Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

WiFi Speed

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

WiFi Speed

Post by ronk » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:46 pm

I’ve got slow Wi Fi speed at home and was considering buying a speed booster gizmo - but there’s a voice in my head don’t be so stupid, they can’t / don’t work.

The phrase “if it seems too good to be true etc. “ comes to mind at this point!

Has anyone used them and are they a con?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

greg81

WiFi Speed

Post by greg81 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:14 pm

You cannot inprove the speed that comes into your house. There are however various ways of improving the stability around your home.

What speeds do you get when you run a test as www.speedtest.net ?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

WiFi Speed

Post by ronk » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:46 pm

I’m getting 16mbps and that is a stable speed throughout the house. The speed Is measured over a wireless connection on all devices.

The provider says the min speed should be 17 and after the installation of the new connections box in the lounge and a new router I was getting 23mbps but after the System lay dormant while on holiday the speed dropped.

I suspect dirty deeds a the BT green box!

greg81

WiFi Speed

Post by greg81 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Try a wired connection straight into the router and you may find it hits 17mb.

That said, if you've just done the test just now it'll likely be lower than other times as this will be a busy service period.

If BT say you're on a 17mb connection and you're getting 16mb over wi-fi then I'd say you're doing pretty well

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

WiFi Speed

Post by ronk » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:12 pm

Im with Plusnet - I think although they are a wholesale branch of BT, Their retail side will keep faster lines tö themselves ( just a hunch)

I suppose I can live with 16mbps as it’s a stable connection most of the time.

srhutch

WiFi Speed

Post by srhutch » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:27 pm

Don’t confuse WiFi speed with broadband speed.

I have a guy at work keeps moraine about his WiFi speed at home. He lives in a bed sit so one room. I keep having to remind him he lives in the sticks and his bb speed is 2mb, and that is his issue.

greg81

WiFi Speed

Post by greg81 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:31 pm

ronk wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:12 pm Im with Plusnet - I think although they are a wholesale branch of BT, Their retail side will keep faster lines tö themselves ( just a hunch)
They'll throttle your connection dependant on the package you pay for.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

WiFi Speed

Post by ronk » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Yes WiFi is the connection to Broadband :oops:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

WiFi Speed

Post by ronk » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm

greg81 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:31 pm
ronk wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:12 pm Im with Plusnet - I think although they are a wholesale branch of BT, Their retail side will keep faster lines tö themselves ( just a hunch)
They'll throttle your connection dependant on the package you pay for.
Sounds like time for a phone call and a bellyache session again!

Vonlipvig

WiFi Speed

Post by Vonlipvig » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 pm

It all depends on the speed to the cab. Most providers will go through openreach, with a few exceptions like virgin and others smaller providers, and the same max speed is available regardless of who you are with as they are using the same infrastructure. Think different rail companies using the same lines.

The package you pay for can have a limit on speed, but the max speed is dependent on the physical limitations of the line. Openreach have a specific site which will tell you the max speed on your line and who can provide them
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

WiFi Speed

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 pm

Is there not some kind of conspiracy theory that your provider sells you a package then slowly and sneakily 'throttles' it until you get so fed up you call to complain and they sell you the 'upgraded' version?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

WiFi Speed

Post by ronk » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 pm Is there not some kind of conspiracy theory that your provider sells you a package then slowly and sneakily 'throttles' it until you get so fed up you call to complain and they sell you the 'upgraded' version?
As I said when I got the new kit mine was 23 at any time - now it’s 17 so your argument has some Creedence.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

WiFi Speed

Post by dr_john » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 am

I’m suspicious of these ‘speed boosters’, seems to defy the laws of physics.

My BT quoted minimum speed is 32Mbps, if it drops below this I get on to BT and have a moan, it always goes back up again to around 35Mbps.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

WiFi Speed

Post by Ewazix » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:13 am

dr_john wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 am I’m suspicious of these ‘speed boosters’, seems to defy the laws of physics.

My BT quoted minimum speed is 32Mbps, if it drops below this I get on to BT and have a moan, it always goes back up again to around 35Mbps.
You might be right. Sky's speed test shows me getting 72Mbps, the independent Ofcom test done back to back shows 53.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecom ... om-checker
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

WiFi Speed

Post by MrPT » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 am

Lines are managed dynamically, which means the sync speed is dropped/raised based on how stable they are perceived to be.

I've heard of the "return from holiday - Internet is slow" issue a few times. I'm sure there isn't one single cause, but it could be that the connection going idle and/or devices restarting themselves (e.g. due to firmware updates) causes the line to get dropped down a few bands. Usually a few days of constant use will make the line return to its optimal speed. In rare cases it will get stuck in a lower band and can be reset by an engineer (this is what may be happened when you hear "BT did something and it fixed it").

Make sure you check your line sync speed (via the router) as well as your actual measured download/upload speed.
greg81 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:51 pm If BT say you're on a 17mb connection and you're getting 16mb over wi-fi then I'd say you're doing pretty well
Yeah! I'm quoted 35 and get 7...
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone