Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Removal of Statues

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of Statues

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:57 pm

I finally think the world has gone mad after the latest silly notion and petitions for the temoval of 2 statues of Sir Francis Drake in Tavistock and Plymouth because of his links with slavery.

This is a guy who was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe and played a vital role in this countrys victory against the Spanish Armada in 1588, I doubt we would be speaking English today without the likes of people like him.

For me one our national heroes who helped make this country great.

Boils my piss and people should look back and respect this countrys heritage instead of the ignorant bleating by people who don't necessarily understand.

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Removal of Statues

Post by buzyg » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 pm

I'm waiting for some do gooder wazzock to suggest they bulldoze Liverpool waterfront.

IRD

Removal of Statues

Post by IRD » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:31 pm

Many of these demonstrators have pretty weak links to historical slavery. What some have realised, however, is the political power of adopted victimhood. It’s very worrying and divisive but I think we are going to see a lot more of it. :cry:

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of Statues

Post by ben g » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:29 am

Our entire country and empire was built on slavery :lol:

Next they'll be after the pyramids :rofl: I can't believe the government of this country has no backbone to tell these idiots to get over it.

Wah Wah Wah, white privilege etc etc.what a load of rubbish that is aswell. I work with people from all different races/cultures etc and no one has a problem. We're all equal, yet for some reason a minority seem to have a huge chip on their shoulder about things that happened hundreds of years ago and in no way shapes their lives in the current day.

They spray paint racist in Churchills statue, yet refuse to acknowledge the fact that we wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for him. Everyone would be speaking German and have blonde hair and blue eyes.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of Statues

Post by jabber » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:39 am

ben g wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:29 am Our entire country and empire was built on slavery :lol:

Next they'll be after the pyramids :rofl: I can't believe the government of this country has no backbone to tell these idiots to get over it.

Wah Wah Wah, white privilege etc etc.what a load of rubbish that is aswell. I work with people from all different races/cultures etc and no one has a problem. We're all equal, yet for some reason a minority seem to have a huge chip on their shoulder about things that happened hundreds of years ago and in no way shapes their lives in the current day.

They spray paint racist in Churchills statue, yet refuse to acknowledge the fact that we wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for him. Everyone would be speaking German and have blonde hair and blue eyes.
While that may be true there is no doubt that there is racism in this country
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Owdgit

Removal of Statues

Post by Owdgit » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:44 am

jabber wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:39 am
ben g wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:29 am Our entire country and empire was built on slavery :lol:

On all sides, not just the evil white people. Try being a white person walking around some parts of the UK and see the positive discrimination and racism. Damn, I said I wouldn't bite :headbang:
The past is just that, work for the future and stop trying to be victims.
I like to think I'm an optimist.

2010 Grey Z4 E89 N52 3.0 with stuff
2018 VW Arteon 2.0tsi daily workhorse
2020 KTM 1290 Superduke GT

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of Statues

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:54 am

buzyg wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 pm I'm waiting for some do gooder wazzock to suggest they bulldoze Liverpool waterfront.
...and most of the city centre and Sefton Park residences which were built & owned by the shipping merchants. The protestors will have to thank the Nazis for doing a lot of their work for them in WW2.

Unfortunately, I can't express my opinion as I'll just be called a Tommy Robinson supporting white privileged male racist - despite my parents coming from Toxteth & Speke (not what you'd consider middle class or privileged), and having school friends from Jamaica, Trinidad, Thailand, Vietnam, Sierra Leone and Nigeria). But I'm sure someone could also find a racist sugar/banana plantation owner/slavedriver somewhere in the family history - so I must genetically be a racist slaver.

The majority of my (pre-lockdown) office is non-English, and non-white. Yes, there are white European colleagues (Irish, Polish, Greek, Italian, Spanish, etc.), but there are also a lot of 1st/2nd/3rd generation non-white non-Europeans...Indian, Pakistani, Saudi, Egyptian, Nigerian, Kenyan, Moroccan (although I guess some would be called modern-day slaves as they work for big tech outsourcing companies and can only stay in the UK whilst they've got a job).

I've never used a racial slur for anyone from a different race/creed/religion, whether in anger, jest or general parlance (Irish traveller leaving s**t everywhere & ignoring the law is not a race/creed/religion :x ) - if you're a cnt then that's because of something you've done...white, black, brown, pink, beige, trans, bi, cis, etc. doesn't come into it.

But even I am starting to see the solution is to just to offer the disenfranchised a one-way ticket to the country of their heritage - and that includes 2/3rds of me going back to Ireland/Wales and a 3rd staying in England (unless you go back further where I probably need to be sent to France & Scandinavia, or all they way back to the Garden of Eden/source of all humanity in Africa) :P
Last edited by mmm-five on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of Statues

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:08 am

Well I've watched some of the rioting and demos on TV and I have to say it was sometimes difficult to spot anyone other than whites!
Hmmm, I'm bored sat at home for all these weeks, oh is that a bandwagon I see passing by? I'll have some of that!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Removal of Statues

Post by pvr » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:16 am

You are not fixing racism by forcing it down our throat, it has to come from within and via education / behaviour from both sides. This now has a bit the opposite effect as you would not dare to say / do anything anywhere out of "fear" that you would be labeled.

I would like to understand how the majority of black people feel about this, as I am sure that not everyone is happy about being made a victim (or now being treated differently).
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of Statues

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:24 am

I try not to take much notice of any racism row but this does seem to be taking over and you wonder where it will end.
Should the descendants of the people whos statues are being pulled down be stripped of their wealth as it was gotten through links with slavery?

Slavery is not just linked with white people with black slaves either, look at Rome. There was a program on last year at some point that I caught some of it and it was Marvin from JLS looking at his families history. It got to the point where they said that one of his ancestors was a slave and he was upset at this. The ancestor i think managed to buy himself out of slavery, which was great but does this not mean it was a paying job they had rather than being forced to work for nothing, and once out of slavery he had slaves himself!
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of Statues

Post by ben g » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:59 am

jabber wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:39 am

Bore off :lol: racism works both ways. It's not just whites on blacks you know.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of Statues

Post by ben g » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:01 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:08 am Well I've watched some of the rioting and demos on TV and I have to say it was sometimes difficult to spot anyone other than whites!
Hmmm, I'm bored sat at home for all these weeks, oh is that a bandwagon I see passing by? I'll have some of that!
Ah yes, those are the youth of today who feel outrage for someone else. It's something to do with social media and virtue signalling :headbang: complete morons!

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of Statues

Post by ben g » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:03 am

pvr wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:16 am You are not fixing racism by forcing it down our throat, it has to come from within and via education / behaviour from both sides. This now has a bit the opposite effect as you would not dare to say / do anything anywhere out of "fear" that you would be labeled.

I would like to understand how the majority of black people feel about this, as I am sure that not everyone is happy about being made a victim (or now being treated differently).
Working with a black guy now. He's done 40 years service in the company and agrees with us '' whiteys '' completely. It's good that we can have a laugh and a joke together without one of us feeling outraged by it. That's the difference between people who look at eachother as equals and people who act like victims all the time.

We just had a laugh about the Henry Ford statue on the estate being pulled down next :lol: he said he's gonna get his motor tie rope around the head and yank it down! Obviously just a joke (I hope)!

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of Statues

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:53 am

Activists have now drawn up a list of statues they want to removed to include the following
Lord Baden Powell
William Gladstone
Robert Peel
Captain James Cook
Sir Francis Drake
The problem is, where does this stop. Next it will be attacking farms and butchers shops in support of vegans!
And as for police officers kneeling in front of demonstrators, don’t get me started :headbang:
We’re turning into a nation of pussies 🐱

Crazy Harry

Removal of Statues

Post by Crazy Harry » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:14 am

Outrage in Norfolk - Nelson is on the list apparently