Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Slip Roads

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by ben g » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:59 am

BeeEmm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 am Crap drivers, morons, idiots. There's a lot of tension here. If you cannot change lanes to accommodate someone joining from a slip road, either accelerate to pass the point they would join safely and have them join behind you, or ease of the accelerator to allow them to join in front. If you see them as early as you should, there should not be any need to brake. You will feel more relaxed. Or is there a case of these bastards are not going to push in front of me and I am not going to slow down for them! If you feel aggressive because of what you think someone has deliberately done to you, you have just become an aggressive driver. Not a good person to be. If you talk about something that happened while driving, more than an hour afterwards, it means that you were stressed. Life is not too short, life is long, but not with high stress levels. If you really want to know who is correct and who isn't, take some advanced road driving lessons, please.
Try driving like that going towards London on an early morning commute. Good luck :thumbsup:

Not every situation can be anticipated or planned for. Sometimes things happen which you can't react to, no matter how many advanced driving lessons you have under your belt.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

BeeEmm

Slip Roads

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am

ben g wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:59 am Try driving like that going towards London on an early morning commute. Good luck
M25 Junction 29 (A127) to Junction 23 (A1) for 10 years and of course the return journey and the A1 and A41. Worked in Wembley and drove from A127 for 25 years. (A406 North Circular). I have obviously offended a couple of people, so for that I apologise. Most situations can be anticipated, but agreed, not all. I should stop there, but I can't. Has anyone given a commentary while they drive to sharpen up their ANTICIPATION. For example start by saying I am driving on a single carriageway road and the road is dry. It is busy with lots of oncoming traffic and pedestrians walking close to the pavement. There is a bus in front and I can see someone has just stood up on the lower deck. There is a possibility that the bus will stop at the next bus stop. Checking all mirrors, I will move out slightly to the right. I can now see a bus stop ahead and I can also see that I should be able to pass if it stops. The bus is now signalling left. Now most people will react to the bus giving a signal but you were able to know the bus was going to stop probably before the bus driver did. This is anticipation, and believe me lots and lots of people do not think that way and have collisions or near misses, saying things like, he came from nowhere. I will give up now as this is not a driving lesson.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:39 am

BeeEmm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:35 am
mr.tourette wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:22 am I'm sure most of us have been driving long enough and safely enough not to need a driving lesson from the forum
You will no doubt have the backing of many people here (safe ground) but I read comments most days here on poor driving standards and it is the reaction or surprise of the writer that puts some of them in a poor position. You are right though, this is not a driving forum and no one has asked a question. Apologies for making you feel that you have nothing more to learn with regards to driving.
Never said I have nothing more to learn... I do however believe after 30 years riding and driving on road and track (and also some advanced riding qualifications) without incident that I have the basics covered, y'know things like how to join a carraigeway safely as was being discussed but thanks once again for the condescending point of view :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 am

This thread reminds me of when I used to run Kings Lynn Capri Club a few years ago. At one or two shows we went to, we would be approached by pamphlet-wielding, cardigan-clad, members of the IAM. Their attitude was so condescending and patronising. They knew everything, we knew nothing and they were 'on a mission' to convert us. Actually made the Jehovah's Witnesses an attractive proposition. And they always came to the Capris, but left the Jags etc alone. (Probably just coincidence I expect :? )

Well, we had one member, with a Turbo Technics 230 Capri 2.8i, fully skirted and lowered etc. We would get him to step forward. You could see the IAM preachers' eyes light up.
Our member would listen, throw in various well-reasoned questions and then, after they were well and truly into their flow, he would pull out his Police Warrant Card and explain how he drove traffic cars every day.
Always a Mastercard moment.

This is just a recollection, triggered by this discussion, and is not meant to indicate any assumptions or accusations on my part.
Thank you for bringing back this memory :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

BeeEmm

Slip Roads

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:15 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 am This thread reminds me of when I used to run Kings Lynn Capri Club a few years ago. At one or two shows we went to, we would be approached by pamphlet-wielding, cardigan-clad, members of the IAM. Their attitude was so condescending and patronising. They knew everything, we knew nothing and they were 'on a mission' to convert us. Actually made the Jehovah's Witnesses an attractive proposition. And they always came to the Capris, but left the Jags etc alone. (Probably just coincidence I expect )

Well, we had one member, with a Turbo Technics 230 Capri 2.8i, fully skirted and lowered etc. We would get him to step forward. You could see the IAM preachers' eyes light up.
Our member would listen, throw in various well-reasoned questions and then, after they were well and truly into their flow, he would pull out his Police Warrant Card and explain how he drove traffic cars every day.
Always a Mastercard moment.

This is just a recollection, triggered by this discussion, and is not meant to indicate any assumptions or accusations on my part.
Thank you for bringing back this memory
The IAM would hate your comments. Me, I just laughed. I have also taught some smart arsed Class 1 Police drivers and they are not all as good as you might think. The majority, serious professional officers realise that ongoing training is important. Time for me to finally exit this thread.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Chippie

Slip Roads

Post by Chippie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:50 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:35 am Apologies for making you feel that you have nothing more to learn with regards to driving.
Ouch! :fuelfire:
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by ben g » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:38 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am
ben g wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:59 am Try driving like that going towards London on an early morning commute. Good luck
M25 Junction 29 (A127) to Junction 23 (A1) for 10 years and of course the return journey and the A1 and A41. Worked in Wembley and drove from A127 for 25 years. (A406 North Circular). I have obviously offended a couple of people, so for that I apologise. Most situations can be anticipated, but agreed, not all. I should stop there, but I can't. Has anyone given a commentary while they drive to sharpen up their ANTICIPATION. For example start by saying I am driving on a single carriageway road and the road is dry. It is busy with lots of oncoming traffic and pedestrians walking close to the pavement. There is a bus in front and I can see someone has just stood up on the lower deck. There is a possibility that the bus will stop at the next bus stop. Checking all mirrors, I will move out slightly to the right. I can now see a bus stop ahead and I can also see that I should be able to pass if it stops. The bus is now signalling left. Now most people will react to the bus giving a signal but you were able to know the bus was going to stop probably before the bus driver did. This is anticipation, and believe me lots and lots of people do not think that way and have collisions or near misses, saying things like, he came from nowhere. I will give up now as this is not a driving lesson.
I feel sorry for your wife :cry:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

tug

Slip Roads

Post by tug » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:01 pm

The worst incident i have ever witnessed on a slip road is a X7 travelling down the slip followed by several other vehicles including myself. When suddenly all brake lights lit up simultaneously. She had only come to a complete stop and indicated to pull out on to the M1 :o

She then waited for someone to let her out!! So all other vehicles including myself were forced to pass on the left to join the motorway.
Passing the X7 i looked over and she was wearing a full hijab. Why is it that this is acceptable when some shopping precincts dont allow folk in until they take their sports cap off!!

And where are the traffic cops when they are seriously needed.

Im not racist by any means but this sort of thing should not be allowed. Like in other countries. Nuff said.
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by MrPT » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:39 pm

* subscribed