Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Watch Repair and Despair final update

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Watch Repair and Despair final update

Post by TitanTim » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi all,

Slightly gutted today to find my Tag Monaco Gulf has packed in. No idea what the issue is but wandering if its because it hasn't been wound for a few months. Its probably due for a Service anyways as I bought it secondhand from Watchfinder 4 years ago. I think with this watch you can't overwind it as it has a clutch that lets the mainspring slip once its fully wound so don't think thats the issue

I guess the question is do I contact Tag and send it off to them or use a local watch repairer, first time I've needed a mechanical watch repair.

I have a watch repairer local to me who is a fully qualified horologist and guarantee their work but undecided if its the way to go than using Tag themselves. I guess its a bit like getting the car servced at BMW or at an indy.

Any thoughts on using a general watch repairer or should I avoid and just stick with the manufacturer for this type of thing.

Thanks,

Tim.
Last edited by TitanTim on Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mister T

Watch Repair

Post by Mister T » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:41 pm

I always get my Tags serviced by Tag directly. They aren't that expensive and the service is very good.

ClumUK

Watch Repair

Post by ClumUK » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:56 pm

If you're happy to let an indy service your BMW, then find yourself a decent watchmaker. They don't need to be local as I used to post mine off to a great guy until he retired a few years ago. Some ADs will will ship the work out to Switzerland for repair anyway, though I don't know about Tag specifically.

Personally I find prices from the manufacturer to be horrific (don't ever lose spare links!), Tag will charge around £500 just to service your Monaco whereas an independent shouldn't be more than £300. When you own several watches those savings start to add up.
2010 BMW Z4 35is (E89) - Deep Sea Blue Metallic
2016 Mini Cooper S - LapisLuxury Blue
1998 Toyota MR2 GT T-Bar Mk2 Rev5 - Orange Mica
----------------------------------
2003 Honda S2000 GT - Spa Yellow Pearl
1996 Toyota Celica ST Gen6 - Lucerne Silver

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Watch Repair

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:51 am

funnily enough my seiko presage that I haven't worn for months has started running pretty fast +20 mins a day after not wearing it for months, it'll be going to an indi watchsmith for sure as its only a 400 quid watch, same as anything mechanical really if they're trusted then I'm happy to avoid main dealer pricing :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Mister T

Watch Repair

Post by Mister T » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:18 am

My last service from Tag, which included a polish and a new bezel, was only £345.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Watch Repair

Post by TitanTim » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:14 pm

Thanks for the replies, unsure why it's stopped working odd really as it was fine a few months back and has been sitting on a watch stand with all the other watches and not touched so thinking maybe damp has got inside it maybe.

Unsure where to take it. The Tag service site does have a costs download albeight from 2017 and indicates a service for a Monaco is around 4 to 500 mark.

I've used Ernest Jones for a Tisot in the past and they sent it away to them for a battery and reseal. As they are Tag AD I might try them again.

A bit peeved as it cost 4k and only worn it half a dozen times.

Tim.

Hilly30si

Watch Repair

Post by Hilly30si » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:48 pm

Send it to Tag it’s only Manchester. The mainspring can just let go sometimes mine did on Omega :thumbsup:
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Tommo61

Watch Repair

Post by Tommo61 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:05 am

Watchdoctors in Tring are pretty good. As well as doing individual service and repairs, a number of high st jewellers outsource their work to them. https://watchdoctors.co.uk/price-guide-c/
E85 3.0l si auto Midnight/Beige
E85 3.0l si man Sapphire/Beige (gone)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Watch Repair

Post by TitanTim » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:35 pm

Tommo61 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:05 am Watchdoctors in Tring are pretty good. As well as doing individual service and repairs, a number of high st jewellers outsource their work to them. https://watchdoctors.co.uk/price-guide-c/

Many thanks, appreciate the link :thumbsup:

I'm just about to send the Tag off to Luxury Watch Repairs, they've sent me a special delivery pre paid posting kit so will see how it goes.

Tim.

Big Bad Boris

Watch Repair

Post by Big Bad Boris » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 am

TitanTim wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:35 pm
Tommo61 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:05 am Watchdoctors in Tring are pretty good. As well as doing individual service and repairs, a number of high st jewellers outsource their work to them. https://watchdoctors.co.uk/price-guide-c/

Hi Tim,

Have you got the watch back yet, if so are you pleased with the outcome?

BBB

I'm just about to send the Tag off to Luxury Watch Repairs, they've sent me a special delivery pre paid posting kit so will see how it goes.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Watch Repair

Post by TitanTim » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:02 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 am
TitanTim wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi Tim,

Have you got the watch back yet, if so are you pleased with the outcome?

BBB

Tim.
Not as yet, its been about 3 weeks or so, they said it could take upto 6 weeks as once the watch has been completely stripped, steam cleaned and defective parts replaced, new seals etc they monitor its timekeeping for a week before its returned, work is guaranteed for 2 years. A bit pricey though at £549 but hey ho the watch is worth around 4 grand, the company have a good reputation.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Watch Repair

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:25 pm

Hi all,

Just a bit of an update on the service of my Tag Heuer Monaco Gulf watch that I sent off to a company called Luxury Watch Repairs. Reason I chose this company was they make a play on servicing high end watches, Rolex, Omega, Breitling etc so naturally assumed they knew what they were doing.

Fast forward 12 weeks and the watch came back to me on Saturday. The watch had a full service, complete dismantle, steam clean, parts replaced as it had stopped running etc.

This is the first time I've had a mechanical watch serviced so really unsure what to expect in terms of watch handling etc but all I know is the watch was in mint condition and I mean unworn condition. I had spent some time searching for this watch second hand to find one in such condition.

Anyways unpacked it and this is what I found,

Chunk taken out of the corner of the case.

Marring, nicks and pitting of the side of the case and lugs

Flattening to edge of lug

Nick to side of lug

So I guess my question is what should I reasonably expect? following a watch service. Pi$$ed off is an understatement. I get that watches get scratched, dinged and scuffed but that's fine if I have done the wear to the watch but to me this is pure carelessness and so I have been charged £550 to have it look worse. It was worth around 4k and I'm guessing it's value has been significantly reduced now.

Am I being too fussy? I've emailed them and sent the images and said I'm unhappy with the level of service and damage but not expecting anything.

Tim.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Watch Repair and Despair update

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:34 pm

Jesus. Do you have 'before' pics?
If not, I doubt you have a leg to stand on as they will just claim that's how they received it.
What a palava!
:o
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:37 pm

Chris_D wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:34 pm Jesus. Do you have 'before' pics?
If not, I doubt you have a leg to stand on as they will just claim that's how they received it.
What a palava!
:o
I do have general pics of the watch Chris but not close ups that would show difference in condition. Really wasn't expecting this as assumed they would care for the watch.

A bit gutted really.

Tim.

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:49 pm

That is shocking Tim,

You will need a new case to fix that unfortunately as they have removed too much material to rectify it.

It will have definitely reduced the value too ultimately so I would really be pushing them to rectify it free of charge!

I know Tag didn’t do this work but if it makes you feel any better I had my mechanical watch serviced by Tag directly around 18 months ago and it was equally as shocking as this The only thing was they did rectify it eventually after 3 attempts and I also didn’t pay a penny for the service as a goodwill gesture.

Good luck with getting it resolved.
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone