Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Interesting way to sell a car

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:18 am

First off, I've no connection with these guys - just found a link to their site off a Pistonheads thread here;

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1800805

Basically looks like it works a bit like those BOTB stalls you see in airports - you're buying a raffle ticket for a car. These are all used cars though. I've no idea whether they're selling cars on behalf of the owners or whether they acquire the car and then raffle it, but a quick calculation shows that they'd be achieving top dollar, if they managed to sell all of the tickets allocated to each car.

https://dreamcargiveaways.co.uk/

I could be tempted by the NSX :driving:
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:53 am

I've seen this same kind of thing advertised on Facebook. One of the cars didn't get enough tickets bought for it, so they pulled the raffle and refunded people. Seems a bit harsh really.

It's a great deal if you manage to be a winner though :thumbsup:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:59 am

Seem to remember someone tried to sell their house this way but it wasn't allowed? Why is it OK to sell a car like this but not a house?
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:43 pm

The element of ‘skill’ (i.e. the qualifying question) means it isn’t run under the tighter lottery rules. But you have to be careful as if the question is too simple, then it can be argued that there is no skill required and it is just a lottery. So no question about how much 2+2 equals when the available answers are ‘4’, ‘yellow’, and ‘none of the above’.

There are lots of house sales using this method, but very few reach their target sales, and then there’s always arguing over how much of the money taken is returned due to ‘admin’ costs (i.e. paying the seller a wage to manage the sale; marketing costs; legal costs; etc.)

Some just offer a cash prize alternative, which is made up of the profits after costs, and a bit to charity.

The seller rarely loses out, even if their property doesn’t sell.

I’d assume the company running this isn’t doing it for free, so there’ll be some float built in, and I’m sure there’s no comeback if the car blows up 3 months down the line.

BoTB is the biggest name but they’re usually brand new cars, with warranty...and their skill-based tool is usually a spot-the-ball.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options