Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

That end of a PCP feeling

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:38 am

Amazing how quickly time flies and after 4 years the M140i has been paid off so nice to think the monthly payments are behind me.

Mileage covered is....... :)

Imagewhere to upload images

MPG I'm working on it :lol:

Before I get lambasted as I did on another forum I always intended for the car to be little used and that I would buy at the end of the PCP and keep for when I retire in a few years. I was quite shocked at the vitriolic comments aimed at me when i mentioned what mileage or lack of I'd done, personal abuse etc, I don't get it why people have to be so nasty on forums at times.

I still think it's a reasonably unique car being a rear drive hatch with a 6cyl. The balloon was just over 13k so I think I got a bargain, some might argue what a waste but to me I enjoy owning the car, still as good as the day it rolled out the factory and never been out in the rain and it gives me pleasure looking after it, isn't that what it's all about?

Looking at Autotrader private sales these seem to be around the 19k so I could make a profit :? But I think I would regret selling it.

I've resisted any temptation to mod the car but just added a small lip boot spoiler the other week. I've been considering the M Performance exhaust as a maybe.

Tim.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:55 am

:o I knew it was low but didnt think it was that low.
Please work out how much it has cost you per mile to own, it would be quite interesting.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:06 am

Nictrix wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:55 am :o I knew it was low but didnt think it was that low.
Please work out how much it has cost you per mile to own, it would be quite interesting.
The mileage is high, I was watching Chasing Classic Cars the other week where they came across a 1965 Volvo in storage with 4 miles on the clock, still had the factory covers on the seats and steering wheel. It had been bought by a Volvo dealer and put straight into storage and handed down the family but was never used.

Cost per mile, I dread to think not going there :lol: no idea probably over 30 quid a mile :)

Tim.

SiJar

Post by SiJar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:18 am

Yes the balloon payment was very good and seems you got a bargain, however what was the total cost with all the payments as that is unlikely to make it a bargain? It is a lovely looking car and the main thing is if your happy then sod everyone else. I also enjoy looking after my relevantly low mileage Z4MC and only put on a couple of hundred miles a year. When I’m ready to sell it I know it will be one of the very best in the UK and it’s maintained regardless of cost. Like you I get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction looking after it, ready for its next lucky owner!
Z4///MC

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:23 am

TitanTim wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:38 am
The balloon was just over 13k so I think I got a bargain,

Looking at Autotrader private sales these seem to be around the 19k so I could make a profit :?

Tim.

Not sure that's how it works Tim :wink: if you sold for £19k you could get £6k back to buy another car outright but to make £6k profit you would have to have paid £13k for the car & i guess 4yrs of PCP payments will total a touch more than that :roll:
Pure guess here on actual monthly figure but 48 months x £350 = £16800 + £13k balloon = £29800 so selling for £19k would be a loss of £10k for the pleasure of 700 miles :cry: but like you say its about the ownership enjoyment
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:40 am

mr wilks wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:23 am
TitanTim wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:38 am
The balloon was just over 13k so I think I got a bargain,

Looking at Autotrader private sales these seem to be around the 19k so I could make a profit :?

Tim.

Not sure that's how it works Tim :wink: if you sold for £19k you could get £6k back to buy another car outright but to make £6k profit you would have to have paid £13k for the car & i guess 4yrs of PCP payments will total a touch more than that :roll:
Pure guess here on actual monthly figure but 48 months x £350 = £16800 + £13k balloon = £29800 so selling for £19k would be a loss of £10k for the pleasure of 700 miles :cry: but like you say its about the ownership enjoyment
Yeah thinking about it that way, I've lost a shed load :lol: but then we don't buy cars to think about how much they devalue otherwise I guess we'd all be walking :lol:

Looking at it another way, at least I'm not Schmee, I was thinking how much he must lose on his cars compared to mileage and use but I guess all relative. There must be more expensive hobbies than cars :)

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:41 am

SiJar wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:18 am Yes the balloon payment was very good and seems you got a bargain, however what was the total cost with all the payments as that is unlikely to make it a bargain? It is a lovely looking car and the main thing is if your happy then sod everyone else. I also enjoy looking after my relevantly low mileage Z4MC and only put on a couple of hundred miles a year. When I’m ready to sell it I know it will be one of the very best in the UK and it’s maintained regardless of cost. Like you I get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction looking after it, ready for its next lucky owner!
:thumbsup:

Tim.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:52 am

Wowsers. You’re totally right that it’s your money and you can do what you want with it (especially if it means a lot to you to have it parked on the driveway) but did you consider spending it on super car hire or track days?

You could get 1000, fully comp miles for two drivers in a GT3 or 570s for less outlay, for example.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:55 am

Lovely car Tim. If a car is a keeper then what does it matter how much you paid to own it. :thumbsup:

I always assume any car I buy will be worth scrap when I sell it. Never going to be disappointed that way. :lol:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:01 am

On the plus side from here on you have a car paid outright , no intention of selling so can enjoy 5-10 yrs relatively low cost motoring :wink:
If the system works for some then happy days , its those on the continual PCP cycle that will look back after 10yrs & wonder wtf they did it :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:06 am

MrPT wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:52 am Wowsers. You’re totally right that it’s your money and you can do what you want with it (especially if it means a lot to you to have it parked on the driveway) but did you consider spending it on super car hire or track days?

You could get 1000, fully comp miles for two drivers in a GT3 or 570s for less outlay, for example.
One way of looking at it but then when I think how much money I've spent on cars over the years I probably coud have bought a nice Porsche and just kept it rather than changing every few years with cheaper car :?

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:07 am

buzyg wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:55 am Lovely car Tim. If a car is a keeper then what does it matter how much you paid to own it. :thumbsup:

I always assume any car I buy will be worth scrap when I sell it. Never going to be disappointed that way. :lol:
Good take on it and how I'm looking at it, if I'm not planning on selling and just keep it running for however long it will last then value doesn't really matter :)

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:15 am

mr wilks wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:01 am On the plus side from here on you have a car paid outright , no intention of selling so can enjoy 5-10 yrs relatively low cost motoring :wink:
If the system works for some then happy days , its those on the continual PCP cycle that will look back after 10yrs & wonder wtf they did it :P
The PCP cycle is really something I wanted to get out of to be honest as over the next 3 to 4 years I'm wanting to clear any debts in case I decide to retire. The BMW dealer was quite pressing on me stepping from the 140i to the new 135i and another 4 year PCP but have no interest in the new model.

I have a PCP on my Hyundai Kona so will have to decide whether to buy at the end of the term or just hand it back.

I do have the inclination on retirement in stepping back into a Roadster of some sort again :)

Tim.

IRD

Post by IRD » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:40 pm

:rofl: I have had a lot of cars over the 55 years I have been driving and dread to think how much money I’ve spent. Some of them were disasters, like the the little Frog Eyed Sprite I bought when I started work. It was so clapped out it would’nt pull the skin off the custard. When I took it to be tuned the mechanic put it on the rolling road and laughed. His advice, ‘sell it as soon as possible’. But I have loved owning them all. People who see cars as purely ‘transport’ don’t understand the pleasure to be had from owning and looking after your cars. Just standing and looking at my Z brings a smile to my face. So I understand exactly where you are coming from. :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:52 pm

I totally get it too Tim....drive it, don’t drive it, look at it, keep it showroom, it all works. It’s your cash so do what the chuff you want with it. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29