Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Outpouring of “grief”...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by john-e89 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:12 pm

Whilst the Notre Dame fire is a shame I find it at best perculiar, at worst a complete and utter slap in the face to the natural world the amount of ‘grief’ shown by this fire.

The tragedy to me is how so few people don’t seem to get so emotional about the devastation of the rain forests, reefs, plastic in the oceans etc, etc, etc, far too many to list. :(
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

wonkydonkey

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:23 pm

I think the rapid, televised impact on the condition of the building is more tangible than the relatively slow decline in the health of the natural world. That doesn't devalue the importance of the latter, but may explain what you're observing here. We hear and read about the problems of the natural world on an almost daily basis, but we don't see landmarks like Notre Dame ravaged very often, thankfully.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Its one of them John,people love to jump on the bandwagon of grief.It gives them an enormous sense of well being.

As you say,the real issues within the natural world are often ignored,under funded if any and just down right forgotten.

Unfortunately,this is the world we now live in. :(

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by buzyg » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 pm

The trick is not to watch the media. I learn much of what is happening in the world from Classic FM and on this forum. Stopped watching the general news and reading any news papers many years ago. Very happy with my narrow Cornish view of the world. :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by john-e89 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:30 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:23 pm I think the rapid, televised impact on the condition of the building is more tangible than the relatively slow decline in the health of the natural world. That doesn't devalue the importance of the latter, but may explain what you're observing here. We hear and read about the problems of the natural world on an almost daily basis, but we don't see landmarks like Notre Dame ravaged very often, thankfully.
Can’t argue with that Wonkeydonkey, but it’s still a shame a few other Billionaires don’t throw 100mill at the natural world more often....

What I’m getting at is I’m sure we, as a world society, could stop the majority of unnecessary ‘rape of the natural world’ by clubbing together to pump money into poor areas so, just as one tiny example, the palm oil trade could be stopped.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

greg81

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by greg81 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:34 pm

The church have plenty of money stockpiled

BeeEmm

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by BeeEmm » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:34 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 pm The trick is not to watch the media. I learn much of what is happening in the world from Classic FM and on this forum. Stopped watching the general news and reading any news papers many years ago. Very happy with my narrow Cornish view of the world.
Have you not heard, Cornwall is now under French rule and will remain part of the EU as a result. Adieu Monsieur
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

wonkydonkey

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:35 pm

john-e89 I suppose none of us actually knows how much money is donated to global causes by the wealthy folk. I certainly don't have access to any of that information. I think we've seen a strong upward trend in initiatives and investment in the last three years or so, so hopefully that will continue. Parliaments certainly aren't the fastest-acting (or brightest) beasts out there. The state of the seas is abysmal :(
Previous:

<My name is James>

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by TitanTim » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:40 pm

I guess it's similar to grief showed when Princess Diana snuffed it, I know she was a popular person in the limelight but I never quite understood the wailing at the funeral procession from people who didn't know her from Adam.

I do feel sad at what's happened with Notre Dame, the people who built these places were something else and I find it sad it was nearly lost in a few hours yet took 200 years to build. Its a joke if they think they can rebuild it in 5 years, other sources say in reality it will take 40 years to restore.

I really hope it's restored to exactly how it was with no modern rubbish take on it. I think that's owed to people who originally built it and how it should be. The only snag is finding 1500 oak trees.

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by buzyg » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:41 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:34 pm
buzyg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 pm The trick is not to watch the media. I learn much of what is happening in the world from Classic FM and on this forum. Stopped watching the general news and reading any news papers many years ago. Very happy with my narrow Cornish view of the world.
Have you not heard, Cornwall is now under French rule and will remain part of the EU as a result. Adieu Monsieur
:lol: No I must have mist that. :P

Better than Corbyn. :D

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by mmm-five » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:43 pm

The church has billions, so don't see why they have to keep asking for donations.

Anyway, if the building was that important, why didn't the little baby jesus put the fire out - or stop it happening in the first place :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by john-e89 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:48 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:35 pm john-e89 I suppose none of us actually knows how much money is donated to global causes by the wealthy folk. I certainly don't have access to any of that information. I think we've seen a strong upward trend in initiatives and investment in the last three years or so, so hopefully that will continue. Parliaments certainly aren't the fastest-acting (or brightest) beasts out there. The state of the seas is abysmal :(
No I don’t know amounts either true enough, however what I do know is if the developed world clubbed together a lot of destruction could be stopped before it’s too late. You only need offer free money. Sounds ridiculous but the country’s that are chopping rain forests down don’t have big money, therefore you only need to match wages then invest in education, contraception, etc. The developed world needs to wake up imho and damn fast, put differences to one side for the sake of the planet, global pollution is just one part of a massive problem.

Easier said than done obviously but we as a societies can be so damn petty. Letting Trump get away with withdrawing from the Paris agreement is utterly scandalous.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

wonkydonkey

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm

mmm-five wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:43 pmAnyway, if the building was that important, why didn't the little baby jesus put the fire out - or stop it happening in the first place :P
:lol: :rofl: :lol:
Previous:

<My name is James>

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by john-e89 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:53 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm
mmm-five wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:43 pmAnyway, if the building was that important, why didn't the little baby jesus put the fire out - or stop it happening in the first place :P
:lol: :rofl: :lol:
:rofl: :rofl:

That was my next point too,..... :lol:

Is it because........(whisper) he doesn’t exist..... :? :P
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Outpouring of “grief”...

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Blasphemer!!

Did you not see Jesus's face in the flames!!!