Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Health scare

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Health scare

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:43 am

The past few weeks have have made me realise how much good health shouldn't be taken for granted. I'm 54 and always thought of myself in reasonably good health to a point I've never even thought about it, I've never been to see a doctor probably since I was a nipper, never had to as I've never had bad health.

A few weeks ago I started having issues with both feet, started off as burning, as if both feet are on fire and then with the feet going cold with the toes going numb. First thought is what the hell, it will go. After 3 weeks the burning and soreness seemed to be getting worse and at times unbearable. As you do you search he interweb for answers and it was all pointing towards diabetes. I got to the stage where I was pretty devastated to be honest and got pretty neurotic this is what I had. Burning feet can be be a sign of vascular neuropathy and as a result that you've had diabetes for some time without realising. The scary thing is it can be the first hint you have the disease. I went to the docs who also suspected diabetes. Although I'm reasonably active I know my refined sugar intake has probably been too high over the years but otherwise I have a fairly balanced diet and no family history of diabetes. The doc ordered full blood tests. In the meantime my diet and excercise routine has completely changed as I got to know all about diabetes and what is required to control it. I didn't realise you have to inform to the DVLA if on insulin and your car insurer which means premiums will most likely go up. I thought S**t I bought a blood sugar monitor however glucose levels appeared normal so went for days completely confused. Found it all very depressing.

Last Friday I went back to the docs for the test results, to say I was apprehensive was an understatement. I sat in front of the doc fearing the worst but the doc cofirmed that all the blood tests came back clear and normal. I think I asked the doc about 4 times are you sure I don't have diabetes and replied I definately don't have it. I was pretty ecstatic however there was still issue I was having with the feet. The doc still isn't sure but has suggested back excercises to see if it improves things, compressed nerve as I get tingling in the lower back at times so currently doing that to see if it improves matters.

If anything this has taught me to take health more seriously especially as you get over 50, maybe see the doc once a year and get blood tests done just for reasurance on your general health.

Tim.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Health scare

Post by paddy wright » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Glad all is ok! :thumbsup:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

bladeowner

Health scare

Post by bladeowner » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Glad all is well. :thumbsup: I hope your feet get better. Shows the pitfalls of self diagnosis though. I once ordered a Readers Digest book of medical conditions and symptoms. It was marvellous but my wife sent it back immediately as she knew I'd be complaining of half the the ailments. :o
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

greg81

Health scare

Post by greg81 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:34 pm

Hope you get sorted soon. Health issues aren't limited to the older either. I got cancer at 25, then another different, unrelated type at 28!

All fun and games

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Health scare

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks guys, really sorry Greg, sometimes other people's health issues put things into perspective, hope you're ok now.

I appreciate at 54 I should be grateful for the good health up to now.

Still trying to figure my foot issues. The issue I now have is my toes are freezing, I did aerobics and exercise bike this morning and toes still freezing cold. I've now been sitting down the past half hour and all of a sudden it's like a hot tap has been turned on and my toes are now super warm. Its bizzare, same happened last Friday, toes on both feet freezing all day even thought temps were on the 20s then in the evening all the toes went warm and stayed warm all yesterday yet today until now been struggling to keep them warm.

I have been suffering alot from work stress and anxiety the past few months and wandered if it could be related. I did explain this to my doc but she really completely dismissed it.

Tim.

Cees Klumper

Health scare

Post by Cees Klumper » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:04 pm

Good luck with getting to the bottom (pun intended) of your foot issue. Glad it's not diabetes.
I decided to go for my first check up in many years a couple of weeks ago. I'm 59 and like you always considered myself to be in good health, no complaints, regular exercise (weights, no cardio), moderate lifestyle, trim etc. Well I had very high blood pressure, as in average 150/95, high blood sugar (deemed pre-diabetes) and high cholestorol.
Immediately changed diet habits and added cardio to my routines. Within these few weeks my blood pressure went to average 110/70 which is entirely fine, and we'll do the blood and urine work again in 3 months to see how the changes in habits, which is all they really are, have worked out. I am very encouraged by the blood pressure improvement already. Last year I heard an old girlfriend on mine at 57 had a stroke and that was another reminder of the importance of regular preventative health checks. Getting my first colonoscopy in a few months....
2011 sDrive 35i Alpine White
100,000 miles 3rd owner
Other BMW is a 2016 C650 Sport scooter-beast

greg81

Health scare

Post by greg81 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:15 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:18 pm Thanks guys, really sorry Greg, sometimes other people's health issues put things into perspective, hope you're ok now.

Apologies, I wasn't trying to be a story topper.

Was just trying to get that people tend to think I'll be ok until 40s/50s and maybe but it's not always the case. Look after yourself whatever age :)

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Health scare

Post by firebobby » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Have you thought about acupuncture Tim, sounds like a blockage of some sort. Good luck with it and keep us informed.
Oh and
:worthless:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Health scare

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Cees Klumper wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:04 pm Good luck with getting to the bottom (pun intended) of your foot issue. Glad it's not diabetes.
I decided to go for my first check up in many years a couple of weeks ago. I'm 59 and like you always considered myself to be in good health, no complaints, regular exercise (weights, no cardio), moderate lifestyle, trim etc. Well I had very high blood pressure, as in average 150/95, high blood sugar (deemed pre-diabetes) and high cholestorol.
Immediately changed diet habits and added cardio to my routines. Within these few weeks my blood pressure went to average 110/70 which is entirely fine, and we'll do the blood and urine work again in 3 months to see how the changes in habits, which is all they really are, have worked out. I am very encouraged by the blood pressure improvement already. Last year I heard an old girlfriend on mine at 57 had a stroke and that was another reminder of the importance of regular preventative health checks. Getting my first colonoscopy in a few months....
Thanks Cees, hope you get sorted too, somethimes it just needs some basic changes in lifestyle to get yourself back on track :) I'm just regretting not keeping a regular tab on blood pressure, cholestrol and sugar levels, all a silent killer, something Im going to keep a check on more regularly in future.

I've started taking something called Fruitflow, an interesting product, may sound gimmicky but is supposed to have the same benefits as taking asprin each day without the possible side affects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3HCSdyupEY&t=135s

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Health scare

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:58 pm

greg81 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:15 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:18 pm Thanks guys, really sorry Greg, sometimes other people's health issues put things into perspective, hope you're ok now.

Apologies, I wasn't trying to be a story topper.

Was just trying to get that people tend to think I'll be ok until 40s/50s and maybe but it's not always the case. Look after yourself whatever age :)
Thanks greg, no worries, :thumbsup:

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Health scare

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:02 pm

firebobby wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:21 pm Have you thought about acupuncture Tim, sounds like a blockage of some sort. Good luck with it and keep us informed.
Oh and
:worthless:
Thanks bobby, acupuncture could be an option, a friend has suggested hot yoga, unsure about that :) anyways toes still warm today although slightly sore, I hoping more daily excercises will see things improve. :)

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Health scare

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:32 pm

Glad to hear it wasn't what you feared OP, but I hope you get it sorted. :thumbsup:

Good health to everyone else too! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Health scare

Post by jimbo1958 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:35 pm

Glad you're ok Tim......you're right about good health.....I'm down to only 4 bottles of lager a night now. :cheers:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Health scare

Post by buzyg » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 pm

Glad you got the all clear Tim. Hope you get your feet sorted soon too. :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Health scare

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Thanks all, appreciate the kind words,

I hope tomorrow I don't need to go into the office wearing my heated socks as I did last week. Only issue I had was in a meeting when I realised the one sock seemed to go into hyper heat just as the battery was running out of juice :lol: A few contorted expressions and all was good :)

Tim.