Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Self employed help from government

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:42 am

New legislation in effect, got sent this by a client.....

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/b ... 14-18.html

Should take some cash worry off us that are self employed/ freelance.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 am

Its only right & isn't like its a gift that we shouldn't receive .
A welcome relief when it does get officially announced hopefully later today .
My current contract is on a remote caravan club site in the north lakes , just myself & two groundworkers ( 300 yards away from me)
I could have gone today & not seen or spoke to anyone but i haven't , a neighbour opposite is a shuttering carpenter who forms concrete footings , currently on a job in Manchester centre , he's gone & his attitude talking to him at weekend was " i'l be going until they force me to stay away or help me out financially " i do see his point of course :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:23 am

Looks like this is a proposed amendment rather that part of the bill. Remains to be seen if the gov adopt it.

The issue, I believe is less about the money, and more about how to pay people. The gov machine is set up to collect money at scale from individuals, not pay it out, so there isn’t the infrastructure in place for applications, processing, checking and validating and then paying these amounts.

It’s diff for business as a) mechanisms for paying businesses exist (vat rebates) and b) the volume of payments are much smaller (you pay 1 business instead of 200 staff).

I suspect there will be an announcement on support once they figure out how the hell the process and pay the self employed (which I am one of).
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:31 am

Will be interesting ... if you are "deemed" IR35, then you are not self employed so you would lose out because of that.

On the other side, if you do receive the payment, you might have a better case for IR35 fights as you are now classed as self employed :?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:54 am

Just spoke to our accountant, nothing officially sent out yet.. apart from tax due on account in July is deferred until Jan 2021. What will be the question, though, is that the july tax on account payment, be added to the normal payment in January... most probably.

Also, there’s loads of self employed who do cash jobs, cabbies, window cleaners are notorious... I’m not saying it’s wrong, but If they, and their like, haven’t declared their full income over the last 3 years, then they’ve shot themselves in the foot.but only for the short term. I moan about card machine rental costs and percentages on payments, especially credit cards....but I’ll be glad if it’s based on 80% of net income...it’ll save our business, but it’s what we are due anyway!
Ducati Supersport S

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:20 pm

I won’t get anything, after being on 24/7 oxygen for a couple of years after a heart op complication and laid up I don’t have any recent accounts so I’m stuffed. Great. Shafted twice now. :x
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Can’t you claim disability, John?
Ducati Supersport S

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:32 pm

1000rr wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 pm Can’t you claim disability, John?
No we’ve got too much equity in the house, some savings and no mortgage so that’s that. It’s come from hard work but Tbh I shouldn’t grumble as I’m not on the bread line. Silly posting really, knee jerk reaction.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:46 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:32 pm
No we’ve got too much equity in the house, some savings and no mortgage so that’s that. It’s come from hard work but Tbh I shouldn’t grumble as I’m not on the bread line. Silly posting really, knee jerk reaction.
That still isn’t right, dude. You’ve paid into the system to where you’ve got to now... there’s a woman who rents a flat above our premises in work... 2 holidays a year, always in the pub... gets loads of home deliveries and hasn’t worked in years. She said she’s registered as epileptic, but hasn’t had an episode in 10 years. She smokes 20fags a day, has gatherings in the garden with tinnies and vodka throughout the summer... She gets more in dodgy benefits than I will in this crises by 5x the amount... free rent, bills.the sodding lot..and I’ve never had a sick day in 35years...

The system needs to change, dude. It’s the systems fault mate, not ours. If the system allows them to collect free money, then of course they’ll go for it. :headbang: :x
Ducati Supersport S

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:55 pm

1000rr wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:46 pm
That still isn’t right, dude. You’ve paid into the system to where you’ve got to now... there’s a woman who rents a flat above our premises in work... 2 holidays a year, always in the pub... gets loads of home deliveries and hasn’t worked in years. She said she’s registered as epileptic, but hasn’t had an episode in 10 years. She smokes 20fags a day, has gatherings in the garden with tinnies and vodka throughout the summer... She gets more in dodgy benefits than I will in this crises by 5x the amount... free rent, bills.the sodding lot..and I’ve never had a sick day in 35years...

The system needs to change, dude. It’s the systems fault mate, not ours. If the system allows them to collect free money, then of course they’ll go for it. :headbang: :x
Yeah I agree 100%, the reason I posted really. I’ve never had a bean from the state apart from having to sign on for 6 months to qualify for the now defunct manpower’s self employment scheme in the 80’s, i was still working but HAD to sign on for the scheme, not because I wanted to. Apart from that nothing but paying in my dues so yes you’re quite right. 4 years off after being wrongly diagnosed then a complication in the op is a bit of a kick in the teeth when you get the scroungers you’ve described but nothing I can do, they pretty much laughed at me when I enquired a few years ago..!
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

AnilS

Post by AnilS » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:28 pm

My situation is odd.

Full time and permanent in 3 roles up until June last year.

Then In August 2019, I decided to go interim and worked for 6 months as a contractor/freelance, outside IR35. The contract ended this January. I haven't worked since but I did have interviews lined up recently, that are now down the pan.

So I haven't self-employed accounts for 3 years. I doubt I'd get anything.
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:01 pm

AnilS, you can always try.

Our business pays for 2 mortgages, staff, rates on the business and at home, 3 lots of utility bills, one each for me and my business partner and one for work.. liability insurances, rubbish removal... the list goes on. We are insured to the hilt, business insurance, business interruption ... and guess what? They don’t cover pandemics :headbang: so, we will be renewing policy to contents and building cover only, and the liabilities.. no point in having any other miscellaneous cover, as it’s not witty the paper it’s written on. £200 a mth for 13 years we’ve been paying, and never made a claim, and we can’t now. :headbang:

We used to rent the business property, but ended up buying it .. our home properties where used for security.

If all we get is £90 odd quid a week, then we are fooked. We have savings in the business account, just in case. It will see us through for a round 4 months, but that is for bills, and pre profit wages.

:?
Ducati Supersport S

AnilS

Post by AnilS » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:28 pm

Thank you Sir.

I'll look into it. Might even email my account. All this kind of stuff is new to me :wink:
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:00 am

1000rr wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:46 pm

Very very true,if its offered some will take advantage.
If its not offered then other provisions they will have to make ,like for example Working for a living.
Most people could do something that would add value but too many do jack s**t,sorry rant over
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

baconJazz

Post by baconJazz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:54 am

I work (worked) in the cruise line industry for an American company and have lost thousands from a cancelled 4 month contract. My pay was routed through the Jersey banking system in pound sterling . I have no idea where I stand with all this . Can't find any info at all . :headbang:
2007 3.0si sport e86 coupe Black Sapphire 93k and rising at approx 2k a year.

Mazda mx5 mk3
Fiesta ST
Subaru WRX Blob eye
Mini Cooper S JCW
Mx5 mk1
Ford Puma.
Opel Manta GTE (1984)
Mk 1 Ford Capri 1.6 GT (1973)
Austin Maxi 1750 HL (269 BC)