Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Self employed help from government

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
AnilS

Post by AnilS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm

Announcement of help tomorrow for the self employed. :thumbsup:
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:32 pm

AnilS wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm Announcement of help tomorrow for the self employed. :thumbsup:
Will be watching this closely , when first announced they were intending to help the self employed i wrongly assumed it would be rolled out in a similar fashion to the employed but the longer its taken & the more snippets you read my guess is its likely to sound great but actually only be of use to a minimal number who can meet a stricter criteria than applied to direct labour :wink: grossly unfair if that's the case but let's wait & see .
Ive been a tory since leaving school under Thatcher & i was a big Boris fan but i'm not a mug & if things aren't played straight then the government can have no real argument should the self employed who feel aggrieved return to their line of work & earn what funds they deem necessary to get through :(
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:52 am

Well id have to say the governments arm seems to have gone around a majority of self employed :) ok he laced it with a sour touch by saying that once its all over the self employed will have to give up the usual "benefits" of what they claim back :wink: we will see :oops:
Hope the other forum members looking for assistance qualify under the scheme & above all hope the return to work is sooner than later but for now i'm seeing it as being paid by the government to stay home - stay safe & do the gardening , walk the dogs , some diy & polish the cars :oops:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:10 am

127C9454-0F20-431B-BC4A-9B38930DE9FE.jpeg
127C9454-0F20-431B-BC4A-9B38930DE9FE.jpeg (87.5 KiB) Viewed 615 times
:D :D
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:12 am

The business secretary made a bit of a hash of it this morning when asked when someone has a 60k profit, they get nothing, if they earned 50k they get support.

The argument he made was that someone making a 60k profit would have had a turnover of 200k. Now what has that got to do with anything.

The question was clear - if someone has no income at all now, why does the former turnover matter.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:53 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:12 am The business secretary made a bit of a hash of it this morning when asked when someone has a 60k profit, they get nothing, if they earned 50k they get support.

The argument he made was that someone making a 60k profit would have had a turnover of 200k. Now what has that got to do with anything.

The question was clear - if someone has no income at all now, why does the former turnover matter.
[/quote

I guess the reasoning is, if those sums were being earned they expect those people to have more money behind them/banked/under the bed to tide them over? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun May 10, 2020 9:22 am

For those who qualify for this scheme share your thoughts , i'm one & can't quite believe how they are setting this scheme up .
I filled in the first stage online Friday with Ni & UTR numbers , pinged up "YES you are eligible to claim your universal credit grant " from the 13th May , i only took a month out so in my mind a month is all i should claim for but when i clicked on "how we will work out your grant" it became clear that won't be a option .
Now at this point i'm thinking the government is either playing this very clever or very stupid , i'm still not sure on that :wink:
What it said was at the next stage they will have worked out what 80% of my profit equates to based on my last 3 years returns & this sum will be paid in 1 payment to cover a 3 month period :o so effectively if i claimed id receive 3 times the figure i would have asked for ( approx £6k as opposed to £2k so not insignificant sums )
In the smaller print it also stated " to make the claim you will need to prove your business has been adversely affected by Covid-19 " :? so here's the clever or dumb part :wink: have they trumpeted the scheme at the beginning knowing at the end not everyone eligible will claim or are they simplifying things as they haven't the staff or systems to offer bespoke claims ? .

Perhaps i'm a fortunate ( or foolish) one here , after being self employed 30yrs i learnt early on to have at least a years money put by for worse case scenarios so i have sufficient savings to pay myself therefore technically my business has not been directly affected .
Lastly & obviously i agree with this part they state that the following years accounts the payment will need to be declared as income & therefore have tax & ni taken .
So i won't be continuing any further in my claim for any "grant" which is a little annoying as its clear the bad bit going forward is that rates of tax & ni for the self employed will be rising to cover these "grants" yet not everyone will have enjoyed the good bit :( .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 am

The rates will be going up for everyone...

Yes, it’s taxable and you pay NI on it, same with any income.

Claim it mate, you’re entitled to it.
Ducati Supersport S

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun May 10, 2020 10:10 am

1000rr wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 am The rates will be going up for everyone...

Call me a cynic but as its being done through the universal credit system i have a suspicion it could be "means tested" at the next stage in the process , how would i prove my business has been affected ?
I'm a sub contractor , i only lost a months income & had funds to support myself so if it does go down the means tested route i'l not be eligible .
Will have to see how it goes , i have colleagues who are lined up ready to press the buttons on the 13th May so i'l watch & wait .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun May 10, 2020 10:14 am

mr wilks wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:22 am For those who qualify for this scheme share your thoughts , i'm one & can't quite believe how they are setting this scheme up .
I filled in the first stage online Friday with Ni & UTR numbers , pinged up "YES you are eligible to claim your universal credit grant " from the 13th May , i only took a month out so in my mind a month is all i should claim for but when i clicked on "how we will work out your grant" it became clear that won't be a option .
Now at this point i'm thinking the government is either playing this very clever or very stupid , i'm still not sure on that :wink:
What it said was at the next stage they will have worked out what 80% of my profit equates to based on my last 3 years returns & this sum will be paid in 1 payment to cover a 3 month period :o so effectively if i claimed id receive 3 times the figure i would have asked for ( approx £6k as opposed to £2k so not insignificant sums )
In the smaller print it also stated " to make the claim you will need to prove your business has been adversely affected by Covid-19 " :? so here's the clever or dumb part :wink: have they trumpeted the scheme at the beginning knowing at the end not everyone eligible will claim or are they simplifying things as they haven't the staff or systems to offer bespoke claims ? .

Perhaps i'm a fortunate ( or foolish) one here , after being self employed 30yrs i learnt early on to have at least a years money put by for worse case scenarios so i have sufficient savings to pay myself therefore technically my business has not been directly affected .
Lastly & obviously i agree with this part they state that the following years accounts the payment will need to be declared as income & therefore have tax & ni taken .
So i won't be continuing any further in my claim for any "grant" which is a little annoying as its clear the bad bit going forward is that rates of tax & ni for the self employed will be rising to cover these "grants" yet not everyone will have enjoyed the good bit :( .
I'm in the same situation as you and put my details in and I can start my claim from the 15th May. For me being a self employed joiner it's been hard for me to get materials, I can't just go and select timber and suchlike. Kitchen and bathroom supplies closed for a while making it hard work, also my customers don't want me in their houses and to be fair I don't want to be going here there and everywhere to limit my chances of contracting Covid 19. Luckily I like you don't spend all I earn and can support my lifestyle for a good while on savings. So despite me surviving I will be putting my claim in to use it as and earning as if I had been able to work.
The only thing thats confusing me is that your not making your claim, it would be just like earning say more money on a few jobs so we just pay the extra tax & ni. Am I right in thinking that you won't make your claim because it will affect the Tax rate increase which will be inevitable for them to get some of this money back ? I believe that Taxes will increase for everyone in the next budget.
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun May 10, 2020 10:23 am

mr wilks wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:10 am
1000rr wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 am The rates will be going up for everyone...

Call me a cynic but as its being done through the universal credit system i have a suspicion it could be "means tested" at the next stage in the process , how would i prove my business has been affected ?
I'm a sub contractor , i only lost a months income & had funds to support myself so if it does go down the means tested route i'l not be eligible .
Will have to see how it goes , i have colleagues who are lined up ready to press the buttons on the 13th May so i'l watch & wait .
I was led to believe by Martin Lewis that the self employed could still work if possible and make the full claim at the same time. It was to supplement your wages in case you was affected and could or could not work still.
2009 35i DCT silver

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun May 10, 2020 10:34 am

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:23 am

I was led to believe by Martin Lewis that the self employed could still work if possible and make the full claim at the same time. It was to supplement your wages in case you was affected and could or could not work still.
I get all that but ultimately id be receiving circa £6k for what feels like i don't need & shouldn't be taking when i'm only down a months pay .
Concerned down the line if asked that i would struggle to prove how my business has been adversely affected over the CV period as although income for 4 weeks was zero i had funds to draw on .
Predominantly my work is sub contract to a large company , invoiced weekly , paid weekly i could have worked the whole time but when Boris made the big statement on the 23rd it sounded like the whole country was required to stay home where possible so i did that for 4 weeks before returning to site where i've been the last 3 weeks .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun May 10, 2020 10:46 am

mr wilks wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:34 am
Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:23 am

I get all that but ultimately id be receiving circa £6k for what feels like i don't need & shouldn't be taking when i'm only down a months pay .
Concerned down the line if asked that i would struggle to prove how my business has been adversely affected over the CV period as although income for 4 weeks was zero i had funds to draw on .
Predominantly my work is sub contract to a large company , invoiced weekly , paid weekly i could have worked the whole time but when Boris made the big statement on the 23rd it sounded like the whole country was required to stay home where possible so i did that for 4 weeks before returning to site where i've been the last 3 weeks .
I commend your honesty then sir.
:thumbsup:
Last edited by Jollyjoiner on Sun May 10, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 35i DCT silver

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Sun May 10, 2020 11:00 am

It’s not means tested... our account said it’s available for everyone that has tax returns for previous years. It’s all on file what you’ve paid in taxes and the only thing they asssk is that you’ll be trading next year. We have business savings, and that has kept us going the past 3 months, paid mortgages and running of our business property. The business savings we had have already been taxed on in Jan, so that was previous earnings, not earnings that have been lost since.
Ducati Supersport S

GM1

Post by GM1 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:53 pm

My thoughts for what they are worth is to take the money.

I am a sole trader in the building trade and have not worked since we were asked to "stay home and save lives" as I believe it is the right thing to do.

I immediately cancelled a number of jobs and a few cancelled on me, I am fortunate enough to be able to support myself through this period and have thought about not claiming the allowance. However, its not just about the loss of earnings over the past couple of months as I can deal with that. It is about the rest of the year, I think for me personally the rest of the year will be a bit of a write off as I think many people are going to be reluctant to want trades people coming into there homes. I think every trades person is going to take a big hit this year, so if Rishi is happy to give me a few quid to ease that I will take it.

With regards my business being affected, most builders merchants have been closed and the producer of the main product I use stopped manufacturing. So pretty stuffed really.

I was also under the impression that when the announcement was first made they stated you could continue working and claim the grant.

G