Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What does 300+mph in a road car look like?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:00 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:28 pm What kind of penalty do you think you would get for 300mph in a 30mph zone? Why has nobody asked this question? Surely it’s the first thing you would try if you owned such a machine!
Have you been drinking :lol:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am

ben g wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:21 pm It's obvious they will sell this as a Supersport version.
But still thats anticipating the facts. As long as this is not a production car that you can buy, Koenigsegg still has the record for the fastest production car.

I also wonder, IF Bugatti is going to sell this car in the future as the Supersport, then why not wait that little bit and actually set a record with an actual production car?

My guess is that they don't / can't wait that long because the Jesko then might have hit the market and Bugatti is probably afraid it'll set a record they can't possibly beat (like what the Agera RS did in the past), so they go ahead now with this cobbled together prototype. So Bugatti hit 300mph, but its not an official record, as this is a prototype.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:30 am

GuidoK wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am
ben g wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:21 pm It's obvious they will sell this as a Supersport version.
But still thats anticipating the facts. As long as this is not a production car that you can buy, Koenigsegg still has the record for the fastest production car.

I also wonder, IF Bugatti is going to sell this car in the future as the Supersport, then why not wait that little bit and actually set a record with an actual production car?

My guess is that they don't / can't wait that long because the Jesko then might have hit the market and Bugatti is probably afraid it'll set a record they can't possibly beat (like what the Agera RS did in the past), so they go ahead now with this cobbled together prototype. So Bugatti hit 300mph, but its not an official record, as this is a prototype.
Do you really care though? They did 304mph in a car and that's all I care about. Not whether it made it into the Guiness book of records.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:58 am

Of course I care
Do you care about the thrust ssc team doing over 750mph over 2 decades ago?

You're saying a record is set in your TS:
ben g wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:27 pm Another record set!
But what record exactly?
Now that it turns out that no record has been set at all you suddenly dont care about records anymore?
Turned your opinion 180 degrees in a few days? Not that I mind, you have the right to do that, just as I have the right to notice it.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:06 pm

GuidoK wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:58 am Of course I care

But what record exactly?
Now that it turns out that no record has been set at all you suddenly dont care about records anymore?
Turned your opinion 180 degrees in a few days? Not that I mind, you have the right to do that, just as I have the right to notice it.
_20190905_170455.JPG
_20190905_170455.JPG (89.89 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Research is key....

You're a very argumentative person, aren't you?
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:07 pm

https://www.motor1.com/news/368889/buga ... planation/
GuidoK wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am

Speaking of 180 degree turn arounds. Take a read of your first post and compare it to this one. Just a thought.

Any way never one to argue once in possession of a few good headlines take a read hear.

https://www.motor1.com/news/368889/buga ... planation/

Confirms what you are saying. Basically it is not a official Guiness World record.

Still it grabbed those headlines. So Bugatti are happy. :D :thumbsup:
Last edited by buzyg on Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:10 pm

ben g wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:06 pm

But what record exactly?
_20190905_170455.JPG

Research is key....

So it's a German record, but not an official Guiness Word Record. Which is the one that matters, if I am honest. :wink:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Research is key....

Doesn't mean its a record.
It's not a production car. To be that, at least 25 must have been sold on 2 continents.
Question is if its even road legal.

Also hasn't run 2 ways. You have to do that in a specific time, due to wind. If, say you have a 20mph tailwind, your top speed is going to be 20mph higher. Therefore you have to run the same stretch in the opposite direction within a certain timespan to really record the cars performance.
And Tüv plays no part in setting the rules for a record BTW.

Here an interesting reaction on instagram that precisely explains what you have to do to apply for the record:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B19QH1TI_sn ... e=ig_embed

So yes, research is definately key :thumbsup:

The only record set is bugatti's own. They made a prototype car that is faster than their previous ones, that can hit 300mph under certain cirumstances. For what thats worth.

BTW the FIRST petrol driven combustion engine non production car that hit 300mph was the Campbell-Railton Blue Bird.
On 3 September 1935.
buzyg wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:07 pm
Speaking of 180 degree turn arounds. Take a read of your first post and compare it to this one. Just a thought.
Why is that 180 degree around?
the koenigsegg record was technically not set by koenigsegg as a company. It was set by a customer of koenigsegg. He bought the car and asked koenigsegg if they would lend them their testdriver to go and race on a closed public road in the US. So koenigsegg assisted, but it wasn't their car anymore. They build it of course, but one of their customers had it raced.
Last edited by GuidoK on Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:30 pm

buzyg wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:10 pm

You're saying a record is set in your TS: But what record exactly?
_20190905_170455.JPG

Research is key....

So it's a German record, but not an official Guiness Word Record. Which is the one that matters, if I am honest. :wink:
A record is a record to me :thumbsup: I don't need some pleb with a certificate and a hardback book to tell me whether it is or isn't :P :thumbsup:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:42 pm

That book is probably too complicated anyways eh?
All words no pictures etc :lol:

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:57 pm

GuidoK wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:42 pm That book is probably too complicated anyways eh?
All words no pictures etc :lol:
You seem like a man who enjoys his own company :roll: boring boring boring.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Even at 300 mph I bet the bastards still more economical than a modest sized boats 3.0 engine.... :roll:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:35 pm

GuidoK wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:23 pm
buzyg wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:07 pm
Why is that 180 degree around?
the koenigsegg record was technically not set by koenigsegg as a company. It was set by a customer of koenigsegg. He bought the car and asked koenigsegg if they would lend them their testdriver to go and race on a closed public road in the US. So koenigsegg assisted, but it wasn't their car anymore. They build it of course, but one of their customers had it raced.
It was the bit about the tyres being the limiting factor. If you believe that to be the case, in your first post, then the Jesko is not going to beat the record, per your later post. :P :wink:

Not going to fall out over it. Just calling a spade a spade. To try and ballance the debate :D

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:13 pm

buzyg wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:35 pm
It was the bit about the tyres being the limiting factor. If you believe that to be the case, in your first post, then the Jesko is not going to beat the record, per your later post. :P :wink:
Not safely beating the record. :D

The story goes that, with the record set by the agera RS, that koenigsegg (as a company) felt that it was unsafe to drive those speeds on the tyres (probably because the tyre manufacturer wouldnt guarantee it). But that they had a client that wanted to try and set the record anyways. So they also asked their test driver if he was ok with the speeds and the record attempt and he said yes.
So koenigsegg, as a company, didnt set the record. They build the car, sold it, assisted with the attempt, loaned out their test driver etc.
And I have a feeling that it'll go that way too with the jesko. My guess is that if a person can afford 1 koenigsegg, he probably also can afford the 2nd one.
Or maybe koenigsegg has achieved better relations with a tyre manufacturer and can get them so far that they will make the tyres for them that can safely reach those speeds, I dont know.
But I think thats why you're a bit confused with my posts.

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:27 pm

The hell happened to this thread? :rofl:
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>