Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Matty_Z4

Parking

Post by Matty_Z4 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:00 am

I was parked at the airport the other night and when I came back from my flight my car was sandwiched between two very nice cars. To my right was a very nice Mercedes V8 Bi-Turbo and to my left was a nice looking BMW (new to the brand no idea if it was 3/5 or 7 series) but you get the idea.

I was parked on the 7th floor (one down from the roof) and pretty much by the lifts, I park up on the top floors because there is less likely people will park next to me and I park by the lifts because I'm lazy. Bearing in mind this is a 2005 E85 that hasn't been cleaned for about 1000 miles.

This got me thinking a little bit because I have noticed that similar things happen when I'm about town, I will park the opposite end of the carpark but in a mildly convenient location and when I come back there is nearly always someone next to me in a fairly modern relatively expensive car (compared to the Zed), It never used to be like this when I drove a Skoda.

I wonder do these guys park there for the same reason I do and use the logic that as I'm in a Zed I'm more likely to take car of my car and not dink theirs.

What are peoples opinions of touching doors, if someone is parked a tad too close is it acceptable to touch doors (not open deliberately into their car) I mean gently open with car as your getting in. I normally put my fingers on the door edge so there is something soft and flesh between my car and theirs as not to cause a dent.
Last edited by Matty_Z4 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 E85 3.0i

road warrior

Parking

Post by road warrior » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:35 am

Yes I'm very carefully placing my car and do an analysis like yours on likely kinds of owners, I never park next to a van or sh***y car. And park away when possible and walk a little further. When in busy parking places I always get paranoid. And as we have such a tiny car i can never see it on returning to the car park so always wonder if it's been knicked. :o
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

BeeEmm

Parking

Post by BeeEmm » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:42 am

Matty_Z4 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:00 am I normally put my fingers on the door edge so there is something soft and flesh between my car
Yep! that's loving your car.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Parking

Post by ben g » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:51 pm

I once parked up at a popular walking spot and when I got back to my Z4, I had a brand new Skoda wedged up next to my driver's door. There was just enough of a gap for me to squeeze into my car, whilst pressing my door onto his bodywork.

It left a mark on their shiny new car, but I couldn't really care less. They must have known how close they were when they parked up, to the point they probably got out through the passengers side door.

I've also had the same problem when parked right at the back of a supermarket car park. No one else was there when I turned up. 15 mins later I had a brand new Jaguar parked next to me.

I really don't understand what goes through these peoples' minds?
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

obewan

Parking

Post by obewan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Yep, do all that :)
Avoid 4x4's, cars with child seats, sheds, delivery vans................
Also wherever possible if I have to use a car I park I try to find an end bay and park on the passenger side of the other car
There's always a driver but not necessarily a passenger :wink:
One less risk of a dink
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Parking

Post by buzyg » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:27 pm

The Fiat Coupe I used to drive as a daily, had fiber glass doors. Caught in the wrong light they were covered in tiny indentations, where dickwads had open their doors with no consideration. :thumbsdown: The Zed is a weekend Queen and gets parked as far away from the entrance to any car park as I can manage. For exactly the reasons above. :thumbsup:

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Parking

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:57 pm

I have been known to drive in and out of a car park, if I cant get a reasonable space, if I park at a supermarket always at the furthest distance from the store, as I reckon anyone parking there is in the same frame of mind,
It has crossed my mind to put a bay seat in, so I can use the wide parking bays :evil:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

stupot1

Parking

Post by stupot1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:41 pm

I was in B&Q car park yesterday, I parked well away from anyone..and came back to a knackered old Jag/Mondeo! Parked next to me. I raised my arms and said a few choice...I don't believe it's! Got in the car and made a phone call. A few minutes later a pair of really...really old farts got back to their car, the woman opened the passenger door into mine! I got out and told her what she'd done, she point blank denied it, I said I was sat in the bloody car, she wouldn't even look at me, just kept denying it!!
The pair of them were well in their 80s, I didn't know what else to say so I just drove off!
A few minor scratches on my door, but for Christ's sake! Luckily 'in a way ' I was in my daily Volvo, but not a lot I could, if I'd been in the Zed, it may have been a different story!
E86 Sapphire Black, Auto, 224's

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Parking

Post by paddy wright » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:50 pm

I always follow all these rules but found a huge ding on my X5 rear door tonight! :headbang: £60 odd quid down the drain due to some inconsiderate a-hole!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Parking

Post by Chris_D » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:59 pm

My good ladyfriend Laura is The Queen of defensive parking. We should all follow by her example.... :lol:
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0546.JPG (205.13 KiB) Viewed 674 times
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG (323.14 KiB) Viewed 674 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

NickDE

Parking

Post by NickDE » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:05 pm

Chris_D wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:59 pm My good ladyfriend Laura is The Queen of defensive parking. We should all follow by her example.... :lol:
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
Nordwijk ?
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Parking

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:12 pm

If I ever park my Z4 in a car park I always park miles from anyone, but invariably find some old shed (usually an SUV, 4 x 4 or Transit) about a foot from the driver's door. :headbang:

So I try to only use car parks in my daily - it still happens, but I'm not so bothered!

I think Laura may be over-doing it slightly - that car park is deserted anyway!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Parking

Post by Chris_D » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:21 pm

NickDE wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:05 pm
Chris_D wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:59 pm My good ladyfriend Laura is The Queen of defensive parking. We should all follow by her example.... :lol:
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
Nordwijk ?
Close. Bloemendaal :wink:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

road warrior

Parking

Post by road warrior » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:21 pm

obewan wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:41 pm Yep, do all that :)
Avoid 4x4's, cars with child seats, sheds, delivery vans................
Also wherever possible if I have to use a car I park I try to find an end bay and park on the passenger side of the other car
There's always a driver but not necessarily a passenger :wink:
One less risk of a dink

i hear you, but have found passengers who often dont have a car and not aware of the pain give even a less rats arse about your car or even the car they are travelling in. kids dont give a s**t about anybodies car, or grannies or indeed most passengers.
:o
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.