Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Portable Jump Starters - Any good?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:34 pm

My Z4 had a new battery in December 2016, but when I used it on Monday it wasn't too keen to start. :o

I hadn't used it for a week, but it has sat longer than that before!

Anyway I wondered about a solar charger, but the time of year it's going to need charging there isn't usually much sun. :( And as I've no garage I can't use a mains charger. :x

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking of:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/12000mAh-Porta ... RID=2A1QX0

So I'd welcome any feedback anyone may be able to give from using these sort of devices. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Beatman

Post by Beatman » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:02 am

I've got one, can't remember the make, (out in the wife's car). But works everytime, and holds charge for months.
Also good to run small devices from.
:thumbsup:
My Car- 2004 3.0se sterling grey, mv3s , satnav, heated seats, ZHP.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:46 am

Looking at the thickness of the leads I think it would help a Low Battery but not a flat battery as its ability to start any car is limited to the amount of current the cable can carry.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

bladeowner

Post by bladeowner » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:00 am

I've got a similar one. Only had to use it once (due to my fault) but it started the car fine from a flat battery.
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:46 pm

I've been given this one to review on vine, hard to fully test it as don't have a car with a flat battery but hopefully one day will come in use.

Imazing Portable Car Jump Starter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H263BF7/ ... sCbCQTGSGM

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:55 pm

I've got a lead acid based one from good old Maplin (RIP) I used if for starting my boat after it had been lying up over the winter months. I've used it a couple of times for the Z4 and once for my Freelander 2 when I left the lights on by mistake.

Works fine, charge it once a year or so and it holds charge fine in my garage till I drag it out again. Mine also has a built in air compressor for tyres and a work light for dark evenings and a USB port to charge your iPhone!

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Phone-Ch ... jump+packs

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:34 pm

My dads got the all singing and dancing halfords jumper starter with compressor and 240v inverter, its big though and weighs a ton. The portal units are the size of a small book.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:08 pm

un1eash wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:46 pm I've been given this one to review on vine, hard to fully test it as don't have a car with a flat battery but hopefully one day will come in use.

Imazing Portable Car Jump Starter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H263BF7/ ... sCbCQTGSGM
I wish I had known - I could have tested it for you a couple of weeks ago when the battery in my E91 died! :(

Oh well, it looks like it'll be worthwhile getting one - the Z4 battery shouldn't ever be flat, just a bit discharged. I prefer not to use it when the roads have been salted, and anyway I put winters on the E91 for those conditions!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:14 pm

:D
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:29 am

Not completely relevant but, I have always regarded jump starting the worst option as it puts a lot of strain on things, (and gives Christmas lights too) so I prefer a booster situation, I have a 20amp battery charger with home made extension leads that will pick up a battery in 15/30 mins enough to start the car. And my blue zed now sits on an auto battery conditioner with extended leads. I also keep topped up a spare battery for more urgent needs with some serious jump leads for a faster transfusion of power.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:16 pm

I would try and stop the battery from going flat in the first place. Once it's gone flat a few times you'll probably have to get a new one.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 pm

I know a charger would be better, but like I said at the beginning that isn't an option!

To get power to it from my house the lead would have to go half-way along my front garden and across 2 neighbours' allocated spaces. Seeing as everyone from neighbours to postmen to take-away menu deliverers walk across my garden as a short-cut to the next house in the road, it'd only be a matter of time before one of the cheeky f*ckers tripped over it! :headbang:

So it looks like solar charger and power pack for a belt and braces approach. :lol:

And just use it more anyway!
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:54 am

Under the assumption you don't have power drain somewhere a solar panel will be fine.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:33 am

If there are spells where the car isn't being used much then I would have thought it would be much better using a battery conditioner such as CTEK regularly than leaving the car to sit with the battery discharging and then trying to kick it back into life with a jump starter, I imagine it will kill the battery much sooner doing it that way.

My Z3s battery lasted 13years using a CTEK charger when the car wasn't used much.

Tim.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:38 am

Yes Tim but Mr tidy had already explained he can't provide mains hence the convo about Alternative power :thumbsup: