Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car Thefts Up 49%

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Car Thefts Up 49%

Post by ben g » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:59 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:03 pm
ben g wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:39 pm No one joy rides cars anymore, it's all stolen to order stuff and no one is asking for a rusty old banger :lol: :P
I hope you aren't suggesting Rusty has an old banger! :lol:

But I know what you mean about what gets targetted - it's usually newish cars, especially ones with keyless entry!
:lol: definitely not :rofl:

Our t keyless fiesta st got stolen from right outside my wife's workplace. Her office window was wide open and the car was parked on the pathway right next to it. She didn't hear a thing :cry:

We ended up with 2k in the bank (finance equity), but even so, it was added hassle we didn't need and her insurance premiums are sky high now :thumbsdown:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Car Thefts Up 49%

Post by Bing » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:44 am

So the conclusion is that your car is safest if you live on an island.

Oh wait a minute :lol:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Car Thefts Up 49%

Post by firebobby » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:51 am

We just bought a new (to us) Fiesta and while looking at different cars, we nearly bought a keyless car. So glad I dodged that bullet.

I think some vehicle manufacturers need a kick up the arse. Ford are terrible for their vehicle locks.
My works Transit and the whole fleet had to have security locks fitted, due to so many of them being broken into. Ford are aware, but do nothing and sit on their hands. :thumbsdown:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Car Thefts Up 49%

Post by Nictrix » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:58 am

Im sure I read something about carly being able to switch off keyless entry.
Would this stop car thieves or are they stealing them another way?
I thought the thieves were just piggy backing off your remote and unlocking using another fob.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Car Thefts Up 49%

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:08 am

Zedtastic wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 am
RustyZ4 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:35 pm I heard on the radio today (yes it was radio 4, I have got to that age) that car thefts in the last few years are up 49%, apparently this is due mainly to keyless entry cars and how easy it is to piggy back the key to open the car.
Having had use of a 2 series recently (bloody awful car) that was keyless, I cant really see why anyone would specify this as an option, im sure has its benefits for some, but with the risk of your car disappearing is it really worth that, I appreciate you can buy protection pouches etc to put the keys in, but the one night you forget is the most like the one night the thieving b***ards are out and about
Being a Radio 4 listener, it won't be long till you hear that 49% figure being analysed on More or Less. :D
:rofl: yes my namesake Tim Harford
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Sidewaze Samm

Car Thefts Up 49%

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:38 pm

Think my wife's new Mini has the best compromise - fob operated entry, and keyless start.
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Car Thefts Up 49%

Post by gannet » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:33 pm

Carly can turn it off on the latest MINI - mine has it (came with it I didnt spec it) but I havent disabled it. I do put the keys at night in a metal tin... problem I have with the pouches is - you might as well just not have the feature :roll: and the to use the car yourself you have to not only take the pouch out of your pocket, but then um take the key out of the pouch. really handy that one!
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Car Thefts Up 49%

Post by Angie4m » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:40 pm

A mate due to renew his M3 insurance in 5 weeks got an email yesterday telling him they want a tracker on the car or they won’t cover for theft. I spoke to the same insurance company today and although the M4 is 97 out of 100 they don’t require me to have a tracker.....yet!

The guy I spoke with was an absolute bafoon, he firstly told me that they only needed trackers on high performance and high value vehicles (clearly no idea what an M4 was) until he tried to do something to the quote and realised just how high up the scale on theft from 0-100 it was and he needed a supervisor to even try and cancel the policy :roll:

He banged on about how cars are stolen due to keyless entry and I said well I don’t have it but you don’t ask me that, the he said but they can use an extender and I then replied but I park away from my property so they couldn’t extend anything and in order to steal it they’d need the key and good luck working out which of the 70 odd properties I live in!

Surprised that insurance companies don’t ask if you have keyless entry or not and what kind of key store you have.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Car Thefts Up 49%

Post by TitanTim » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Personally there's a lot of internet hysteria over keyless entry, I have it on 140i and just find it convenient hence why I specced it, I would definitely have it again. I just keep the keys in a small signal blocker bag, job done. I would be more worried over car jacking or breaking into the house for the keys, but then I don't really worry about it :)

Tim.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Car Thefts Up 49%

Post by Ewazix » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:51 am

Keyless was one of those technologies that you just knew would end in tears and having to keep keys in a Faraday bag seems to undermine the marginal benefit of not pressing a fob (I think my thumb is up to it :wink: ). When I ordered my new Mini I avoided keyless entry and in all honesty don't see a huge benefit even with keyless starting.

The basic transponder key virtually killed off car thefts in the UK which had been rampant and many times above current figures in the 80's and 90's (I had an Astra nicked twice!). The "up 49%" is from a historic low and a success story so manufacturers need to think again.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

djstan

Car Thefts Up 49%

Post by djstan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:41 am

The main problem I have with keyless entry / keyless start, is where do you put the flipping key? It’s too bulky for my pocket, and there’s no ignition to slot it into so it goes into a storage cubby instead which, on occasion, I’ve forgotten to take it out of when I leave the car, and then can’t find it when I need it! :headbang:
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey