Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Portable Jump Starters - Any good?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:57 am

I am a big fan of solar power, as its very effective in a trickle charging way, I even have it on my roof!.
As folk will be aware it's not as good in the winter time, but it still works, if it's light, there is a trickle and that's all we need.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:27 pm

road warrior wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:57 am I am a big fan of solar power, as its very effective in a trickle charging way, I even have it on my roof!.
As folk will be aware it's not as good in the winter time, but it still works, if it's light, there is a trickle and that's all we need.
I get about 1Kw in the winter when it's bright - The house uses 350w ticking over.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:45 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:27 pm
road warrior wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:57 am I am a big fan of solar power, as its very effective in a trickle charging way, I even have it on my roof!.
I get about 1Kw in the winter when it's bright - The house uses 350w ticking over.
Well, no laughing, as was also stuck in a similar situation & bought a £14.99 solar charger from ALDI back in July... with some reviews saying it was brilliant, others it killed the battery in a day I though WTF.

Test 1, 4 weeks in sunny August, ((I always prime the fuel pump twice), started strongly first time... happy days

Test 2, End Sept (SORN) - beginning of Jan... expecting the worst, double FP prime, couple of strong turns & up she started... gobsmacked

Personally, I believe the charge / overnight discharge the solar panel provides mimicks daily use, which is far better for the battery, so +1 for my cheapo solar charger...
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:34 pm

road warrior wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:38 am Yes Tim but Mr tidy had already explained he can't provide mains hence the convo about Alternative power :thumbsup:
Ah ok, try using a long cable :lol: :)

Tim.