Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Credit Card Fraud

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:49 pm

Problem is, these turds find another way to hack the system.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:06 pm

How are you storing your cards? I keep all of mine in an RFID case. Card details can easily be cloned in a flash if someone is close to you and can read the card. Same with your car keys if you have comfort access so keep my fobs in blocking pouch when at home.

Tim.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:21 pm

I had a renewed cc stolen in the post when sent to me from UK to Holland.
fkrs went on a spending spree in Belgium and finished their taxing shopping day with a pizza! cheeky barstewards!
replacement card was sent via exact same unsecure way through normal post.
sometimes i think the cc companies are asking for trouble...
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

JimsZ

Credit Card Fraud

Post by JimsZ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:22 pm

Same here... card cloned after a visit to London last week.

Spotted the first attempted transaction a couple of days later and stopped them straightaway B%Rstewards the lot of them :x

Thankfully not out of pocket
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by ronk » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:56 pm

Ive just had my Card Statement and found that the cheeky buggers have also charged Amazon Prime to my card!
Amazon have sent me a confirmation of the fraud activity very quickly :thumbsup: and the card provider have added it to the list.

It seems they dipped a toe into the water early Jan then went for the big ones at the end of Jan.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by Ewazix » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:38 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:56 pm Ive just had my Card Statement and found that the cheeky buggers have also charged Amazon Prime to my card!
Amazon have sent me a confirmation of the fraud activity very quickly :thumbsup: and the card provider have added it to the list.

It seems they dipped a toe into the water early Jan then went for the big ones at the end of Jan.
This is exactly what's been happening on my daughter's card, she's had 9 months of having to renew cards. Fraudulent introductory period pro-mo subscriptions etc delay the provider making the charge for weeks or months and roll forward on to the new card, time and again the new card then gets blocked. Sadly you may have a way to go.... :(
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by ronk » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:24 pm

Ewazix wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:38 pm
ronk wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:56 pm Ive just had my Card Statement and found that the cheeky buggers have also charged Amazon Prime to my card!

This is exactly what's been happening on my daughter's card, she's had 9 months of having to renew cards. Fraudulent introductory period pro-mo subscriptions etc delay the provider making the charge for weeks or months and roll forward on to the new card, time and again the new card then gets blocked. Sadly you may have a way to go.... :(
Great! :(
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by ben g » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:52 pm

How is it still happening after renewing her cards?

I've had my cards cloned twice. Both times the banks have been hot on it. New card posted out and all sorted.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by Number5 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:03 pm

I had my credit card stolen recently but I haven't reported the theft yet.

- I thought I'd leave it a while as they're using it far less than my wife does :rofl:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by GAZA62 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Number5 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:03 pm I had my credit card stolen recently but I haven't reported the theft yet.

- I thought I'd leave it a while as they're using it far less than my wife does :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by Ewazix » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:48 pm

ben g wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:52 pm

I've had my cards cloned twice. Both times the banks have been hot on it. New card posted out and all sorted.
Because a payment is set up for the future on your account, via a card, the charge is still carried forward to your account even if the card number has changed. It's a loophole which scum bags are using particularly with things like Netflix subscriptions with an introductory period where you don't pay during the trial period, then the charge kicks in after 3 months for example. For some reason the card issuers (like Barclays in my daughter's case) can't seem to differentiate between the cancelled card and new one, then just knee-jerk and block the new card. Crap system
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by enzed4 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:14 am

Crazy Harry wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:02 pm The banks and merchants are introducing a system where online payments have to be confirmed via a code which the merchant sends by SMS to a mobile number provided by your bank which is linked to your card - happy days for us boys with poor mobile signal. Don't know how this would help where cards are cloned though
If the card is cloned, the confirmation txt will still be sent to your mobile when they purchase something with the cloned card, so you would be notified that something fishy was going on.
Two factor authentication would pretty much kill this fraud but banks have been unwilling to tighten things up as they know customers get angry at the extra 'hassle' and may switch accounts to another 'easier' bank to deal with. It's easy to be so casual about it when you're making hundreds of millions in profit each year (and if you don't, the govt will bail you out anyway.... :headbang: )
Some banks are offering this as a option. It takes a few seconds to confirm your purchase, and then you're done. However, as was pointed out above, I'm not sure how you would get around poor mobile coverage for this to work?
On a related note, if you're ever travelling overseas don't forget to let your credit card company know before you go, otherwise you might find your transactions and card automatically cancelled when you start using it in another country.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by firebobby » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:24 am

Number5 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:03 pm I had my credit card stolen recently but I haven't reported the theft yet.

:rofl: :lol:
Your lucky she doesn't read this Alan :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Credit Card Fraud

Post by ben g » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Ewazix wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:48 pm
ben g wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:52 pm
Ewazix wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:38 pm This is exactly what's been happening on my daughter's card, she's had 9 months of having to renew cards. Fraudulent introductory period pro-mo subscriptions etc delay the provider making the charge for weeks or months and roll forward on to the new card, time and again the new card then gets blocked. Sadly you may have a way to go.... :(

Because a payment is set up for the future on your account, via a card, the charge is still carried forward to your account even if the card number has changed. It's a loophole which scum bags are using particularly with things like Netflix subscriptions with an introductory period where you don't pay during the trial period, then the charge kicks in after 3 months for example. For some reason the card issuers (like Barclays in my daughter's case) can't seem to differentiate between the cancelled card and new one, then just knee-jerk and block the new card. Crap system
But that would then be an account issue, so best to close the account and start a new one, otherwise as you said, you'll always have problems as the account numbers will always be the same.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.