Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Private PCN rant/advice?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ihadablackdog

Private PCN rant/advice?

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:51 pm

My wife has received a PCN from a private parking company because she stopped on a bit of land (the access way to the car park) temporarily to attend to our dog who was having an epileptic seizure. She then proceeded to the car park and paid for the normal parking ticket.

This was in July and the notice received in August (it is an ANPR site). We went back out "to check" and there are plenty of signs in place clearly stating that stopping on that section is prohibited, and on their website is clearly shows her car under one of the signs, and a second picture shows her outside of the car (when she was walking to the back passenger door to get to the dog).

In pure black and white, she is guilty as charged....she did stop on that section and can't argue the signage!

HOWEVER.....due to the reason for stopping...the dog having an epileptic seizure (i.e. medical emergency, even though its a dog) coupled with her then proceeding to the car park and paying correctly, is it reasonable for us to appeal?

She also contacted the vet, so they have a record of the dog being ill that day. Admittedly this doesn't prove that he had a fit in that particular location, but does prove he was ill that day.

So, we did appeal via their process explaining our "reasons" and it was rejected. The rejection letter just said the car was stopped when it shouldn't have been and there was signage to say so. It made no reference to our reasons. Therefore, I don't believe the appeal was actually properly considered.

This car park is notorious for the actions of this company. We have parked there several times without problem as we pay the parking fee. On one occasion I paid twice cos the first time I missed a digit off the numberplate!

My argument is that she stopped for an emergency, was not causing an obstruction and later paid the parking fee, so they lost no money. Their argument is purely that the camera caught her stationary where the sign said she shouldn't be.

To make it even more annoying is that they are impossible to talk to. When I phone I get stonewalled with some gimp saying they only deal via letter or email. So today I emailed and posted a letter re-iterating the mitigating circumstances and said I expect a phone call to discuss the appeal, so they can explain why a medical emergency isn't considered reasonable grounds to waive the fee. I stated they have 7 days to call or I will consider the matter closed. I don't see how they can hide and not talk.

The charge is £100, reduced to £60 if paid in 14 days.

It used to be you could ignore these things, but I'm sure that has changed...has it? Also, this isn't a charge for unpaid parking, it is a charge for stopping on prohibited ground, so is that different, or is it still just an invoice?

She's worried that they will take it further, but I just think its wrong so want to fight it. At least until the 14 days are up.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Private PCN rant/advice?

Post by Smartbear » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:24 pm

I can understand the frustration but if she’s stopped right next to the sign prohibiting it then i think they’ve got you and won’t let go.
These people aren’t known for their sympathetic tendencies! :(
I’d pay before the fine increases.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

gunners100

Private PCN rant/advice?

Post by gunners100 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:50 pm

ihadablackdog

Private PCN rant/advice?

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 pm

Thats the thing though, who stops to read the sign when their dog is dying in the back seat?

I bet if the driver had a heart attack and died they would go after the estate!

They say they "consider" appeals but they don't.

Apparently there is a 10 minute grace period on entering the access road and paying for the ticket and loads of people are getting fines within this period, so I'm thinking that might be another argument. There is a local Facebook group set up for this very car park. they recently took the car park company to court and won!

Still got a little while before the fee goes up, so going to see what else I can find.

gunners100 - I'll check that tomorrow, thank-you.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Private PCN rant/advice?

Post by ben g » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:29 am

Take them to court and explain it to the judge. It's hardly the end of the world if you lose and I guess it'll make you feel better telling your story, if they even turn up.

I would personally just pay the £60 and get on with my life. It's not worth worrying about.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.