Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Virus worries

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Virus worries

Post by Nictrix » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:15 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:03 pm
greg81 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:36 am Biggest trouble is everyone hears little snippets from the media and grasps on to them. It's like a duck on the water. Looks all peaceful to us but under the water it's legs are going crazy
Welcome to social media and the data age where everyone's an expert and everyone's concerned with how they; and they alone are impacted. Just because it appears on screen in social media doesn't make it right or even true.

Close schools (and that was my expert field for the best part of 40 years) and you take out around 25% of the workforce for child care - just look at the kick back for snow closures and teacher strike days. Of course we could always ask one of the vulnerable groups (grandparents) to child mind!

The longer the population works the longer the lights stay on; petrol and food get to supermarkets and those who are well enough can carry on working. In the end I guess almost all of us will need to catch it to prevent it returning as another epidemic. First thing I'd do is turn off the internet :lol:
Also if you close the schools where do you think most of the kids will go?
Not everyone will go and sit in the house with granny, most teenagers will be hanging around in shopping centres (if they are still open) wiping their grubby snot and pee soaked hands everywhere.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Virus worries

Post by TitanTim » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:25 pm

Well I'm not worrying as I'm singing "God Save the Queen" everytime I wash me hands :thumbsup:

Whats the problem?

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Virus worries

Post by buzyg » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:09 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:25 pm Well I'm not worrying as I'm singing "God Save the Queen" everytime I wash me hands :thumbsup:

Whats the problem?

Tim.
Problem is the virus ain't listening. :)

scootr

Virus worries

Post by scootr » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:38 pm

I understand we are slowing the spread of the virus to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed here.
There are just not facilities for everybody to get sick at once.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Virus worries

Post by TitanTim » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:55 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:09 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:25 pm Well I'm not worrying as I'm singing "God Save the Queen" everytime I wash me hands :thumbsup:

Whats the problem?

Tim.
Alternatively I'll follow the Governments Plan B and sing Happy Birthday :thumbsup:

Tim.

greg81

Virus worries

Post by greg81 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Whats the problem?

Tim.
Certainly not to God Save The Queen

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Virus worries

Post by TitanTim » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:14 pm

greg81 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Whats the problem?

Tim.
Certainly not to God Save The Queen
The Italians are singing Opera to one another so maybe that's where were going wrong :?

Tim.

z4pilot

Virus worries

Post by z4pilot » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:31 pm

scootr wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:38 pm I understand we are slowing the spread of the virus to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed here.
There are just not facilities for everybody to get sick at once.
Yep - some people are still hung up on trying to avoid catching the virus. We've gone past that phase now - the idea is to slow the progress so that the virus moves through the population at a slow enough rate that the healthcare systems can cope with caring for those that have a particularly adverse reaction to the virus. The sooner we achieve herd immunity, the better for all. I fully support the UK stance on this. Click bait journalism, whipping up panic is unhelpful and irresponsible. Whatever happened to 'Keep calm and carry on' ?
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

greg81

Virus worries

Post by greg81 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:35 pm

To prevent the spread of germs, people who need to sneeze are advised to do so into their upper arm. People have instead, started stock piling toilet paper. This confirms the long standing belief that too many people don't know their arse from their elbow...

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Virus worries

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:38 pm

greg81 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 pm
ronk wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 pm
greg81 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:42 pm I must admit I'm partial to a little Buckfast every now and then :)
I have to admit after all my travels over Hadrians wall that I've never tried it!
Plenty Haggis. tatties and neeps - but no Buckfast ! (Yet :rofl: )
get yourself a "hawf boattle" First perfectly into your back pocket :rofl:
I worked in a pub in Glasgow where it was on the gantry, classy establishment :cheers: hawf boattle perfect for getting into football and music events, worked as a door/event staff too in my younger days

@ronk don’t, it’s howling :cpilot: :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Virus worries

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:52 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:59 pm My wife isn’t 72.

She is on oral Chemotherapy though and despite all odds, still working....as a community nurse.....

We’re very concerned, although yesterday her boss told her to work from home doing paperwork with no patient contact.
    I’m on immuno suppressants for a existing medical conditions. I work in school(s) but I don’t have a huge amount of pupil/staff interaction.

Got a phone call from my consultant yesterday to say consider working from home now, which I can do with my job, and when first case is confirmed in the area, it’s not an option I’ve to work at home to try and minimise my risk as much as possible. I’m going with his advice as he knows what’s best for me medically

Oh and I’m 51 not 72 :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

greg81

Virus worries

Post by greg81 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:01 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:38 pm
      greg81 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 pm
      ronk wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 pm I have to admit after all my travels over Hadrians wall that I've never tried it!
      Plenty Haggis. tatties and neeps - but no Buckfast ! (Yet :rofl: )
      get yourself a "hawf boattle" First perfectly into your back pocket :rofl:
      I worked in a pub in Glasgow where it was on the gantry, classy establishment :cheers: hawf boattle perfect for getting into football and music events, worked as a door/event staff too in my younger days

@ronk don’t, it’s howling :cpilot: :rofl:
      Wasn't Nice and Sleazy was it?

ben g
      Lifer
      Lifer

Virus worries

Post by ben g » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:06 pm

My work have told all office staff who work from a computer to work from home starting Monday.

Us production workers, the ones who actually earn the company money, still have to go in for the foreseeable.

It's funny how it's not 'One Ford' when the s**t hits the fan :lol: I'm still off on parental leave anyway, so it has no affect on me until after next week!
      Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

BeeEmm

Virus worries

Post by BeeEmm » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:17 pm

greg81 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:35 pm To prevent the spread of germs, people who need to sneeze are advised to do so into their upper arm. People have instead, started stock piling toilet paper. This confirms the long standing belief that too many people don't know their arse from their elbow...
      :rofl:
      z4pilot wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:31 pm Yep - some people are still hung up on trying to avoid catching the virus. We've gone past that phase now - the idea is to slow the progress so that the virus moves through the population at a slow enough rate that the healthcare systems can cope with caring for those that have a particularly adverse reaction to the virus. The sooner we achieve herd immunity, the better for all. I fully support the UK stance on this. Click bait journalism, whipping up panic is unhelpful and irresponsible. Whatever happened to 'Keep calm and carry on' ?
      + 1
      I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

TitanTim
      Lifer
      Lifer

Virus worries

Post by TitanTim » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:41 pm

I think there is going to be alot of small businesses going down the pan within the next 4 to 6 weeks who rely on daily custom, cafes, hotels, hospitality etc, can't see how they will be able to survive without financial help if everyone starts staying at home. If British Airways are saying they could potentially fold it's certainly an eye opener. I don't know what assistance the Government are going to provide if any.

I'm glad I'm not a carer for anyone now but can sympathize with people who are worrying about who will look after their loved ones if they get the virus and have to self isolate. So many knock on effects.

I'm hoping it won't be as bad as it's being made out to be :cry:

Tim.