouldn't be any excess to pay for damage to his car, excesses usually only apply to damage to your own car.

In your situation I'd try to persuade him to get an estimate from a bodyshop (or two?) of his choice then give you the option of paying yourself or putting it through your insurance.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:46 pm

It may be "only a 2013 car" but it could be his pride and joy that he would like fixed properly, after all he didnt damage it and you did say it was mint.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:15 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:46 pm It may be "only a 2013 car" but it could be his pride and joy that he would like fixed properly, after all he didnt damage it and you did say it was mint.
This. Obvs you did the right thing owning up but if he wants to go through insurance for possibly a perceived better guarantee then so be it, he may well have saved for years to buy this car, It’s his call 100%.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:18 pm

Do you mean he wants t
DSGRNMCM wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:40 pm So finally had a call from the owner, he wants to have a chat on Tuesday evening and wants to go through the insurance.

Do you mean he wants to claim off his insurance? He can’t make you claim off your insurance, your responsibility is just to make good the damage you’ve caused. If you don’t want to lose your NCB, you may have a responsibility to declare the accident on your renewal, but you absolutely don’t have to make a claim
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:29 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:06 pm If you pay for NCB protection you wouldn't lose any. But to get around this many insurers just add a bit to the premium if you have a fault claim so it can be a bit of a "no win" scenario. There shouldn't be any excess to pay for damage to his car, excesses usually only apply to damage to your own car.

In your situation I'd try to persuade him to get an estimate from a bodyshop (or two?) of his choice then give you the option of paying yourself or putting it through your insurance.
Well that’s something new learnt for my day about the excess :icb:
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:02 am

-Tom- wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:29 pm Well that’s something new learnt for my day about the excess
Well to be fair I do have a bit of insider knowledge after 30+ years working in General Insurance claims!

On Comprehensive motor insurance there will be Accidental Damage excesses, Fire & Theft excesses, Windscreen excesses that vary depending upon whether it's a repair or replacement (and whether you use their appointed contractor), but not usually for Third Party claims.

Some posts attributed to me have appeared on here. :headbang:
Last edited by Mr Tidy on Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:50 am

I would want it fixed properly as well!
I paid an extra £850 for the Tanzanite paint job on the 335 when I bought it and wouldn’t fancy a rattle can flash over, even though the car is five years old now.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

DSGRNMCM

Post by DSGRNMCM » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:08 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:02 am
-Tom- wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:29 pm Well that’s something new learnt for my day about the excess
Well to be fair I do have a bit of insider knowledge after 30+ years working in General Insurance claims!

Morning,

The accidental damage excess, is that excess paid by me or the damaged car owner?

On Comprehensive motor insurance there will be Accidental Damage excesses, Fire & Theft excesses, Windscreen excesses that vary depending upon whether it's a repair or replacement (and whether you use their appointed contractor), but not usually for Third Party claims.

Some posts attributed to me have appeared on here. :headbang:
E86 Z4m Coupe - Titan Silver, Stubby, Sun protection, Eibach springs, LED interior lights, CDV delete, Badge delete, Pipercross, Exhaust bypass

DSGRNMCM

Post by DSGRNMCM » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Sorry Mr Tidy, finger trouble.

So he claims off his insurance (Accidental Damage) and he pays an excess or I pay an Excess on my insurance to repair his car?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:43 pm

Not quite that straighforward I'm afraid. :roll:

If he claims on his insurance he will pay his excess, but his insurer will then claim their costs back from your insurer - or from you if you don't notify your insurer.

But you won't pay an excess on your policy for damage to his car as your excess only applies to damage to your car, so if he claims direct from your insurer neither of you will pay an excess. But you may find it costs you a bit more when you come to renew for a few years.
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black