Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Slip Roads

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by ronk » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Have they changed the rules while I've not been looking?

Ive just driven up from Bedfordshire to Durham and it seemed like every slip road was populated by morons who seemed to think that it was the proper thing to just barge onto the main lane no matter who or what was there! Most of them seemed to have a gormless 1000 yard stare!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

DR-Z

Slip Roads

Post by DR-Z » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:53 pm

On the other hand, there are so many crap drivers who don't look ahead to see someone joining from a slip road and move out a lane to accommodate them (assuming it's safe to move out).
Z4 28i (E89 2014) - mineral grey
530d (F11)
Previous (most recent first)
BMWs: 330D, Z4 2.5si (2007), 535D; Marlin Sportster (M3 engine, self-build); 330D Coupe; 123D coupe; 520i; 523i.
Also: Audi A6 2.7tdi; Audi TT 225; Audi 100 avant; Porsche 944S

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Its also a competition to see who can get from the slip to the outside lane in the shortest distance/time.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Crazy Harry

Slip Roads

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:11 pm

They only look like 'give way' lines - now every one has the right to join from a slip road and screw who ever happens to be in the way. If I had a £ for every time I've changed speed (slammed on brakes) or moved out I'd be able to get someone else to type this!

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by Jembo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:11 pm They only look like 'give way' lines - now every one has the right to join from a slip road and screw who ever happens to be in the way. If I had a £ for every time I've changed speed (slammed on brakes) or moved out I'd be able to get someone else to type this!
In Europe it’s the law to ‘make room’ for traffic joining from the slip road....even if this means u have to slow down!

Their logic is simple - if a car can’t pull out & is forced to wait, it’ll join the carriageway at a slower speed which is MUCH more dangerous for traffic behind.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Chippie

Slip Roads

Post by Chippie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:23 pm

The thing that annoys me is when drivers feel they have to join the carriage way within the first couple of meters instead of using its full length of the slip road to safety merge into the flow of traffic, especially when there is standing traffic creating a line of cars behind them backing up to the top of the slip road
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Crazy Harry

Slip Roads

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Jembo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 pm
Crazy Harry wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:11 pm They only look like 'give way' lines - now every one has the right to join from a slip road and screw who ever happens to be in the way. If I had a £ for every time I've changed speed (slammed on brakes) or moved out I'd be able to get someone else to type this!
In Europe it’s the law to ‘make room’ for traffic joining from the slip road....even if this means u have to slow down!

Their logic is simple - if a car can’t pull out & is forced to wait, it’ll join the carriageway at a slower speed which is MUCH more dangerous for traffic behind.
Yea no problem with them joining - its when they don't adjust their speed to match the gap. Every junction will have a give way line across lane one soon rather than the end of the slip road

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Slip Roads

Post by buzyg » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Dangerous places. Best to assume every one else is a moron and make space. It often takes two to crash. :wink:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:02 pm

ive had people raging at me when i havent moved lanes because I cant due to traffic and they dont know how to adjust their speed to join safely.. the roads are populated by utter morons these days... and another one.. since when has cutting the corner when turning right become a thing? Apparently its normal around here to turn right into the lane of oncoming traffic.. boils my piss :thumbsdown:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Jembo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 pm In Europe it’s the law to ‘make room’ for traffic joining from the slip road....even if this means u have to slow down!
Not in Holland.
buzyg wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:58 pm Dangerous places. Best to assume every one else is a moron and make space. It often takes two to crash. :wink:
I factor in the 'idiot factor' at every given opportunity over here in The Netherlands. Lots of unecessary aggression and 'entitlement' over here.
I'm also noticing a certain, shall we say 'demographic' over here who are usually all driving sh!tboxes and driving as though it was Damascus in the rush hour! It's becoming quite unpleasant.
:|

There's now a government-funded scheme to get people to be nicer to each other looooolz :rofl:
https://dutchreview.com/culture/society ... QhFAAM2QcI
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Vonlipvig

Slip Roads

Post by Vonlipvig » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:45 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:58 pm Dangerous places. Best to assume every one else is a moron and make space. It often takes two to crash. :wink:
Couldn't agree more. I always assume the person in the car is an idiot who will do stupid things stupidly at any moment
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by firebobby » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:59 pm

What you need to do is give the offending car a tap on the rear quarter and spin them out...like they do in banger racing :rofl:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by ronk » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:05 pm

3. Joining the motorway (259)

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway.
You should give priority to traffic already on the motorway
check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

A lot seem to have forgotten!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Slip Roads

Post by ronk » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:24 pm

Jembo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 pm
In Europe it’s the law to ‘make room’ for traffic joining from the slip road....
Not in Germany and Netherlands, so which European country has the rule?
I ask as I’m also driving thro Switzerland and Italy at the end of the month. Just hope it’s neither of those two countries!
Last edited by ronk on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Slip Roads

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:25 pm

ronk wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:05 pm A lot seem to have forgotten!
That's far too kind - most don't seem to know, and couldn't give a sh*t anyway because they have no spatial awareness and are busy texting. :headbang:

I'm looking forward to autonomous cars - just so long as I don't have to have one! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black