Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Slip Roads

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
DR-Z

Slip Roads

Post by DR-Z » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:39 pm

In France, on the Autoroutes, there's a rule you need to know. If you're going much faster than other traffic and come up behind a slower vehicle in the outside lane, say a car overtaking a lorry, the car is supposed to brake and pull in behind the lorry to let you pass. If it doesn't pull over, you stick your left hand indicator on and tailgate the car, at no more than 5m behind, until it pulls over. They teach this in French driving schools.
:driving:
Z4 28i (E89 2014) - mineral grey
530d (F11)
Previous (most recent first)
BMWs: 330D, Z4 2.5si (2007), 535D; Marlin Sportster (M3 engine, self-build); 330D Coupe; 123D coupe; 520i; 523i.
Also: Audi A6 2.7tdi; Audi TT 225; Audi 100 avant; Porsche 944S

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by Jembo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:12 am

ronk wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:24 pm
Jembo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 pm
In Europe it’s the law to ‘make room’ for traffic joining from the slip road....
Not in Germany and Netherlands, so which European country has the rule?
I ask as I’m also driving thro Switzerland and Italy at the end of the month. Just hope it’s neither of those two countries!
I drive in France & Germany quite a bit - I don’t have their Highway Code equivalent to cite but been told on many occasions by Germans... when discussing the obsession Belgium drivers have on pulling out at a slower speed into the fast lane millimetres in front of you ... & they know they do it on purpose... that the subject of slip roads often comes up.

I’m going there this Saturday so I’ll get them to show me
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

obewan

Slip Roads

Post by obewan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:00 am

mr.tourette wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:02 pm since when has cutting the corner when turning right become a thing? Apparently its normal around here to turn right into the lane of oncoming traffic.. boils my piss :thumbsdown:
Sooo true, I get this at the end of the road where I live all the time :evil:

And another thing: At a nearby tee junction cars giving way and turning right sit in the middle of the carriageway meaning I can't filter to the left There's plenty of room for 2 cars if they would only get over to where they should be :headbang:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:17 am

The wife was on the M6 somewhere near Birmingham. Luckily all 3 lanes were crawling at about 45mph.
Some numpty threw himself out into the traffic from a slip road. No-one had anywhere to go, so the left lane veered to the right, the middle lane took avoiding action and wifey, in the outside lane, went rattling down the armco. Luckily she hit it perfectly side on and didn't catch on any projections, so she stayed on the central reservation.
I suspect her company car training in an Evora whilst she was at Lotus probably helped a bit too.

The whole right side of her car was totalled.

Saddest part, not a single person stopped! They all kept veering round her and she was stuck there for ages before she could get it across to the hard shoulder.

The roads are inhabited by self-centred, ignorant morons (present company excepted of course!)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:32 pm

obewan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:00 am
mr.tourette wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:02 pm since when has cutting the corner when turning right become a thing? Apparently its normal around here to turn right into the lane of oncoming traffic.. boils my piss :thumbsdown:
Sooo true, I get this at the end of the road where I live all the time :evil:

And another thing: At a nearby tee junction cars giving way and turning right sit in the middle of the carriageway meaning I can't filter to the left There's plenty of room for 2 cars if they would only get over to where they should be :headbang:
Haha..yep that one too..twats the lot of em :headbang:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Sidewaze Samm

Slip Roads

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:59 pm

ronk wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:05 pm stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
That's something that most just can't do. Great big white arrows on the road pointing straight ahead, as the two lanes become three, but the new inside lane is empty - cos they're bleedin blind, stupid or both !!
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 pm

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:59 pm
ronk wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:05 pm stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
That's something that most just can't do. Great big white arrows on the road pointing straight ahead, as the two lanes become three, but the new inside lane is empty - cos they're bleedin blind, stupid or both !!
Or have spotted a lorry three miles ahead and don't want to be boxed in!

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by ben g » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:01 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:02 pm ive had people raging at me when i havent moved lanes because I cant due to traffic and they dont know how to adjust their speed to join safely.. the roads are populated by utter morons these days... and another one.. since when has cutting the corner when turning right become a thing? Apparently its normal around here to turn right into the lane of oncoming traffic.. boils my piss :thumbsdown:
I usually make a point of sitting right over to the right side of my lane when turning left out of a local T junction, which everyone likes to cut across. The amount of times I've been pulling up to it and had a huge great suv almost take my front end off is ridiculous! It seems no one sees lanes as a thing these days :lol:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by ben g » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:04 pm

DR-Z wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:39 pm In France, on the Autoroutes, there's a rule you need to know. If you're going much faster than other traffic and come up behind a slower vehicle in the outside lane, say a car overtaking a lorry, the car is supposed to brake and pull in behind the lorry to let you pass. If it doesn't pull over, you stick your left hand indicator on and tailgate the car, at no more than 5m behind, until it pulls over. They teach this in French driving schools.
:driving:
Down here, someone else would squeeze in that 5m gap :lol:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

BeeEmm

Slip Roads

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 am

Crap drivers, morons, idiots. There's a lot of tension here. If you cannot change lanes to accommodate someone joining from a slip road, either accelerate to pass the point they would join safely and have them join behind you, or ease of the accelerator to allow them to join in front. If you see them as early as you should, there should not be any need to brake. You will feel more relaxed. Or is there a case of these bastards are not going to push in front of me and I am not going to slow down for them! If you feel aggressive because of what you think someone has deliberately done to you, you have just become an aggressive driver. Not a good person to be. If you talk about something that happened while driving, more than an hour afterwards, it means that you were stressed. Life is not too short, life is long, but not with high stress levels. If you really want to know who is correct and who isn't, take some advanced road driving lessons, please.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Vonlipvig

Slip Roads

Post by Vonlipvig » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:08 am

BeeEmm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 am Crap drivers, morons, idiots. There's a lot of tension here. If you cannot change lanes to accommodate someone joining from a slip road, either accelerate to pass the point they would join safely and have them join behind you, or ease of the accelerator to allow them to join in front. If you see them as early as you should, there should not be any need to brake. You will feel more relaxed. Or is there a case of these bastards are not going to push in front of me and I am not going to slow down for them! If you feel aggressive because of what you think someone has deliberately done to you, you have just become an aggressive driver. Not a good person to be. If you talk about something that happened while driving, more than an hour afterwards, it means that you were stressed. Life is not too short, life is long, but not with high stress levels. If you really want to know who is correct and who isn't, take some advanced road driving lessons, please.
Oh dont get me wrong, I do just as you said. Give people room, let them out move over etc. Being angry in the car is just asking for trouble. Doesn't stop me thinking anyone can be an idiot and keeping an eye out expecting something stupid though :wink:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

BeeEmm

Slip Roads

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:15 am

Vonlipvig wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:08 am Doesn't stop me thinking anyone can be an idiot and keeping an eye out expecting something stupid though
This is another way of saying good awareness and anticipation. Well done Vonlipvig.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 am

BeeEmm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:15 am
Vonlipvig wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:08 am Doesn't stop me thinking anyone can be an idiot and keeping an eye out expecting something stupid though
This is another way of saying good awareness and anticipation. Well done Vonlipvig.
Valid point but not always possible. Ask my wife.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:22 am

BeeEmm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 am Crap drivers, morons, idiots. There's a lot of tension here. If you cannot change lanes to accommodate someone joining from a slip road, either accelerate to pass the point they would join safely and have them join behind you, or ease of the accelerator to allow them to join in front. If you see them as early as you should, there should not be any need to brake. You will feel more relaxed. Or is there a case of these bastards are not going to push in front of me and I am not going to slow down for them! If you feel aggressive because of what you think someone has deliberately done to you, you have just become an aggressive driver. Not a good person to be. If you talk about something that happened while driving, more than an hour afterwards, it means that you were stressed. Life is not too short, life is long, but not with high stress levels. If you really want to know who is correct and who isn't, take some advanced road driving lessons, please.
I think the point op is making which is completely valid is its up to the people joining the carriageway to adjust their speed to join correctly not the other way around, I'm sure most of us move over whenever it is safe to do so as well as backing off or accelerating when necessary, however when you drive regularly in rush hours with ever increasing traffic you need EVERYONE to be spatially aware as well as courteous ...I dont see any aggression in these comments just frustration at falling standards...your comments however I find pretty condescending, my 21 year old nephew was killed by someone driving dangerously, try telling him lifes not too short .. I'm sure most of us have been driving long enough and safely enough not to need a driving lesson from the forum :?
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

BeeEmm

Slip Roads

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:35 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:22 am I'm sure most of us have been driving long enough and safely enough not to need a driving lesson from the forum
You will no doubt have the backing of many people here (safe ground) but I read comments most days here on poor driving standards and it is the reaction or surprise of the writer that puts some of them in a poor position. You are right though, this is not a driving forum and no one has asked a question. Apologies for making you feel that you have nothing more to learn with regards to driving.