Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Eurotunnel queries

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
mjennings23

Eurotunnel queries

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Morning all.

Taking the Z on a French adventure this year and it's my first time taking the Z abroad, also the first time using the train. So a couple of queries...

When I was booking I mentioned that it was a sports car with low ground clearance, the advisor helpfully said that they'd book it in as a high vehicle so to assign me to the single level decks and avoid any issues with embarking. Now, I assume this means I just follow the signs in the terminals for vehicles over 1.85m high and ignore the car lanes?

Second, I assume it works a lot like Eurostar in that customs checks are done before embarking both sides so getting off is as simple as driving off and away you go.

Third, sort of related. Any decent pub food near Folkestone? :rofl: We are travelling on a Sunday with a 8:30pm departure or similar, so planning to take our time driving down and eating en route, then staying in a hotel in Calais for the night

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Eurotunnel queries

Post by mmm-five » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:25 pm

No need for low clearance either, as the overhangs on a zed are not particularly long.

Never had a problem on ferries, Eurotunnel, or tight & twisty car parks (my mate with a Skyline however has spent 2 hours trying to reaffix his carbon front spoiler in a car park in Liege).

Customs is similar to the ferry, everything done beforehand at the booths - but that was pre-Brexit, so post-Brexit experience might be completely different and may take much longer than the normal 5 minutes).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

mjennings23

Eurotunnel queries

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:00 pm

mmm-five wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:25 pm No need for low clearance either, as the overhangs on a zed are not particularly long.

Never had a problem on ferries, Eurotunnel, or tight & twisty car parks (my mate with a Skyline however has spent 2 hours trying to reaffix his carbon front spoiler in a car park in Liege).

Customs is similar to the ferry, everything done beforehand at the booths - but that was pre-Brexit, so post-Brexit experience might be completely different and may take much longer than the normal 5 minutes).
Figured it wasn't much of an issue, but upon reading it seems the single level coaches have a wider vehicle pathway so much less chance of pranging an alloy on the metal kerbs. It was also the exact same price so nothing lost.

ShaunKC

Eurotunnel queries

Post by ShaunKC » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:16 pm

I went on the Eurotunnel and hit the metal curbs, i would definitely go for the wider option in the future as they are very unforgiving! :headbang:

Previous: Z4C 2007 Montego Blue // Current: Z4MC 2008 Sepang Bronze // Instagram: ayorkshirechap

mjennings23

Eurotunnel queries

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Exactly my consideration. Especially as it's the same price, I see no reason to not book in as a high vehicle should I ever go again.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Eurotunnel queries

Post by mmm-five » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:17 pm

I've not had a problem with the 'bumpers' in either the Z4 or the M5.

I suppose if you've got stupidly low profile tyres (e.g. 265/30 or something) then you may risk hitting the wheel - otherwise the worst that will happen is the tyre will rub slightly, which won't cause any damage at the speed you'll be going.
Trigger’s Z4MC

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Eurotunnel queries

Post by Jembo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:38 pm

The pros of going in the over 1.85m height is the width of these carriages, the downside is the running boards between the carriages often are more rutty given the heavier vehicles which use them, so just drive slowly there.

Avoid Bank Holidays as often it’s worse than rush hour on the M25 & a total meltdown.

However,
- I’ve found the staff on both sides very helpful & accomodating, unless they catch you queue jumping your letter...
- off peak from Folkestone is after 16:15 & before 5am, Calais after midnight & before 14:00
- you can normally change your crossing times for free within the same charge band, pay extra during peak times
- boarding & crossing compared to a ferry is night & day... a far easier experience
- the ‘duty rip off’ for booze should be avoided
- there’s a nice Leon fast food restaurant in the terminal @ Folkestone, though not the cheapest
- if u plan to do 5 or more crossings in a year, the frequent traveller tickets are bargains if ur cleaver with your travel times

Some rolling stock is showing its age, though travel off peak & 95% of the time it’s really easy
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

mjennings23

Eurotunnel queries

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Jembo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:38 pm The pros of going in the over 1.85m height is the width of these carriages, the downside is the running boards between the carriages often are more rutty given the heavier vehicles which use them, so just drive slowly there.

Avoid Bank Holidays as often it’s worse than rush hour on the M25 & a total meltdown.

However,
- I’ve found the staff on both sides very helpful & accomodating, unless they catch you queue jumping your letter...
- off peak from Folkestone is after 16:15 & before 5am, Calais after midnight & before 14:00
- you can normally change your crossing times for free within the same charge band, pay extra during peak times
- boarding & crossing compared to a ferry is night & day... a far easier experience
- the ‘duty rip off’ for booze should be avoided
- there’s a nice Leon fast food restaurant in the terminal @ Folkestone, though not the cheapest
- if u plan to do 5 or more crossings in a year, the frequent traveller tickets are bargains if ur cleaver with your travel times

Some rolling stock is showing its age, though travel off peak & 95% of the time it’s really easy
Appreciate the advice. As for times, I'm travelling to France on a late crossing, 20:30 I believe but possibly later, and a Sunday night at that. Return is 9:30ish on a Friday morning so hopefully I should miss all the queues

road warrior

Eurotunnel queries

Post by road warrior » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:00 pm

if they offer the lower level take it, you will find all sorts use it small vans to trucks but to be honest they separate you anyway.. we go with the motorhome, and never travelled with the large trucks, its wide downstairs just go easy over the 2in humps, we go twice a year to france, as for late crossing, that aint late, we use midnight onwards, but we dont need accomodation :) i advise a 6am crossing for you. you will find it busy at all hours but best then. 930 return will throw you into rush hours traffic m25 /m26, again we plan for 11am sunday morning returns - have fun !
also, if you want to change dates/times they are always very amenable,
tricks.. if you get there early and want a train, just get in the queue - you will find again they dont mind.
if your late, dont worry about that either, they will put you on the next one and simply put you in the queue.
thr chunnel is wonderful , and i wouldnt use the damn ferry if you paid ME ! :D
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Eurotunnel queries

Post by GAZA62 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Took my Z over to France a few times think last time I went was 2011 Le Mans trip just went on the normal car train never new you could book the wider coach carriage but did end up in this once on the normal car train but have used both floors with no probs just watch that metal kerb as said.

As for Customs going over to France :rofl: not been since 2011 but i never showed my passport on Le Mans trips from 2008 to 2011 I would like to think its a bit more secure these days
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Eurotunnel queries

Post by Jembo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:33 am

They used to be quite lax on the way out then - totally different now.

Trust you know you can’t carry too much cash most places in Europe, they will confiscate it under anti-money laundering laws.

Lifer 54

mjennings23

Eurotunnel queries

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:12 am

6am trains? Balls to that idea! :rofl:

Probably will hit some traffic on the return as we get off the train around 9:40am but it shouldn't be too bad. I also adamantly want to get past Birmingham before the Friday afternoon rush starts building, so I'm not moving that any later.

As I said, my ticket has the car classified as "over 1.85m" so I just follow those signs and ignore the typical car flow. In terms of cash, well accomodation etc is all sorted, we're spending 5 days with the Mrs' gran anyway, beyond that we're taking about €300 cash and the rest on cards. Quite handy having a bank card with no charges on foreign currency!

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Eurotunnel queries

Post by MrPT » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:52 am

Some good advice on here. Agree that whether you're late, on time or early, it's generally a pretty stress free experience. We were caught up in half term delays coming back this year and everything was well-managed on both sides of the channel. Keep an eye on Brexit developments, however!
mmm-five wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:17 pm I suppose if you've got stupidly low profile tyres (e.g. 265/30 or something)...
I know you aren't calling lots of people on here stupid; you are just calling their tyres stupid. :D

FWIW, I agree. I know they are the "official" CSL sizes, but when you work out the sidewall heights you realise that 265/30 puts us in an elite club of Civic Type R (witchcraft), Aventador special editions etc.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Eurotunnel queries

Post by mmm-five » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:33 am

MrPT wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:52 am Some good advice on here. Agree that whether you're late, on time or early, it's generally a pretty stress free experience. We were caught up in half term delays coming back this year and everything was well-managed on both sides of the channel. Keep an eye on Brexit developments, however!
mmm-five wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:17 pm I suppose if you've got stupidly low profile tyres (e.g. 265/30 or something)...
I know you aren't calling lots of people on here stupid; you are just calling their tyres stupid. :D

FWIW, I agree. I know they are the "official" CSL sizes, but when you work out the sidewall heights you realise that 265/30 puts us in an elite club of Civic Type R (witchcraft), Aventador special editions etc.
It’s what I was running on my CSL wheels and was forever scratching/rubbing them despite being sure I’d been nowhere near a kerb. I blame the lack of rim protector on the PS2 tyres.
Trigger’s Z4MC

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Eurotunnel queries

Post by Jembo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:04 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:33 am
MrPT wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:52 am Some good advice on here. Agree that whether you're late, on time or early, it's generally a pretty stress free experience. We were caught up in half term delays coming back this year and everything was well-managed on both sides of the channel. Keep an eye on Brexit developments, however!

It’s what I was running on my CSL wheels and was forever scratching/rubbing them despite being sure I’d been nowhere near a kerb. I blame the lack of rim protector on the PS2 tyres.
I had a car like that ... mine was down to Mrs Jembo’s use once every so often - now on a total Z ban

Lifer 54