Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Credit Card Fraud

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by ronk » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:51 pm

Just had a text and a call from my credit card provider to ask me about two big payments on my card - Both were fraudulent!
Somehow the scumbags have been able to get £3.5k of goods - Fortunately they've been rumbled so it looks like only the merchants are out of pocket.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Credit Card Fraud

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:59 pm

You were lucky your card provider was paying attention! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by firebobby » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:03 pm

Scum bags, glad you didn't have to take the hit Ron. Frightening how these sh1tes can get into accounts :|
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Credit Card Fraud

Post by buzyg » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:04 pm

There out there all he time trying to rob you. So glad it as nipped in he bud.

IRD

Credit Card Fraud

Post by IRD » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:11 pm

Glad you got it sorted quickly. Happened to me last year. I rarely use my card but somehow they got the number and bought a couple of grands worth of bikes from Halfords. Gives you a bit of a shock. :poke:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by ronk » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:21 pm

I got two texts from the provider and a phone call on the land line . At first i thought it was a scam so contacted them directly from the tel number on the back of the card - They needed to know a a few details and were able to stop my card and my wife's card also.
They've removed the charges from my account once I told them it wasn't me or my wife - Top marks for seeing an out of the ordinary spend. It looks like they bought a wedding bash and a holiday, so fortunately the merchants will be able to cancel and not incur any costs either.
Police and credit card fraud department are now involved. :thumbsup:

It seems that they get info from hacked business accounts - so no amount or personal safety will prevent it completely.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Credit Card Fraud

Post by buzyg » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:28 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:21 pm I got two texts from the provider and a phone call on the land line . At first i thought it was a scam so contacted them directly from the tel number on the back of the card - They needed to know a a few details and were able to stop my card and my wife's card also.
They've removed the charges from my account once I told them it wasn't me or my wife - Top marks for seeing an out of the ordinary spend. It looks like they bought a wedding bash and a holiday, so fortunately the merchants will be able to cancel and not incur any costs either.
Police and credit card fraud department are now involved. :thumbsup:

It seems that they get info from hacked business accounts - so no amount or personal safety will prevent it completely.
What sort of dim wit buys future services with stolen credit card details. :?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by ronk » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:40 pm

I just hope they haven't used my name!
Fraud and theft is one thing to be accused of - but BIGOMY! :rofl:

Vonlipvig

Credit Card Fraud

Post by Vonlipvig » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:45 am

Fair play to the credit card company. I had my details stolen from a small site that had their database hacked. It was the only place I had used that card so let them know and they were able to find the malicious entry to stop anymore people being impacted.

The thing that got me is the person who took the card details bought bloody insurance with it! Must be about the easiest thing to track back to someone. We deserve a better class of criminal than that surely
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Crazy Harry

Credit Card Fraud

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:27 am

I'm now on my third credit card in four weeks. First card (of twenty odd years) cancelled by the bank because they correctly spotted a fraudulent spend. Replacement card used by me on only three occasions where it never went online or left my hand but had a small online payment made - not mine so card changed by the bank again and £9.99 refunded (did you know banks don't investigate under £10). Of the three merchants paid on the second card two were small shops local to me. The third payment was to a national firm via a hand held reader to their technician. By coincidence I also paid the same firm the same way a couple of weeks before the first card was compromised. Can't prove anything but told them I think they've been hacked but they didn't appear bothered.

AlienZed

Credit Card Fraud

Post by AlienZed » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:08 pm

I had a similar issue some fkkr enjoyed two long haul flights on my card .
I spotted it and contacted them got a full refund ,glad to say .The credit card providers wouldnt tell me of the outcome ie did they catch the fkkrs.
Data protection an all that s**t.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:25 pm

88 views on this thread and already 5 separate fraud posts, maybe even more if some of the viewers had posted as well......that’s a hell of a strike rate....just shows how much these scumbags are getting.... :o :x
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by Ewazix » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:44 pm

AlienZed wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:08 pm I had a similar issue some fkkr enjoyed two long haul flights on my card .
I spotted it and contacted them got a full refund ,glad to say .The credit card providers wouldnt tell me of the outcome ie did they catch the fkkrs.
Data protection an all that s**t.
My daughter is on her third card in 9 months, unfortunately card spending often rolls forward to your new card on the same account and it's groundhog day. Unfortunately the card companies do Jack' about investigating this now and just pass on the losses, in your example someone taking an international flight is about as identifiable as it gets, but I 100% guarantee nothing has been done. It's utter madness :x
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by ronk » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:41 pm

We are all paying for this one way or another - My Provider say they have a mobile app - not for spending on but it pings the phone when the card is used.

Crazy Harry

Credit Card Fraud

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:02 pm

The banks and merchants are introducing a system where online payments have to be confirmed via a code which the merchant sends by SMS to a mobile number provided by your bank which is linked to your card - happy days for us boys with poor mobile signal. Don't know how this would help where cards are cloned though