Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

F1 Documentary on Netflix

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
obewan

Post by obewan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 am

As per title, I've just come across the 'Drive to Survive' FI documentary series on Netflix
Anyone else seen it?
I've only watched the first two (of ten) but looks quite good

It follows the 2018 season - What really came across for me (it may be the camera angles or sound effects) was the energy/raw power of the sport. Not to mention the pressure/stress of a race weekend.
On Sky it all looks rather serene.

Also what was interesting was the radio traffic between the race engineers, team managers and drivers - the sort that would never be broadcast on a Sunday :wink:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

tee.gilding

Post by tee.gilding » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:57 am

I've only watched about 25 minutes of it last night, but already loving the content! Loving the behind-the-scenes content, which is definitely something you only see in very small doses on the TV coverage.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

Instagram: @stratus.z4coupe

Willzy

Post by Willzy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:15 am

Binged the whole thing last week in preparation for the Australian GP, its a fantastic series. I'm a big fan of the sport so to get the extra detail of what was going on last year was pretty amazing.

Also there must have got the documentary makers to some so pretty big NDA's as it seem like they knew about Ricardo's desire to move from Red Bull before Red Bull did, however that could have also been some clever editing.

Either way top series, I hope they do something like that for every year!

:D

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:23 am

11 seconds in and you can see me on the FL corner

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJPe1ksS6E#

Not been able to see the whole series yet...bit of clever and unclever editing but it’s been done well on the whole
Lotus Exige 350

obewan

Post by obewan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:17 am

Woots wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:23 am 11 seconds in and you can see me on the FL corner

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJPe1ksS6E#

Not been able to see the whole series yet...bit of clever and unclever editing but it’s been done well on the whole
I was wondering if you were in episode one - What a life! :)
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:34 pm

watched the first 3 episodes last night. really enjoyed them, the behind the scenes stuff is great. and I like that so far, they've focused on the teams and the battles in a race - sainz vs Alonso never crossed my mind at the time of the Spanish grand prix, but watching it back it was really interesting. same with the inter team battles at redbull during the Monaco grand prix.

very much looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes, especially considering the 2019 Australian grandprix was a bit dull.

stupot1

Post by stupot1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Watched the lot
Interesting insight into a cutthroat business.
Liked most of the drivers but if Max Verstappen had had a pop at me like he did Ocon (I think) ......... I'd have chinned him, no messing!
E86 Sapphire Black, Auto, 224's

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Yeah I watched it all at the weekend, Good watch :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:14 pm

obewan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 am . . .

It follows the 2018 season - What really came across for me (it may be the camera angles or sound effects) was the energy/raw power of the sport. Not to mention the pressure/stress of a race weekend.
On Sky it all looks rather serene.
. .
I haven't seen it yet - but I know what you're saying; I saw this first hand at my one and only Grand Prix at Silverstone years ago: On TV the cars seem to glide round the circuit, smooth and controlled - in the metal you can smell the oil hear the raw from the engines and see the cars shaking and bouncing as they are driven to the limits.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Marlon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:14 pm On TV the cars seem to glide round the circuit, smooth and controlled - in the metal you can smell the oil hear the raw from the engines and see the cars shaking and bouncing as they are driven to the limits.
Agree totally. I've only been to 3 GPs; Silverstone a few years ago, the first time the current circuit layout was used, and a couple of times at Brands Hatch 3 decades ago. Like any of the faster motorsports formulae, the impression of absolute speed and energy is totally lost on the screen.
Anyone who considers themselves a fan of F1 - or, alternatively, thinks there's not much to driving in a procession, round and round - must go to at least one GP.
And have at least a 'trial session' in a single seater as a birthday present :driving: Doing both of those would give a lot of people a lot more insight to what's involved.
Maybe even volunteer to be a marshal. I used to marshal at Oulton Park and it can be great fun. You get to be closer to the action than spectators, involved in things, and get in for free. Strongest memory? - standing about four feet in from the apex at the old Kickerbrook as Rickard Rydell passed "flat in fifth" (his words), to set a new F3000 lap record. Painfully deafening!!!
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

obewan

Post by obewan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:46 pm
Marlon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:14 pm On TV the cars seem to glide round the circuit, smooth and controlled - in the metal you can smell the oil hear the raw from the engines and see the cars shaking and bouncing as they are driven to the limits.
Agree totally. I've only been to 3 GPs; Silverstone a few years ago, the first time the current circuit layout was used, and a couple of times at Brands Hatch 3 decades ago. Like any of the faster motorsports formulae, the impression of absolute speed and energy is totally lost on the screen.
Anyone who considers themselves a fan of F1 - or, alternatively, thinks there's not much to driving in a procession, round and round - must go to at least one GP.
And have at least a 'trial session' in a single seater as a birthday present :driving: Doing both of those would give a lot of people a lot more insight to what's involved.
Maybe even volunteer to be a marshal. I used to marshal at Oulton Park and it can be great fun. You get to be closer to the action than spectators, involved in things, and get in for free. Strongest memory? - standing about four feet in from the apex at the old Kickerbrook as Rickard Rydell passed "flat in fifth" (his words), to set a new F3000 lap record. Painfully deafening!!!

I Know what you guys mean - I've attended a few GP (Silverstone and Spa). I also used to marshall on the RAC/Lombard rally through Grizedale Forest. Showing my age now!
Those were the days, a 5 day rally that actually went round the country. The speed of the top 10 in Group B cars was ridiculous. Not to mention the addictive smell of hot oil :wink:

I also remember having a 20min Dad/lads race at a half decent Go-Kart track near Chester. I was absolutely knackered at the end of it and my arms ached for days - Don't think I'm cut out to be a F1 driver :lol:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:19 pm

I was at Spa last year, and I thought the Formula Two cars were better...louder, flames from the exhausts, closer racing, etc.

The F1 seemed a bit dull in comparison :tumbleweed:

I also used to marshal (still got my probans and BMMC membership) at Oulton, Anglesey, Curborough, Aintree, Donington, and Loton Park (hillclimb) - so have track & sprint badges - and I’m not a bad at flagging I’ve been told.

Working away from home for the last few years have meant I’ve not done any for quite a while though :thumbsdown:

I much prefer to marshal the ‘club’ events and the historics.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

obewan

Post by obewan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:31 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:19 pm I was at Spa last year, and I thought the Formula Two cars were better...louder, flames from the exhausts, closer racing, etc.

The F1 seemed a bit dull in comparison.
I was there in 1998 (proper engines :D ) the year of the huge crash at the start and Schuey 'running' into the back of Coulthard.
We took loads of sun cream and it pi$$ed down all day!
At one point we were stood at the 100m board at Les Combes (after the Kemmel Straight) the cars were still on full throttle when they passed us before braking hard and turning almost 90 degrees right - amazing to watch

We also stood at the top of Eau Rouge, as at that time you could stand next to the armco. Didn't stay long, the noise reverberating in your chest actually hurt :o
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up looks good :thumbsup:

Agree with comments above motorsport is best served live been going since 87 did a few F1 events back in the days when they hurt your ears :D also got to experience Le -Mans in 95 when you could lean over a small fence as the cars exit the Esses superb and also managed to get into the footpath that runs next to the tyre wall during the night the year Bentley won amazing the cars so close coming out of the pits I could have touched them such a shame its so quiet these days.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:58 pm

Good spot. I can feel a Netflix F1 binge coming on. :)