Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Smart Plugs

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Plugs

Post by TitanTim » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi all,

Just need some advice please on the use of a smart plug. I installed a new Hotpoint washer dryer yesterday but typically the electric cable was just too short to reach the wall socket above the kitchen work surface. In the past I've cut the moulded plug off and fed the cable up through the work surface and refitted a normal plug. I think manufacturers are making things like cables etc on white goods shorter and shorter to save costs. Anyways luckily I do have socket under the work surface behind the washing machine so its plugged in there now. Me being me :oops: I would prefer to be able to switch power off at the wall socket if possible.

Is there any reason why you can't use a smart plug to power on/off a washing machine at the wall socket? I couldn't find any obvious answers on the net, I was just wandering regarding power draw that a washing machine requires and if a smart plug would be upto the job or if I'm asking for trouble using one.

I have various Hive plugs around the house for the lights and TV etc but just unsure using one with a washing machine.

Cheers,

Tim.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Plugs

Post by markplant » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:15 pm

Anything on a 3pin plug can only be fused to 13a unless dangerously tampered with so as long as you smart plug can do the same and it should , all should be fine
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Plugs

Post by TitanTim » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:26 pm

markplant wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:15 pm Anything on a 3pin plug can only be fused to 13a unless dangerously tampered with so as long as you smart plug can do the same and it should , all should be fine
Thanks Mark, I'm unsure what the wattage consumption is of the washing machine but I think this plug might suffice which is 13A 3100w . I think the dryer part of a washing machine is around 2000w so I think this plug would be ok.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3553454403

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Smart Plugs

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:21 pm

As it's rated for 13 Amps it should be fine - no appliance that comes thing with a 13 Amp plug fitted can draw more than 13 Amps. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Plugs

Post by TitanTim » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:47 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:21 pm As it's rated for 13 Amps it should be fine - no appliance that comes thing with a 13 Amp plug fitted can draw more than 13 Amps. :thumbsup:
Many thanks, I'll get one ordered and give it a try :)

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Smart Plugs

Post by buzyg » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:04 pm

It will say somewhere on your appliance, what it draws. 13amps is probably correct for a washing machine. But it is dangerous to assume such things. If the appliance where designed for a 7am fuse and a short occured then the appliance could over heat and cause a fire, before the fuse did it's job. That said your mains circuit should detect the earth and trip off. Still, better to check the label and be sure you are fitting the correct fuse. :wink:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Plugs

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:05 am

buzyg wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:04 pm It will say somewhere on your appliance, what it draws. 13amps is probably correct for a washing machine. But it is dangerous to assume such things. If the appliance where designed for a 7am fuse and a short occured then the appliance could over heat and cause a fire, before the fuse did it's job. That said your mains circuit should detect the earth and trip off. Still, better to check the label and be sure you are fitting the correct fuse. :wink:
Thanks Buzy, the standard moulded plug that comes with the washer/dryer is 13amp. I've tried to find out what the machine wattage is but can't seem to find it anywhere for some reason. Are you saying a socket rated at 13amps and 3100watts would not be up to the job. I don't think a washing machine would exceed 3000 watts :?

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Smart Plugs

Post by buzyg » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:00 am

If it came with a 13amp fuse fitted then your good. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Plugs

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks Buzy :thumbsup:

I'll have to pull the machine back.out anyways now and fit a hammer arrester as it makes a nice thud every 10 secs on the the drying cycle :x luckily it's fine when washing.

Tim.

RROB

Smart Plugs

Post by RROB » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:00 am

Not had much dealings with smart sockets but they are getting more popular
All as above info is fairly correct all I’ll say is long term use of higher loads such as washing machines etc can expose the quality build of the socket (ever seen them where the Live output on the bottom right is brown or lightly cracked ? )
But I’ll agree it’s designed for 13amp use and you shouldn’t initially have any issues unless manufacturers info say different.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Plugs

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:25 am

RROB wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:00 am Not had much dealings with smart sockets but they are getting more popular
All as above info is fairly correct all I’ll say is long term use of higher loads such as washing machines etc can expose the quality build of the socket (ever seen them where the Live output on the bottom right is brown or lightly cracked ? )
But I’ll agree it’s designed for 13amp use and you shouldn’t initially have any issues unless manufacturers info say different.
Thanks Rob, I tend to check behind the washing machine every so often, once a year just to ensure the water inlet hose hasn't worked loose so can check the plug, of course that doesn't mean to say nothing could happen in between.

Most of my sockets around the house have Hive plugs, I just find them quite useful in hard to reach areas behind the TV, sofa etc and syncing with Alexa is useful. I'm slightly paranoid leaving electrical stuff switched on and never leave anything on stand-by. I've seen the results of my neghbour some years back leaving a tv on standby in the kitchen and it went up in flames gutting the kitchen and smoke damaging the rest of the house. As it happened in the middle of the night he was lucky to get out alive. It took a year to put the house right again. The soot damage was quite an eye opener.

Tim.