Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MOT without third brake light - RESULTS ARE IN

Discuss anything non Z4 related here

Will I fail an MOT without the middle brake light?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 20

wonkydonkey

MOT without third brake light

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:25 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:40 pmAbsolutely.
The results are in - you were right :thumbsup: Maximum points to you, sir!
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:30 pm

So as per my update at the top of this thread, the car did not fail for a non-functioning third brake light. I declared that I had disconnected it due to concerns regarding potential water ingress into the electrics via the cracked lens. The replacement light should arrive next week and I'll fit it immediately as I do not want to be driving a car without its third brake light.
Previous:

<My name is James>

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:38 pm

So why do they bother putting the annoying central brake lights on cars in the first place. Nothing worse that sitting at the lights behind some twonk with their foot glued to the brake and the third high level light burning your eyes out.

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:47 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:38 pm So why do they bother putting the annoying central brake lights on cars in the first place. Nothing worse that sitting at the lights behind some twonk with their foot glued to the brake and the third high level light burning your eyes out
Bonjour, With modern cars that have an automatic parking brake and start/stop, the brake lights are always on when stationary, even though the driver has their feet of the pedals. Not something I agree with.
Last edited by BeeEmm on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:49 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:38 pm So why do they bother putting the annoying central brake lights on cars in the first place. Nothing worse that sitting at the lights behind some twonk with their foot glued to the brake and the third high level light burning your eyes out.
Don't get me started on these people. Seems at least 80% of cars at a standstill on the road (traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts etc) have their brake lights on. What are they doing??!
Previous:

<My name is James>

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:47 pm
buzyg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:38 pm So why do they bother putting the annoying central brake lights on cars in the first place. Nothing worse that sitting at the lights behind some twonk with their foot glued to the brake and the third high level light burning your eyes out
Bonjour, With modern cars that have an automatic parking brake and start/stop, the brake lights are always on, even though the driver has their feet of the pedals. Not something I agree with.
Didn't know that. So tis the designersand not all of the drivers, who are twonks. :lol:

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:28 pm

A bit like all the cars out there with auto lights that happily let their owners drive around in the dark without any rear lights on :roll:
Previous:

<My name is James>

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:15 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:38 pm So why do they bother putting the annoying central brake lights on cars in the first place. Nothing worse that sitting at the lights behind some twonk with their foot glued to the brake and the third high level light burning your eyes out.
The idea being the car behind you might have better visibility of the car in front of you that is breaking as the brake light might be visible through the windows of your car.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:50 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:49 pm
Don't get me started on these people. Seems at least 80% of cars at a standstill on the road (traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts etc) have their brake lights on. What are they doing??!
I hate it too, but weirdly, if Im sat stationery with stop/start on in the mercedes, the engine will go off if I leave the auto box in gear and hold the brakes.

If I then put it in P and release the brakes, the engine will start back up.

So it makes more sense to stay in gear and hold the brakes as the engine will cut out that way, saving fuel.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm

They are mandatory so IMHO it should have failed :fuelfire:

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:53 pm

ben g one of my colleagues told me about his Merc doing that too. It's like they didn't quite understand the memo!
Previous:

<My name is James>

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:56 pm

andyf1140 besides the obvious added benefits the third brake light brings in terms of visibility, it also adds another very useful level of redundancy. The chances of all three brake lights going pop is much lower than if you only had two. I don't necessarily agree with the MOT ruling here but it suited me today 8)
Last edited by wonkydonkey on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous:

<My name is James>

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:19 pm

ben g wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:50 pm
wonkydonkey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:49 pm
I hate it too, but weirdly, if Im sat stationery with stop/start on in the mercedes, the engine will go off if I leave the auto box in gear and hold the brakes.

If I then put it in P and release the brakes, the engine will start back up.

So it makes more sense to stay in gear and hold the brakes as the engine will cut out that way, saving fuel.
As a man who spends his day solving logic problems. That"s frelln bonkers. :lol: :roll:

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:42 pm

Andy f1140 wrote: They are mandatory so IMHO it should have failed.

Appreciate your view, but that is the case. Also, if the brake lights are composed of multiple lights (usually LEDs) it is an MOT pass if only 50% of the LED's are working on any one unit. More than that and it fails.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:56 pm andyf1140 besides the obvious added benefits the third brake light brings in terms of visibility, it also adds another very useful level of redundancy. The chances of all three brake lights going pop is much higher than if you only had two. I don't necessarily agree with the MOT ruling here but it suited me today 8)
Did you mean the chances of all three lights going pop is much lower (not higher) than if you only had two? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold