Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Why I hate the public

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Vonlipvig

Why I hate the public

Post by Vonlipvig » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:51 pm

Came out to this this morning, right down through the paint on the edge of the bonnet. Pisses me right off, even more so that I feel it's pointless doing anything to correct it.

Car is parked on the road, no drive or garage, and seem to come out to something knew every couple of months so what's the point in repairing it. Would end up costing me a fortune several times a year. Why would someone get that close to a parked car to scratch it like that on a wide pavement? :headbang:
Attachments
DSC_0457.JPG
DSC_0457.JPG (339.19 KiB) Viewed 721 times
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Why I hate the public

Post by Smartbear » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:52 pm

It’s probably jealousy, could you hire a garage locally to get it off the road?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

brillomaster

Why I hate the public

Post by brillomaster » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:56 pm

:thumbsdown: that sucks.

i suspect all too easily done unfortunately, kids playing along the street, swinging handbags, even metal rivets on jeans from a drunken student stumbling home, who knows.

Z4C_er

Why I hate the public

Post by Z4C_er » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:57 pm

Vonlipvig wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:51 pm Came out to this this morning, right down through the paint on the edge of the bonnet. Pisses me right off, even more so that I feel it's pointless doing anything to correct it.

Car is parked on the road, no drive or garage, and seem to come out to something knew every couple of months so what's the point in repairing it. Would end up costing me a fortune several times a year. Why would someone get that close to a parked car to scratch it like that on a wide pavement? :headbang:
I hear you, and feel for you. Have you got a dash cam fitted with a parking sentry? I had one once, and it did a timelapse movie, which was very good. You may find the culprit/s?
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Vonlipvig

Why I hate the public

Post by Vonlipvig » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:09 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:52 pm It’s probably jealousy, could you hire a garage locally to get it off the road?
Rob
There are a few around so it is a good idea, but it's my daily and I'm regularly loading alot of bits in and out and parked in random carparks when I go out where similar can and does happen.

The car is by no means in mint condition, it's a pauper spec cloth seats 290s on 90k 59 plate so no extra value in having all the scratches sorted, would need a full re spray just for it to happen again. I make sure she's mechanically tip top, but paintwork, just no point around here
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Vonlipvig

Why I hate the public

Post by Vonlipvig » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:57 pm
Vonlipvig wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:51 pm Came out to this this morning, right down through the paint on the edge of the bonnet. Pisses me right off, even more so that I feel it's pointless doing anything to correct it.

I hear you, and feel for you. Have you got a dash cam fitted with a parking sentry? I had one once, and it did a timelapse movie, which was very good. You may find the culprit/s?
Again a good suggestion as I don't have one, but I fear it would just drive me insane looking for them followed by police and insurance doing bugger all. When someone reversed into my wife's car last year outside our front door, with witnesses, and drove off, police did nothing nor insurance. Worst thing is the van that did it is owned by people on the next Street. Left note on the van with no response. People doing that where they live is really low.

Just keep my default position that everyone is a *insert your preferred term*

And yes, this is a bit of a rant. It's the third thing to really wind me up today :rofl:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Why I hate the public

Post by TitanTim » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:21 pm

Very annoying, I'm guessing pavement side so probably some bright spark with a coin or a key. Accidents happen but I imagine that's just for the fun of it.

I feel your pain having to park anything remotely nice on the street. People who do this on purpose should have their face keyed.

Tim.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Why I hate the public

Post by Number5 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:37 pm

TitanTim wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:21 pm I feel your pain having to park anything remotely nice on the street. People who do this on purpose should have their Scrotum keyed.
Tim.
There you go. I've corrected it for you Tim.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

IRD

Why I hate the public

Post by IRD » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:42 pm

I think anybody who cares about their car would feel for you. The pain is increased by the stress of feeling helpless to find and deal appropriately with the culprits. We have two small unobtrusive battery operated cameras which are linked to our wi-fi network. They are located out of reach of passers-by on the front of our bungalow. They cover the entrance to the drive and are very easy to install. Batteries are re-chargeable and last about a month before needing to be charged.

Vonlipvig

Why I hate the public

Post by Vonlipvig » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:54 pm

IRD wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:42 pm I think anybody who cares about their car would feel for you. The pain is increased by the stress of feeling helpless to find and deal appropriately with the culprits. We have two small unobtrusive battery operated cameras which are linked to our wi-fi network. They are located out of reach of passers-by on the front of our bungalow. They cover the entrance to the drive and are very easy to install. Batteries are re-chargeable and last about a month before needing to be charged.
Sounds like a good solution, if I only I could park outside the house with certainty, or even my road :rofl: Frequently I'm in a different postcode
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

IRD

Why I hate the public

Post by IRD » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:21 pm

Vonlipvig wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:54 pm
IRD wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:42 pm I think anybody who cares about their car would feel for you. The pain is increased by the stress of feeling helpless to find and deal appropriately with the culprits. We have two small unobtrusive battery operated cameras which are linked to our wi-fi network. They are located out of reach of passers-by on the front of our bungalow. They cover the entrance to the drive and are very easy to install. Batteries are re-chargeable and last about a month before needing to be charged.
Sounds like a good solution, if I only I could park outside the house with certainty, or even my road :rofl: Frequently I'm in a different postcode
It must be really difficult and disheartening for you. There is no satisfactory solution other than moving house.

Vonlipvig

Why I hate the public

Post by Vonlipvig » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:41 pm

IRD wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:21 pm It must be really difficult and disheartening for you. There is no satisfactory solution other than moving house.
Got it in a nutshell. Moving is the only solution. It's a shame as the area is genuinely really nice, if we had off road parking would be sorted. Moving now doesn't tie in with what we want from the next 10 years though unfortunately. All I can do is rant for a few hours then move on, rinse and repeat the next time it happens. No plans to get rid of the Z so don't have to worry about sale value :thumbsup:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Why I hate the public

Post by john-e89 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:07 pm

Costly but if you’re keeping the car maybe a PPF wrap..? Would have stopped that scratch for sure.

Bloody annoying.....So many folk don’t care a damn about other people’s property. :x
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Vonlipvig

Why I hate the public

Post by Vonlipvig » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:35 pm

john-e89 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:07 pm Costly but if you’re keeping the car maybe a PPF wrap..? Would have stopped that scratch for sure.

Bloody annoying.....So many folk don’t care a damn about other people’s property. :x
The paintwork is that marked with stone chips, car park dings etc it's a bit late :cry: If ever I get the chance to respray though it would be a damn fine shout :thumbsup:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

scootr

Why I hate the public

Post by scootr » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:31 pm

I have security cameras set up for a couple of years now... Any like that going on would be recorded and easily shared on social media or with the popo . Pretty cheap and kind of fun to see what all is really going on day or night(vision). See Amazon for CCT systems. Or cheaper yet just buy the Video surveillance sign and a couple of fake cameras ( $10) and put that s**t up out front :rofl:
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace