Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear extension permitted development question

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Mavster

Post by Mavster » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:10 pm

Any builders out there ?

We are looking at a house to buy which has a rear extension done without planning permission but under the permitted development rule.

There were no plans submitted to the council for the work but the size of extension is quite big. I am sure it is within the size allowed.....but how do I find out if the work was done in line with building control guidelines and not just on the cheap ? Would the council still have inspected it at different stages for compliance purposes ?

Anyone help clarify the process please ?

Cheers

Steve
E89 35iS

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:38 pm

Hopefully someone in the trade can help, but one thing we learnt from having been through this process a couple of times was that window installations are self-certified and you can search here to see if there is a certificate: https://www.fensa.org.uk/fensa-certificate

I'd check that the extension dimensions conform to Permitted Development guidelines first, otherwise you've got bigger issues! Your local council may have done the building control work so you can check with them to see if they have a completion certificate (or better still, get your solicitor to do it as part of their standard scope).

Another thing we learnt was that in the absence of a completion certificate, it might be suggested that indemnity insurance is obtained. You'll have to read about this yourself and see whether you think it's something worth pursuing. On one hand, it's cheap (£150-£200) and usually satisfies all involved parties. On the other, it's only really needed if action taken because the building is unsafe and wouldn't be useful in any future situation involving day-to-day gripes with the way the thing was put together. In many cases, transferrable warranties for things like windows, weather/damp proofing etc will be more useful. Getting a decent survey done by someone with a good reputation might also be more worthwhile than putting the time/effort into finding a certificate that isn't immediately forthcoming.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:49 pm

The sellers will, or should have, a certificate of the extension signed off by building control, if not then as MR PT says indemnity Insurance is a very good idea, nay, essential to have unless the extension is older than a given period. After that period the extension doesn’t require anything. For example it’s 21 years where I live. How it’s been built if there’s nothing is another question, again quite rightly as above a structural survey is needed if you’re not confident at what you’re looking for yourself, although your mortgage will require one as you probably know.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Mavster

Post by Mavster » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:45 am

Thanks for the info guys. Will speak with building control and get the low down.
E89 35iS

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Your local building control dept should be able to help. It should be flagged up by your solicitors when they do searches.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981