Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CV-19 day 44 / light at the end ?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:07 pm

100% it was around well before Christmas. A workmate was on a few different courses of antibiotics to try to clear his illness which had the same symptoms of covid. The doctor never managed to sort it, it just went on its own.

But it wasn't in the media back then, so no one was interested 8)
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 pm

My nephew had the “lurgy” as he called it, around Christmas time. He said at the time that he was suffering the worst bout of ‘flu ever. Several of his colleagues also had it.
The first one to get it in his organisation has a Chinese girlfriend.

Might be a coincidence or might not but I’m prepared to keep an open mind.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:29 pm

It’s a great conspiracy theory...however even the Daily Mail, that well known reference source of Z4 Forum posters was stating in November 2019 that this seasons normal flu virus was going to be a lot more vicious, they quoted 8 times, and peaking much earlier..

I picked up a really vicious bug in late November coming back from Morocco..I was wiped out for most of December..

Several of my friends were similarly afflicted..

Remember there are 100s of variants of the 4 main strains of flu viruses..

Given the earliest known dates suggested for the origin it seems implausible that so many people, hundreds of thousands were effected in the UK so early..plus..even though many people did have really bad attacks, very few died, unlike with COVID-19

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:45 am

Pbondar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:29 pm It’s a great conspiracy theory...however even the Daily Mail, that well known reference source of Z4 Forum posters was stating in November 2019 that this seasons normal flu virus was going to be a lot more vicious, they quoted 8 times, and peaking much earlier..

I picked up a really vicious bug in late November coming back from Morocco..I was wiped out for most of December..

Several of my friends were similarly afflicted..

Remember there are 100s of variants of the 4 main strains of flu viruses..

Given the earliest known dates suggested for the origin it seems implausible that so many people, hundreds of thousands were effected in the UK so early..plus..even though many people did have really bad attacks, very few died, unlike with COVID-19
👋👋
E85 3.0 M54 Titanium Silver. 88k. Cotteswolds.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:25 am

Pbondar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:29 pm Given the earliest known dates suggested for the origin it seems implausible that so many people, hundreds of thousands were effected in the UK so early..plus..even though many people did have really bad attacks, very few died, unlike with COVID-19
Not sure why you think its a "conspiracy theory" :? i think its pretty much been proved people died in 2019 with CV19 present & as with a majority it most likely wasn't the cause of death but was a contributor & id like to know just how you based your theory that "very few died" when the death rate figures of the ONS for the last quarter of 2019 suggest different :wink:

1.Main points
.Death registrations in Quarter 4 2019
In Quarter 4 (Oct to Dec) 2019, there were 129,821 deaths registered in England. This was 8,674 more deaths than Quarter 4 2018 and 6,752 more deaths than the five-year average (2014 to 2018) for this quarter. Of the deaths registered in Quarter 4 2019,

Its also been stressed by the medical experts that many who test positive for CV19 will experience only mild symptoms or even non at all so its more than plausible for forum members to have already had it .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:17 am

As for relaxing restrictions and upbeat bluster from the Govt, I note that the U.K. has risen to second place today.

Deaths per million
Belgium 833.65
United Kingdom 597.51
Spain. 580.6
Italy 556.02

We are also holding second place to the USA with the overall death rates.

As for the light at the end of of the tunnel I think it’s just Govt spin doctor with a torch.

exdos

Post by exdos » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:30 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:17 am As for relaxing restrictions and upbeat bluster from the Govt, I note that the U.K. has risen to second place today.

Deaths per million
Belgium 833.65
United Kingdom 597.51
Spain. 580.6
Italy 556.02

As for the light at the end of of the tunnel I think it’s just Govt spin doctor with a torch.
If 100% of people had properly observed the voluntary Lockdown and maintained the 2 metre distancing rule when out on their daily exercise, then there would've been far fewer new cases within 1 month of Lockdown, and thereafter, with commensurately fewer deaths. Some people started to completely ignore lockdown even before VE Day and since then, more and more people have followed.

There's absolutely no way a UK government of any political persuasion could have enforced a Lockdown without there being civil disobedience of some sort. Our government has simply had to follow the way that an unruly section of Brits have behaved in order to avoid any confrontation with the public in the way that it has materialised in the US.

If there's any blame to to be dished out, blame the public.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:52 pm

They did allow allow two mass gatherings that I can think of !
Cheltenham Horse Racing an Liverpool Football! It’s been accepted this was a mistake and a source of a spread.

They have not got a grip on the situation - it’s Spin!
I do agree that the message has been Ignored - the unruly Brits see the example of Cummings et al.

exdos

Post by exdos » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:59 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:52 pm They did allow allow two mass gatherings that I can think of !
Cheltenham Horse Racing an Liverpool Football! It’s been accepted this was a mistake and a source of a spread.
People already knew of the pandemic before the Cheltenham Festival and Liverpool Football match. True, the government could've prevented those gatherings from taking place, but equally, anyone who did attend had the right and opportunity to stay away. How much nannying does the public need? Is everything now always the government's or someone else's fault?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:01 pm

exdos wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:30 pm
ronk wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:17 am As for relaxing restrictions and upbeat bluster from the Govt, I note that the U.K. has risen to second place today.

Deaths per million
Belgium 833.65
United Kingdom 597.51
Spain. 580.6
Italy 556.02

If 100% of people had properly observed the voluntary Lockdown and maintained the 2 metre distancing rule when out on their daily exercise, then there would've been far fewer new cases within 1 month of Lockdown, and thereafter, with commensurately fewer deaths. Some people started to completely ignore lockdown even before VE Day and since then, more and more people have followed.

There's absolutely no way a UK government of any political persuasion could have enforced a Lockdown without there being civil disobedience of some sort. Our government has simply had to follow the way that an unruly section of Brits have behaved in order to avoid any confrontation with the public in the way that it has materialised in the US.

If there's any blame to to be dished out, blame the public.
I could not agree more Exdos, lack of plain old common sense yet again. The govt’ are screwed, devil they do devil they don’t. What Ive found glaringly obvious in all of this is people seem to need to be told how to put one foot in front of the other, then when they’re told they go and do something completely different, then they start complaining about the outcome of that and blaming the govt’. There is only so much anyone can do, at some point people have to use some common and I’m afraid there is very little of that in many walks of life. I include some members of said govt’ in that too. But when you’re dealing with the level of utter stupidity of, I’m afraid, a LOT of people in this country you’re going round in circles.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:07 pm

Of course if 100% of people had observed the lockdown deaths would have been lower but I don't think you can primarily pin the UK's awful record on the public. The vast majority of people adhered to the guidance or at least until the government lost credibility. Of course there were idiots who chose to do different but they were a minority. I think there are 3 much bigger factors at play:

1. We were very late to implement lockdown measures v almost every other developed country. The government did not take it seriously early enough
2. The care home sector strategy and management was a huge failure - they were not shielded at the time they most needed it.
3. Our testing/PPE capability at the start was hugely inadequate (despite being told that we were better prepared than any country in the world)

The government is firmly in the frame for all of these although it might be conceded that our testing capability was a more long standing problem. The one thing they did get right was the economic measures introduced so rapidly and which undoubtedly improved the level of compliance with the stay at home messaging. Lessons have to be learnt because we could have done much, much better and our government is supposed to take the lead in protecting us - that's not a nanny state, that's their prime role.
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:36 pm

I’ve certainly observed the regs any I guess did most others. Idiots did ignore the rules but not many fines issued!

The big sporting events allowed at the start were a mistake by the Govt - they missed an opportunity tö stop super spreading events. I think most would have accepted that.

Im afraid the Govt had its eye on other things when all this started and did not treat it seriously.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:56 pm

Opinions and arguments will go on forever fine, but on a slightly different topic one thing I have found to be utterly appalling is the constant and vicious vitriol by the press at every opportunity seemingly led unashamedly by the BBC. Instead of this country sticking together in unprecedented times not seen before in the modern era these gutter crawling shits are hell bent on ripping this country apart in the name of reporting journalism and headlines. Of course we need to know what’s happening and there’s nothing wrong with disagreeing if needed but there really is no need for such vitriol, the manner in which the press go for the jugular is quite frankly revolting.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:49 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:56 pm Opinions and arguments will go on forever fine, but on a slightly different topic one thing I have found to be utterly appalling is the constant and vicious vitriol by the press at every opportunity seemingly led unashamedly by the BBC. Instead of this country sticking together in unprecedented times not seen before in the modern era these gutter crawling shits are hell bent on ripping this country apart in the name of reporting journalism and headlines. Of course we need to know what’s happening and there’s nothing wrong with disagreeing if needed but there really is no need for such vitriol, the manner in which the press go for the jugular is quite frankly revolting.
Surely the press report matters fairly & without bias John? :roll:
F8794F1B-55A1-4680-94A9-6548D9501280.jpeg
F8794F1B-55A1-4680-94A9-6548D9501280.jpeg (176.68 KiB) Viewed 560 times
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:06 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:01 pm I could not agree more Exdos, lack of plain old common sense yet again. The govt’ are screwed, devil they do devil they don’t. What Ive found glaringly obvious in all of this is people seem to need to be told how to put one foot in front of the other, then when they’re told they go and do something completely different, then they start complaining about the outcome of that and blaming the govt’. There is only so much anyone can do, at some point people have to use some common and I’m afraid there is very little of that in many walks of life. I include some members of said govt’ in that too. But when you’re dealing with the level of utter stupidity of, I’m afraid, a LOT of people in this country you’re going round in circles.
...absolutely spot on. Well said. It's like half the population are some kind of dumb robots that have no clue how to behave unless they are told exactly how to. It's because of this demographic that we all have to suffer unfortunately.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.