Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Define a sports car, clear this up.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:09 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:56 pm
brillomaster wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:00 pm I think convertible or fixed roof matters not. I think important things are 2 seats maximum, 2 doors maximum, predominantly rwd, under 1500kgs. any 2+2 is a sports GT at best. any 4 door is a sports saloon at best. a 2 seat, 2 door car over 1500 kgs is a GT.
I like that definition - after all whether you had a DHC or FHC E-Type it was still a sports car! But the weight limit might mean F-Types are GTs! :lol:

And maybe 911s are "sports GTs" - surely there is nothing wrong with that?
And ///M3s etc are sports taxis. Sorry I meant sports saloons of course. :poke:

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:04 am

2 seats no roof.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Capa

Post by Capa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:08 pm

Mmm, I largely agree with the chap who's comparing them to GT cars.

I think gearing comes into it as well as weight. All contribute to an idea of responsiveness.

If it's something with short ratios and hard suspension that isn't really suitable for long journeys, it's gotta fall in the sports car category. My back dictates that the e86 falls into this category...
E86 | Stratus Grey

montymog

Post by montymog » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 pm

2 seats soft top sculptured and crafted wood dashboard and straight 6 power plant pulling with rwd pushing !
e85 3.0si monaco metallic extended oregon cream leather.m seats all electric with heating and extensions.m multifunction s/wheel reverse sensors.light maple wood trim m suspension ect.ect. running on eagle f1 assy 3s

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:08 pm

montymog wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 pm 2 seats soft top sculptured and crafted wood dashboard and straight 6 power plant pulling with rwd pushing !
So true....:happyclap:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

unknownz4

Post by unknownz4 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:31 pm

montymog wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 pm 2 seats soft top sculptured and crafted wood dashboard and straight 6 power plant pulling with rwd pushing !
The best definition yet!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:04 pm

having a roof or no roof is no issue I think.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

Then again I had this discussion also on Bimmerpost and some yanks over there even believe an suv is a sportscar because it has the word 'sports' in it.
So the definition can be as refined as the person saying it and vice versa it seems :lol:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:32 pm

GuidoK wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:04 pm on Bimmerpost and some yanks over there even believe an suv is a sportscar because it has the word 'sports' in it.
This is why they are aloud to carry guns in the USA. :wink:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:32 pm This is why they are aloud to carry guns in the USA.
Well I suppose if their Sport is shooting, they're gonna need something bigger than a 2 seater to haul a dead dear home!

So in simple terms "Sports Car" seems to mean whatever anyone thinks it is! :?
Last edited by Mr Tidy on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

noiseboy72

Post by noiseboy72 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Is it hard to get in and out of?
Is the ride appalling on anything other than a race track?
Does it have the fuel economy that would make a Sheikh think twice?
Will it turn on a six pence, even at 70MPH?
Will it leave your eyeballs pressing on the back of your skull when you press the loud pedal?
Do the neighbour's curtains twitch when you fire it up early on a Sunday morning?
Can you picture yourself setting a blistering time on the Goodwood hill climb while wearing your tweed cap and leather racing jacket and getting the nodding approval of the "chaps" for your efforts?

If the answer to all of the above is YES, it's a sports car :)
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:33 am

noiseboy72 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:57 pm Is it hard to get in and out of?
Is the ride appalling on anything other than a race track?
Does it have the fuel economy that would make a Sheikh think twice?
Will it turn on a six pence, even at 70MPH?
Will it leave your eyeballs pressing on the back of your skull when you press the loud pedal?
Do the neighbour's curtains twitch when you fire it up early on a Sunday morning?
Can you picture yourself setting a blistering time on the Goodwood hill climb while wearing your tweed cap and leather racing jacket and getting the nodding approval of the "chaps" for your efforts?

If the answer to all of the above is YES, it's a sports car :)
And do you get excited just looking at it.....and have an overwhelming desire to put the roof down even though you know you will freeze your knackers off?
Hmm coupes are for pussies..... :poke:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:09 am

montymog wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:31 pm marlon 's description of a sports car speaks volumes bloody nice shot of a sport car
Cheers fella :)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:20 am

buzyg wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:09 am
brillomaster wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:00 pm I think convertible or fixed roof matters not. I think important things are 2 seats maximum, 2 doors maximum, predominantly rwd, under 1500kgs. any 2+2 is a sports GT at best. any 4 door is a sports saloon at best. a 2 seat, 2 door car over 1500 kgs is a GT.
I like that definition - after all whether you had a DHC or FHC E-Type it was still a sports car! But the weight limit might mean F-Types are GTs! :lol:

PerryGunn wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:03 pm A sports car is what you drive when you're a bit of a cad...
terry-thomas-car.jpg
I say chaps...

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:43 pm

road warrior wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:20 am
buzyg wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:09 am

PerryGunn wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:03 pm A sports car is what you drive when you're a bit of a cad...
terry-thomas-car.jpg
I say chaps...
More tea caddy in this house. :D

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:45 am

Instinctively I want to say rear wheel drive, 2 seats, a big chunk of power and a vert.

1) Needs to be a Vert. But that said you've never going to convince me an E86, a Cayman or a 911 etc isn't a sports car, so there goes the vert aspect.
2) Rear wheel drive, well what about all those 4 drive 911s running around, you can't say the two wheel drives are a sports car and the four wheel drives aren't. Lets not even get onto front wheel drive Audi TT's etc! Ok lets go there for a minute for me a front wheel drive Audi TT is much more of a sports car than say a rear wheel drive Merc SLK/SLC or whatever they're calling it this week!
3) A big chunk of power, yes but er no! All those MX5's running around with as little as circa 115bhp. Again your not going to convince me they aren't sports cars. But that said and even referencing the above; re which wheels are driven, you probably ain't going to convince me a Ford Street Ka (remember them! :rofl: ) is! Maybe 0-60 rather than outright power/power to weight is a better measure.
4) 2 seater, again what about all those Audi TT's and 911.

Your kinda left with just "Small, reasonably light, nimble and fast." But then the likes of Fiesta/Clio's come into play and they ain't sports cars either.

In the end your head just hurts thinking about it! :rofl:

Anyway is this a sports car, its a vert after all! :rofl: :fuelfire:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-15744145
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)