Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bean to Cup coffee machine

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:40 pm

I've had a DeLonghi machine for about eight years and its now gone on the blink.
I won't always deliver the correct amount of milk and it makes a rasping noise before to grinds the coffee beans.

The deal is I send it back to them FOC, they look at it and give me a price to fix which if not acceptable I pay £15 to have it returned.
A replacement of the same standard is about £700.

It packaged up and ready to ship on Wednesday but Im now wondering if I should just go out and buy a new one?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:59 pm

Surely it costs nothing to try? If they quote you £100 to fix it then go ahead, but if they quote you £400 then you sack it off and buy a new one. Might as well ask!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:06 pm

That’s what I was thinking :thumbsup:

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:06 pm

Probably get more more than the fifteen quid back by selling it as spares or repair on fleabay if you decide to get them to send it back unrepaired if the cost is prohibitive.

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:19 pm

DeLonghi are well known for the repair/refurb service. Your machine will be as good as new when it comes back.
I have one of their bean to cup machines (no milk option though).

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:04 pm

We have had a Cusinart bean to cup machine which has served us well for a few years. More recently we purchased a Sage machine which uses standard Nespresso pods. Being suckers for gadgets we also bought the Nespresso machine which uses the Larger Vertuo pods. We use both machines side by side. The bigger pods enable me to have a large mug of coffee at breakfast time whilst Her Majesty is happy with the standard pod. There is a big choice of coffee and the quality is excellent unlike some of the other pod machines. We bought both machines on special offers so they were reasonably priced. We rarely use the Cuisinart machine now. :roll:

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:45 pm

At work we have recently acquired a Jura E6, bean to cup machine. Now, I really like my coffee and this thing is just superb, can't fault it. Not cheap at £695 though :o
15350-Jura-E6-Piano-Black-Coffee-Machine-1.jpg
15350-Jura-E6-Piano-Black-Coffee-Machine-1.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:50 pm

We have one of the Nespresso Vertuo machines, and an older Nespresso Original...mainly because it let’s different members of the household have their favourite coffee without having to swap out beans/blends (including one who only drinks decaf :x )

The original is mostly used for lattes, cappuccinos and macchiatos as it’s one of the Delonghi Lattissima ones with a built in milk reservoir.

The Vertuo is mostly mine for black coffee...espresso, double espresso and americano...and has been faultless in the 2 years we’ve had it, but it was cheap enough (£180, including a special offer of about 200 free capsules) to simply replace when it it fails (or Nespresso come out with a new capsule design :P ).

The biggest benefits (of both) are:
  • Speed (less than a minute from turning on to removing cup)
  • Convenience (capsule is ejected when you open the hood, and new one simply pops in; on the Vertuo it reads a barcode so you don’t even have to push one of preprogrammed size buttons that you have to on the Original machines)
  • Ease of use (see above; just fill with water and/or milk and push a button)
  • Ease of cleaning (milk container and other removable parts simply go in the dishwasher at the end of the day; descale every 500 capsules or 6 months)
After years with both types, I think we only order about 6 variations of coffee in each size, and about 300 capsules a month in total (which is more than usual as I’m now at home all week instead of working away Mon-Thu).

Would love to try one of their commercial machines, but then your getting into the price range of ‘proper‘ coffee machines.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:04 pm

The machine went away yesterday via parcel force collect from the doorstep.
I’ve now resurrected my 1970’s perculator after buying some ready ground coffee.

If it’s not cost effective to repair I will have to buy another one and will have to consider bean tö cup or pods.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Just had the email from De Longhi repair centre - £130
I don't think its too bad - a new machine with the same functions is circa £600 so I would consider it cost effective to repair.

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:49 pm

Interesting thought you all only drank Tea over there? Apologize if offended. Myself across the pond here an love fresh ground bean coffee. I grind my coffee fresh prior to each cup. :thumbsup:
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:00 pm

I replaced my 10 year old Jura C5 with a De Longhi Eletta it’s easy to use and makes a good latte, £130 to get it repaired seems good value
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:10 am

sars wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:00 pm I replaced my 10 year old Jura C5 with a De Longhi Eletta it’s easy to use and makes a good latte, £130 to get it repaired seems good value
I thought so as well if compared with BMW hourly rates.
They don’t specify what the defect was only the parts required to rectify and that upsets the Engineer in me.

Parts Req’d
OR SIL(WACKER R401)RED 60SH DI=35 MCSA SET DLSC005 CARAFE DL ECAM23/25
SET DLSC002 WATER-FILTER(LAICA) DL (INT) DLS-MECHANICALVALVE ECAM

I’m looking forward to some decent coffee again - I bought some pre ground stuff for the carafe but it’s not nearly as good .

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:19 am

rdm05z4 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:49 pm Interesting thought you all only drank Tea over there? Apologize if offended. Myself across the pond here an love fresh ground bean coffee. I grind my coffee fresh prior to each cup. :thumbsup:
There’s no better way to get ready for your mid-morning coffee than 2 pints of tea.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:56 pm

We bought a Krups Ea9000 about 5 years ago and it’s mental!

Cost about £1k at the time but it’s fully automatic, even wipes my arse!

Checked the other day and I’ve made over 3500 hot drinks with it, so works out not as expensive as it first seems.

£1k for a coffee machine though, feck me!
2011 E89 sDrive20i