Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Waterever's that?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Crazy Harry

Waterever's that?

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:57 pm

Had a bit of a 'mare the last few days with some unplanned plumbing work - prompted by the ceiling of our sitting room going a damp brown colour and the carpet in the bedroom above it floating!

What looked like a weeping seal on the tank neck matured into a pin hole with a jet of water from the top of the tank shoulder :o

Now don't get me wrong the tank was a late 70's vintage and was due a change but I had hoped to do it on my terms. The like for like swap wasn't because the foam insulation is now three times as thick and even though the feed pipes were in the correct place the tank wouldn't push back far enough because its fatter - so some pipework had to be moved to get it in.

The old tank was a bu99er to get down stairs because of the weight so in an idle moment this afternoon I cut the top of - well what a shocker! I keep posting about how hard the water is in our area
lime scale.png
lime scale.png (36.34 KiB) Viewed 334 times
but this was a surprise - half the tank full of scale its a wonder I had any hot water at all. It weighed in a 44kg (in a 900 x 450 tank) and I've not knocked it out of the dome yet?
IMG_0661[1].JPG
IMG_0661[1].JPG (280.01 KiB) Viewed 334 times
IMG_0662[1].JPG
IMG_0662[1].JPG (304.75 KiB) Viewed 334 times
IMG_0664[1].JPG
IMG_0664[1].JPG (315.22 KiB) Viewed 334 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Waterever's that?

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks for sharing. I shall be showing this to 'management' to explain why I keep putting Calgon in the washing machine!

Maybe then she'll appreciate the 'scale' of the problem.

No wonder washing cars here is a nightmare; leave it 5 minutes before you dry it and the paintwork is covered i white spots!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Waterever's that?

Post by buzyg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:11 pm

:o :cry: