Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Twin garage door conversion.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:21 am

pvr wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:17 am As part of the business, we manufactur the smart home equipment for garage doors and gates which some companies provide as an OEM solution now. Some members here have it as well and have seen many doors throughout the years. With the IFTTT functionality you can play Thunderbirds :D

Rollerdoors are as insulated as sectional ones, so that is not a differential. Reason for one over another is generally the head room you have available and the side space for the track. Sectional use 85 mm guides at the sides, with rollerdoors you can get away with slightly less (but takes +/- 300 mm headroom space for the full size slats, or about 200 mm with the thinner slats). I have roller doors in one garage as I am doing the detailing there and want to be able to have the door open without a sectional door blocking all the lights from the ceiling. For another garage I am putting now sectional doors as I don't have the headroom for a rollerdoor either.
Ah ha! That's good info. I have enough space and it'll only be the Z in there so can afford to lose a little bit of headroom. The lighting is a very good point. So in my case, an insulated roller would be the best I reckon. Forget Thunderbirds though, for me it would have to be the Dambusters, but without all the water pouring out :D

In fact, I remember many years back, the very last episode of Z-Cars ended with a roller door lowering at the front of the police station. Now that music would be very apt....................trouble is, no way do I want everyone thinking I'm an Everton fan :poke:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:26 am

I don't know, opening the door triggers a fountain to pour all the water around the garage from the roof with the appropriate music going :lol: Trust you don't have neighbours :D

With the rollerdoors, the noise level is determined by the quality of the slats (they are half rounded). The better the quality, the less the noise. However, the bigger the door - the bigger the noise :)

On a large double door, the bottom slat has to be solid though as otherwise it buckles
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:32 am

I added my own automation to the motor using a Belkin Wemo Maker for £25 (eBay). Means i have a button on the wall, can tell Alexa/Google to open/close the garage and (via IFTTT) a button on my iPhone widget screen. One of the best things i did to the garage!

You have got me thinking about theme music now though......
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:07 am

pvr wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:26 am I don't know, opening the door triggers a fountain to pour all the water around the garage from the roof with the appropriate music going :lol: Trust you don't have neighbours :D
Hmmm, biggest problem could be announcing the code word for breaching the dam!!!! :wink:
(For those not in the know, it was the name of Guy Gibson's dog)

Oh, and as I can't even fart in my own kitchen without the neighbours' dogs yapping for the next half hour, the noisier the door, the better!!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:18 am

pvr wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:26 am I don't know, opening the door triggers a fountain to pour all the water around the garage from the roof with the appropriate music going :lol: Trust you don't have neighbours :D
Hmmm, biggest problem could be announcing the code word for breaching the dam!!!! :wink:
(For those not in the know, it was the name of Guy Gibson's dog)

Oh, and as I can't even fart in my own kitchen without the neighbours' dogs yapping for the next half hour, the noisier the door, the better!!
[/quote]

and to quote a comment from a recent article about the RAF removing a headstone ... black labs matter

Stevo1987

Post by Stevo1987 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:26 am

My neighbours are safe. I don't do early. :D
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:54 am

Interesting thread. I went through this same process a couple of years ago as we have 2 single doors (seperate RSJ's) and I wanted to explore the possibility of just having a single door.

Would have basically doubled the price though unfortunately, so was a non starter.

We went with Securoglide roller doors in the end, with Somfy Rolixo motors/panels/remotes. Slightly scrappy installation, but after a grumpy email all the bits were put right and they've been perfect ever since - must be 4 years now. Absolutely bloody fantastic, I love em to bits.

Edit: our doors are very quiet....
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

SiJar

Post by SiJar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:12 pm

I believe sectional doors are better insulated than roller doors, but I’m no expert.
Z4///MC

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:19 pm

There are fewer gaps in the sectional one, so I would agree with that. The door panels tend to be thicker as well.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:41 pm

Stevo1987 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:18 pm Oh, and when I ht the button to open the new door I want the theme to Thunderbirds to play as the door goes up and I start the engine. Anyone got that working? :roll: :roll: :D :D :D
No but we have been Known we play the Stingray theme, when MrsG puts the roof down on her little Mx5. :D :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:23 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:41 pm
Stevo1987 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:18 pm Oh, and when I ht the button to open the new door I want the theme to Thunderbirds to play as the door goes up and I start the engine. Anyone got that working? :roll: :roll: :D :D :D
No but we have been Known we play the Stingray theme, when MrsG puts the roof down on her little Mx5. :D :thumbsup:
:rofl:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Stevo1987

Post by Stevo1987 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:24 pm

Quote just in - £5585. That is for a sectional door. Seems quite a lot. I don't think I will go ahead. We have been talking about moving, maybe in a year so I am not sure if it worth the outlay. Would it add value to the house? Dunno.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:30 pm

Is that due to the Thunderbirds requirement? :D

Get more quotes though, Corona profiteering means that builders / installation companies have gone loopy with pricing. The gate company that services our gates have just increased their pricing to over £1k per day (+ vat), so I will pass on that one ...

Whether it is worth it - depends on the house. If it is a standard modern house, probably not. Does not increase the value by £5.5k though.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

SiJar

Post by SiJar » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:57 pm

That’s almost identical to mine which I posted earlier at £5,600 for a sectional door so that’s a pretty standard price it appears.
Z4///MC

Stevo1987

Post by Stevo1987 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:38 pm

I am going ahead with this now. I got another quote that was £1500 cheaper. The firm appears to have a good reputation. It won't be until after Christmas though as they have lot of orders on their books. Twin door conversion with Hormann sectional door in a modern colour. I let the wife choose the colour, keep her happy, will go well with the Zed. House move is on hold for a while anyhow.