Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Numberplate swapping

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
groovy_hippy

Numberplate swapping

Post by groovy_hippy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:45 am

Hi folks,
Looking for some advice and thoughts...I have now entered the world of Coupes (pictures later!!), and need to sort out number plates...

When I first got my personal plate, I put the roadster's original plate (nothing special) on retention, to ensure that it would return to that plate when I changed car (history purposes etc).

Now, I want to put the personal plate on the Coupe and put the roadster's original plate back on it - speaking to the DVLA, this sounds like a RIGHT faff. The question is - should I 'retain' the coupe's original plate (yet more faff), or just let it disappear off into the mists of DVLA and hope that if I sell the coupe, it'll get it's original plate back?

What are people's thoughts and experiences?
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Numberplate swapping

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:19 am

I've done something similar and it was dead easy on line.
I didn't need to put the original plate on retention though, as it automatically goes back to that if you remove the private plate.
This may take a few days to work through on line but I got paperwork back to me really quickly.

1. Remove the personal plate from the roadster and put it on retention. This will then give the roadster back it's original plate.
2. Download a copy of the retention certificate for the private plate, or wait for it to appear in the post (took mine 3 days)
3. Apply the personal plate to the coupe, using the reference number from the new retention certificate.
4. Both the new V5s should come back within a week or so.

You could put the coupe plate on retention as well if you wanted but i'm pretty certain you get the original back if you swap back later anyway.
I've done this three times in the last 4 years and always got the original registration back on the car.

Don't forget that online this is an instantaneous change so you need to have new plates made up ready to go on.
Although, in your case, if you're in doubt, wait until you are certain you get the same number back.
(In my case I'd saved the old plates)

Remember also to change your insurance details.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Numberplate swapping

Post by Ewazix » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:35 am

I've swapped several plates over the years and always got the old number back.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

srhutch

Numberplate swapping

Post by srhutch » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:31 pm

As above no need to retain original plate as it will get reapplied anyway.

Wyldie85

Numberplate swapping

Post by Wyldie85 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Same, Ive taken my private plate off five or six cars and always got the original one back for the car I was taking it off.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Numberplate swapping

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:49 pm

Oh hang on a minute!
(Possible light bulb moment)

If you put the roadster original plate on retention then it won't technically be available, so I suspect a new number will be generated.
Then you will have to put the retained plate back on it as you've effectively made that a private plate.

In short, you may well have complicated matters for yourself unnecessarily.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Numberplate swapping

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:55 pm

I took my plate off online about 10 minutes ago and got a confirmation email back with the original number on it, saying to use it again.

But as enuff_zed has said your original number is now longer available on the DVLA system to go back on because it’s technically “owned” by someone by being on retention to you.

I also think you’ll need to do an extra stage of waiting until the newly generated DVLA number V5 comes back to allow you to assign the original number you have on retention.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

woolybear

Numberplate swapping

Post by woolybear » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:11 pm

Ewazix wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:35 am I've swapped several plates over the years and always got the old number back.
    X2 :thumbsup:

groovy_hippy

Numberplate swapping

Post by groovy_hippy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:07 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:49 pmIn short, you may well have complicated matters for yourself unnecessarily.
    Hmm, yes, I think that may well be the case!!! Think I might have a bit of a job on my hands now!
    Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
    Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Numberplate swapping

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:14 am

groovy_hippy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:07 am
    enuff_zed wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:49 pmIn short, you may well have complicated matters for yourself unnecessarily.
    Hmm, yes, I think that may well be the case!!! Think I might have a bit of a job on my hands now!
    Not really.
    Follow the basic process I laid out at the start.
    Only difference being you will probably have to wait for a new V5 for the allocated number.
    Once that arrives, you can stick your original plate back on via the same on-line process.
    In fact, there's a chance they'll give you enough reference numbers to be able to do it straight off anyway.
    In my head I seem to remember you only need to enter the reg on the car, plus the retention certificate number, but I'm not certain on that.
    Only thing is, if you do have to wait then you either have to park up the roadster or buy a new, unnecessary set of plates, just for a week or so.
    In fact, I'd park it up, or the insurance company will get most confused trying to swap all your numbers around.

groovy_hippy

Numberplate swapping

Post by groovy_hippy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:17 am

It’s in the garage at the moment, so well out of the way. Worst case is it’ll sit on the drive...

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

Numberplate swapping

Post by Nictrix » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:48 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:14 am
    Not really.
    Only difference being you will probably have to wait for a new V5 for the allocated number.
    Once that arrives, you can stick your original plate back on via the same on-line process.
    In fact, there's a chance they'll give you enough reference numbers to be able to do it straight off anyway.
    In my head I seem to remember you only need to enter the reg on the car, plus the retention certificate number, but I'm not certain on that.
    Only thing is, if you do have to wait then you either have to park up the roadster or buy a new, unnecessary set of plates, just for a week or so.
    In fact, I'd park it up, or the insurance company will get most confused trying to swap all your numbers around.
    Would a phone call to DVLA not be better in this instance which could possibly simplify it and speed up the process too without the need for extra V5s.
    E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

srhutch

Numberplate swapping

Post by srhutch » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:52 pm

Thinking about this more you have, because now they will issue a new plate by default, but as said you’ll just have to wait until you get the new V5 and then put the original plate back on.

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Numberplate swapping

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:33 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:48 pm
    enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:14 am
    groovy_hippy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:07 am Hmm, yes, I think that may well be the case!!! Think I might have a bit of a job on my hands now!
    Not really.
    Would a phone call to DVLA not be better in this instance which could possibly simplify it and speed up the process too without the need for extra V5s.
    I was under the impression the OP had looked at that and found it quite complicated.
    I honestly think if they are prepared to wait a few days it'll prove simpler on-line.
    And as I said, I think it may even be possible before the V5 arrives as they do give you a reference number on the confirmation on their website.

groovy_hippy

Numberplate swapping

Post by groovy_hippy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:54 am

So, my plan is to wait for the V5 for the coupe to come through the post, and then the fun starts. I shall keep you all updated with the happenings - thanks for all the advice!!