Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fleet reduction exercise

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:17 am

Well this Covid malarkey has caused a bit of a rethink in our household. With me now likely to continue working mostly from home and SWMBO semi-retired, we don't need a daily each. So Vall's 220d convertible is going back next week, and this afternoon I am trading in my 335d. In return we are picking up a new 120d X Drive M Sport, in Misano Blue. Do love a bright car, should look good on the drive with my VO E89.
I am going to miss the 335, it was a hell of a car, but I knew it would be an indulgence I wouldn't repeat, having only got it as it was part of a cancelled fleet order and in total I got £10k off list price and 0% finance.
The 120's grille is a little marmite, but on that blue it doesn't look too bad tbh. Looking forward to seeing how it performs; and whether I can ever work out what all the gadgets do!!
Don't have any pics of it yet, but did take a reminder of the old diesel estate wolf in sheep's clothing before it goes. Did I mention I'll miss it. :cry:

Still have two Z4s though. They're here to stay. :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG (218.74 KiB) Viewed 506 times
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

brillomaster

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by brillomaster » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:11 am

it is a weird one this working from home malarkey...

before covid i was driving into work every day and my wife was getting the train to oxford every day. now it looks like i can go in 3 days a week (if at all - i can do all my work from home) and my wife can go in 2 days a week, so just share the one car. Which saves us £3600 a year for her train ticket :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by buzyg » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:20 am

Yes hard times for many, but for most the current situation is saving them money.

Don't forget the pics of the new car. Might have to be from the back though. :wink:

brillomaster

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by brillomaster » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:28 am

I think this whole covid thing is going to bring about a massive change with the way people work and travel... there will be a lot of businesses realising that their work can be done by people staying at home, therefore businesses will begin to downsize offices to save money, and employees will reduce car ownership, save money on fuel and time on commuting. The price of fuel will also drop as demand decreases, as it has done so already.

may also mean that more interesting cars get bought, which is good for interesting cars in the future! if my yearly average mileage drops from 15,000 a year to 5,000 a year AND fuel is cheaper, then suddenly i might find myself in a 335i rather than a 330d...
Last edited by brillomaster on Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:30 am

buzyg wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:20 am Yes hard times for many, but for most the current situation is saving them money.

Don't forget the pics of the new car. Might have to be from the back though. :wink:
Ha ha. Not as bad as some models tbh. I guess the 1 series has less space to mess up.
Got a couple of shots at the dealers last week.
Attachments
Wells 2.jpg
Wells 2.jpg (141.66 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Wells 1.jpg
Wells 1.jpg (141.04 KiB) Viewed 478 times

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:32 am

brillomaster wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:28 am I think this whole covid thing is going to bring about a massive change with the way people work and travel... there will be a lot of businesses realising that their work can be done by people staying at home, therefore businesses will begin to downsize offices to save money, and employees will reduce car ownership, save money on fuel and time on commuting. The price of fuel will also drop as demand decreases, as it has done so already.

may also mean that more interesting cars get bought, which is good for interesting cars in the future! if my yearly average mileage drops from 15,000 a year to 5,000 a year, then suddenly i might find myself in a 335i rather than a 330d...
Well I went home on 17th March and have been working from here ever since. Some jobs lend themselves to it, and as a Technical Author for a smallish company I mostly work on my own anyway.
As of September I go back just on a Wednesday so they can remember what I look like. (So that'll be a quieter day on the forum :D )
We reckon, with tax, insurance and fuel considered, we'll be over £500 a month better off.

brillomaster

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by brillomaster » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:36 am

That blue is lovely! and its not truly awful looking... :P compared to the 5 series/7 series and the new 4 series, that grille is understated! it'll probably blend in just fine if you swapped it out for a black one.

and yeah, i'd say we're about £450 a month better off currently. of course, forgot about the saving on tax, insurance and running costs as well.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:40 am

brillomaster wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:36 am That blue is lovely! and its not truly awful looking...
Is it sad that the first thought I had was 'those wheels will clean easily' :rofl:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by buzyg » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:09 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:40 am
brillomaster wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:36 am That blue is lovely! and its not truly awful looking...
Is it sad that the first thought I had was 'those wheels will clean easily' :rofl:
I completely mist the wheels until I read this. Do like them though. As for the colour it has long been a favourite of mine. Inevitable that such lovely colours become very popular.

IRD

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by IRD » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:31 pm

The new car looks stunning. I am sure you will get used to the grill in time. We had a 330d Touring which we loved but being retired couldn’t really justify. In addition covering a very low mileage is not the best thing for the big Diesel engines. So we now have a 2litre Corolla Hybrid Estate which we like (though not as much as the 330d) and the 3.5is for a bit of fun. If I had all the money I had spent on cars over the years in the bank I would be really well off but then I think of all the pleasure I have had from owning them all. :roll:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:45 pm

Well I just drove it home. Not saying it was a wet drive, but some bloke called Moses helped me across a couple of the larger puddles!!!
First bonus point is, I can't see the grille from the driver's seat :thumbsup:
Now for many hours of fun trying to work out how it all works. Digital dash is a new thing to get to grips with. Been trying to explain to wifey that I like a needle to look at. I instinctively know if it's at a legal angle or not.
Managed to switch off the nanny lane departure thing already.
Attachments
First day home.JPG
First day home.JPG (222.13 KiB) Viewed 407 times

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Fleet reduction exercise

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:34 pm

Sounds like good news all round OP. :thumbsup:

The new car looks great in that colour, and you aren't alone in liking wheels that are easy to clean!

You do know it's FWD though? :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black